Details on the Fan Fest, Women's Clinic, and Middle Tennessee viewing party

GopherLady

Reaction score
Just got this from a Gophersports email - kudos to them, once again, on the ample notice:

Gopher Football Fans, the season is just one month away! Mark your calendars now to help us kick-off the season with these fun events.

Fan Fest & Scrimmage

Bring your family and friends to this FREE Gopher Football Fan Fest! Event includes kid games and "Kids Run with Goldy," followed by a team scrimmage and autographs. Tailgate in the Maroon, Gold, Northstar, and Ski-U-Mah lots, 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Date: Saturday, Aug. 21
Time: Doors Open, 10 a.m. (Gates A & E)
Family Activities, 10 – 11:30 a.m.
Scrimmage, 10:45 a.m.
Autographs following scrimmage

Women's Football Clinic

Women are invited to join us for the fourth annual Gopher Nation Women's Clinic, hosted by the football coaching staff and players! Please register in advance at www.goallineclub.com. Dress comfortably in your best Gopher gear to take part in the interactive clinics and demonstrations.

Date: Friday, Aug. 27
Time: 5 – 8:30 p.m.
Fee: $25: includes beverages, light meal, and gift
Parking: $8 at the Oak St. Ramp, Washington Ave. Ramp, or University Ave. Ramp.
Questions: Please call 612.624.3826 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 612.624.3826 end_of_the_skype_highlighting or email [email protected]

Viewing Party

The Gophers kick-off the season on the road at Middle Tennessee. Join other Gopher Football fans to watch the game on the jumbotron at TCF Bank Stadium. General admission seating, including on the field (bring your blanket)! Concessions will be available for purchase; however food and drink may not be brought onto the field. Please note that high-heel shoes are not allowed on the field.

Date: Thursday, Sept. 2
Time: Doors open at 5 p.m. (Gates B & C), 6 p.m. kickoff
Parking: Oak St. Ramp

Wonder if they talked to anyone in the band at all before scheduling a viewing party while the band is supposed to be doing a rehearsal on the field....

The viewing party is an awesome thing. Was there as a student last year-and even with just a few hundred students it was really fun. I'm glad they opened it up to regular folks as well. Its a good chance to take friends who haven't been to the Bank before. Everyone needs to go!! I certainly will!

Although I know Goldy wont be there, there is a good chance that all or some of the band might be there -- they were last year and played their usual songs and cadences between plays as a practice run. They also practiced some of their halftime show for us.

Wonder if they talked to anyone in the band at all before scheduling a viewing party while the band is supposed to be doing a rehearsal on the field....

Athletics did talk to us about it. We will be rehearsing over at the indoor field during the viewing party.

Athletics did talk to us about it. We will be rehearsing over at the indoor field during the viewing party.

That's a shame. Why not come and entertain the folks? It was so much fun last time!

I enjoyed the scrimmage last year and wouldn't have missed it this year if it were not for the calling of the cabin. I'll have to miss it this year.

Gopher Lady tell us about the kick off luncheon

Pricy at $35 but well worth it

I may have to drag some friends to the stadium to watch the MTSU game! Watch the game thursday, leave Minneapolis on Friday, on the way to my parents' house catch my old high school football team in action (the game will actually be right on the route, which is nice) and then spend the weekend with my parents, hopefully getting them to entertain a toddler so I can relax.

Sounds like a good weekend. And we get to storm the field! :D Have to bring a football along.

You mean they make the band rehearse during a game? I'd figure most of the band would actually want to watch the game.

You mean they make the band rehearse during a game? I'd figure most of the band would actually want to watch the game.

True (and that does suck), but it also means that they're working their tails off to get ready for the next weekend at home. So hats off to them for that. :)

Ok, I'm not a band person at all, but is one 3 hour window going to make or break the performance?

I've generally noticed that band people tend to be the most raucous of fans. In the end, it's about football, not about marching around. Let the kids watch the game.

Ok, I'm not a band person at all, but is one 3 hour window going to make or break the performance?

I've generally noticed that band people tend to be the most raucous of fans. In the end, it's about football, not about marching around. Let the kids watch the game.

Maybe they could reschedule practice (after all- all college kids got is time to kill :p ) and attend too. That would solve the training time too. Or, how about the band does its own version of a reality show and show the public the training and practice they do in the stadium. Use the PA system for explanation and discussion pre-game and during breaks in play. Fans can sit on the field for a half and give it to the band for a half. I think it would be cool to see what the band actually practices and how. Great opportunity for the band folks to show all of the hard work behind the show. I travel for work and actually was on the Michigan State campus last fall and stopped and watched their band practice for about 15 minutes on the field across from the baseball field and Sparty statue. It was actually pretty interesting for someone who's experience with a band or music for that matter basically consists of listening to them. Whole new appreciation after watching that 15 min. We could do that and maybe win over some new band fans too...

If it were just those three hours, it wouldn't be a big deal. But it's those three hours plus the 8 hours we lose over two days for various welcome week activities and the 16 hours of rehearsal we lose after having to cut two days out of our camp because of budget cuts.

If it were just those three hours, it wouldn't be a big deal. But it's those three hours plus the 8 hours we lose over two days for various welcome week activities and the 16 hours of rehearsal we lose after having to cut two days out of our camp because of budget cuts.

Why on earth are people all of a sudden required to do the welcome week crap. Everyone tells me it's a bunch of garbage and a waste of time. My sister was a freshman in the band two years ago, and tells me how ridiculous it was, and that she would rather have been marching. When are these budget cuts going to cut something as useless as welcome week?

At least the band freshmen should be exempt. They're involved, they're making friends, they're learning their way around the U. Let them practice!! Plus I'm sure the freshmen are the ones who need the practice most of all!

Why on earth are people all of a sudden required to do the welcome week crap. Everyone tells me it's a bunch of garbage and a waste of time. My sister was a freshman in the band two years ago, and tells me how ridiculous it was, and that she would rather have been marching. When are these budget cuts going to cut something as useless as welcome week?

At least the band freshmen should be exempt. They're involved, they're making friends, they're learning their way around the U. Let them practice!! Plus I'm sure the freshmen are the ones who need the practice most of all!

The band freshmen get out of almost all of Welcome Week. But the band performs at two WW events. On Thursday, we rehearse for and then perform at Convocation (losing our morning rehearsal block). Then the freshmen are required to go to a College Day event where they meet with their advisors and faculty from within their major (so we lose our afternoon rehearsal block). On Friday we rehearse for and perform at the Pride and Spirit event (losing our evening rehearsal block).

Between the two days' activities, it costs us an entire day of rehearsal towards regular marching band activities.

Top Bottom