Despite flurry of activity, Gophers men’s basketball roster still has major questions

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

With two players expected back (Isaiah Ihnen and Both Gach) and one incoming signed recruit (Treyton Thompson), Minnesota has nine players on the roster and four remaining open spots. This means that while there has been a flurry of roster movement in the past few weeks, Johnson still has plenty of work to do, and there is yellow caution tape ribboned around an ongoing construction zone.

Go Gophers!!

Lots of time and talent still; patience is key as those four spots could swing it from doormat to contender.

Just curious, what do we make of Greder on UofM hoops? I can’t identify any major transgressions so far, but I feel like I’m still waiting on a fresh idea.

My level or worry goes up when I see a guy like Green deciding between us and Elon, Binghamton, UMKC etc. I don't know the kid but that's generally a sign we are scrapping the bottom of the barrel

My level or worry goes up when I see a guy like Green deciding between us and Elon, Binghamton, UMKC etc. I don't know the kid but that's generally a sign we are scrapping the bottom of the barrel
Don’t think choosing MN is an option. MN simply on that list because they contacted him at some point and checked him out. Doesn’t mean MN ever offered.

Waiting on the A&M kids is tough. 2 spots isn't a huge deal. 4 is. Do we have 4 or 2?
Agreed but assuming they end up transferring here I don't think it could be made official until coach McNeilly is officially named as a Minnesota Assistant. Otherwise it would look like he's recruiting his own players while still being on Texas A&Ms payroll.

I expect Cashius and Miller to transfer here and for it to be announced sometime in May alongside the hiring of McNeilly but it might not be a done deal.

Perhaps another Mav Ahanmisi.

I think this episode is from a couple of decades ago, but didn't a Gopher football coach put an ad in the Daily advertising try-outs for the punting position (it might have been the kicking position)?

Don't panic, lots of time,plenty of really good players out their,and still more being added every day. Gophers could be a top 25 team before this free agency thing is all done.

If we want a true center, the pickings are getting slim. Might have to go with a relatively unproven player (someone with decent recruiting ratings who didn't play much) if we can even get that.

At this point, there really aren't a lot of new players being added every day. Far more destinations are being announced than players entering.

Hope we have another PG in the queue.
Loewe is a PG, Stephens is a combo guard and can play PG as can Willis in a crunch. Need another big to play in the middle more I would think.

Could Ben have gotten off to a worst start. Where are all these guys now Ben is a great recruiter. Yikes this is embarrassing how bad he has done. Not one power 5 kid, about 2000 kids in free agency with guarantee starting spots and we can’t land anyone worth a darn. Can’t get Minnesota kids. But hey the star tribune and a few locals got him the job. I have say a big gophers guy this is so so bad.

Could Ben have gotten off to a worst start. Where are all these guys now Ben is a great recruiter. Yikes this is embarrassing how bad he has done. Not one power 5 kid, about 2000 kids in free agency with guarantee starting spots and we can’t land anyone worth a darn. Can’t get Minnesota kids. But hey the star tribune and a few locals got him the job. I have say a big gophers guy this is so so bad.
Could we have any worse 'fans.' Where are all the 5 guys that Ben pulled in within a week or two of being hired because he is a great recruiter. Yikes this is embarrassing how bad some of our 'fans' are. Not one but two power 5 kids coming from A&M to fill starting spots that are reportedly studs and worth a dam. A number of MN kids pulled from the portal in short order and returning home. But hey the star tribune didn't get him the job but a number of locals touted Ben for the job to an AD whose job is on the line if he makes a bad hire. I have say that gopherhoopsguy is so so bad.

Expecting a team with so many new faces to compete at a high level isn't fair to the coaches or the players.
Anything remotely close to .500 next season will be a great accomplishment.
Pitino did this every year and we expected better than .500. Are u saying we should have kept pitino?

Could we have any worse 'fans.' Where are all the 5 guys that Ben pulled in within a week or two of being hired because he is a great recruiter. Yikes this is embarrassing how bad some of our 'fans' are. Not one but two power 5 kids coming from A&M to fill starting spots that are reportedly studs and worth a dam. A number of MN kids pulled from the portal in short order and returning home. But hey the star tribune didn't get him the job but a number of locals touted Ben for the job to an AD whose job is on the line if he makes a bad hire. I have say that gopherhoopsguy is so so bad.
Have the A&M guys officially committed?

So without seeing a single one of these guys play for the Gophers you have decided they all aren't worth a darn because they didn't play at a power 5 school last year? Got it....

I would think ideally you get the Two A & M boys and then add a PG and True Big
Willis and Lowe will be our PGs this year. I’m guessing we leave those minutes wide open for Tre H in 2023

It is all assumed with the McNeilly hire. You can be positive or you can be negative, but we all have to be patient.
Has McNeilly officially been hired? I’m genuinely wondering. I’ve been off the board for a few weeks now.

Has McNeilly officially been hired? I’m genuinely wondering. I’ve been off the board for a few weeks now.
The speculation is there is something contract related that makes it so it can't happen until May. But seems like most in the know think it going to happen and that the two players will come with him.

Top Bottom