Desert dreams: P.J. Fleck likes where Gophers are headed five years into his tenure

This mentality is not unique to Fleck. I came across this article about Nick Saban when I was in a leadership program a while back. It’s easy to understand why Saban has been so successful. He is quoted saying essentially the same thing Fleck is saying about wins and losses.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasons...ck-saban-knows-about-success/?sh=4c9f05b31d52
I think a lot of coaches preach process/progress over outcome. Heard Brad Frost talk about that too. But I think Fleck is a better motivator than most coaches .

At what point do we say that Fleck is officially the best coach we have had in our current history?
I can think we say that now as to recent years, but there was a coach who won national championships.

As much as that chart has become a meme on here, you're exactly right. A key aspect I'd also like to point out is that the floor gets a bit higher with each drop-off. You look at teams like Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State; their letdown years are typically low to mid-tier bowl games. We're definitely seeing this program on the same trajectory.
Yep, the trajectory is the key. There are going to be dips for pretty much every team but as long as you are moving in the right direction overall there is nothing wrong with that.

Fans want to win 10+ games every year, but there are only a handful of teams where that is a realistic expectation.

From what I’m reading sounds like Saban has always been a strong recruiter. I can’t find any class rankings for the Spartans in the 90’s when he was there. I suspect he wasn’t taking his pick of blue chippers though, at least early on.

Probably true.

He was 9-2 in his only year at Toledo. Though in his 5 seasons at MSU, he was 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5 and 9-2. Also good to note that when he went to the NFL we found out what happens when he's coaching against teams with equal talent.

His Miami Dolphins teams went 15-17. 12 days after he told people he was staying on at Miami he quit to go back to college and the Crimson Tide.

At least unlike NY Jets Head Coach Lou Holtz, Saban stayed until the end of the season.

He's had a great record as a College Head Coach. Just that his overall record says that was mainly built on the talent he had. He does deserve some credit for getting that talent there.

Probably true.

He was 9-2 in his only year at Toledo. Though in his 5 seasons at MSU, he was 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5 and 9-2. Also good to note that when he went to the NFL we found out what happens when he's coaching against teams with equal talent.

His Miami Dolphins teams went 15-17. 12 days after he told people he was staying on at Miami he quit to go back to college and the Crimson Tide.

At least unlike NY Jets Head Coach Lou Holtz, Saban stayed until the end of the season.

He's had a great record as a College Head Coach. Just that his overall record says that was mainly built on the talent he had. He does deserve some credit for getting that talent there.
This is off-topic:

It is unconscionable that Lou Holtz received the Medal of Freedom.

A lot more people have done a lot more for the betterment of humanity and society that are more deserving of this honor.

We’re in something called the Guaranteed Rate Bowl playing a 6-6 West Virginia team on December 28th. I guess that’s not exactly where I want to be.

This is off-topic:

It is unconscionable that Lou Holtz received the Medal of Freedom.

A lot more people have done a lot more for the betterment of humanity and society that are more deserving of this honor.
Yeah but not a lot of more famous people have said more nice things to the President

Top Bottom