DeRusha: Fleck at Fundraiser

It's a mystery to me why major college football programs continue to hire (and pay!) numbskulls to coach their teams when there are so many people with superior football knowledge available for the job, everywhere you look — or at least we see them on every fan board.

If DeRusha was shocked by the people at the event questioning Fleck's abilities, he has clearly not spent any time perusing Gopher Hole. We see it here every day.

It's a mystery to me why major college football programs continue to hire (and pay!) numbskulls to coach their teams when there are so many people with superior football knowledge available for the job, everywhere you look — or at least we see them on every fan board.

If DeRusha was shocked by the people at the event questioning Fleck's abilities, he has clearly not spent any time perusing Gopher Hole. We see it here every day.
Well in person is a bit different.

I’ve seen PJ out and about a few times. I left him to do his thing / not going to waste his time with my stupid ideas.

Last edited:

Gotta be rough as a HC at times with fans with ideas.

The “ideas guys” are my worst nemesis when it comes to coding.

Seems kind of inappropriate to bother a coach at a fundraiser. They may be public figures but nobody wants to be bugged by rubes. I have always thought of this site or message board as a fan shooting the breeze with other Gopher fans. I know we critique and say things, about plays calls and performance, but at end of the day, we just have simple opinions, share ideas and hopes, all of that should be taken with a grain of salt and not that serious. We are mostly bs'ing or comiserating here, we are fans and novices, not any one of us is an expert, and we can only relate at most, of playing in grade school, middle, and HS at most. WITH a few exceptions, We are avid fans mixed in with trolls. It's great that fans are engaged, but at a private event, with another purpose, have some scrupples and leave the man alone.

I can just envision the guy three sheets to the wind telling PJ how going to the wing T will unlock the sleeping giant that is Minnesota football
ANYWAY I WAS WATCHING LITTLE BIG LEAGUE LIKE I USUALLY DO ON THURSDAYS DURING THE OFF-SEASON AND I GOT TO THINKING…..

When my son was playing high school football, in a state quarter final game, one of the Dad's was hanging out at the fence calling one of the coaches over and giving him "pointers". We lost the game even with his "brillance". Some people just think they know.

Last edited:

I would guess that its at least a couple of things. 1) a lot of people think that they know a lot about sports, 2) Coach's job performances are public and a live audience is part and parcel to their jobs. So a lot of people will critique them. I think that it was Barriero who said that college coaches who do not want to be subjected to constant evaluation should work at the Division III level. But still, as gopherdude2 wrote, leave him alone at a fundraiser.

I would guess that its at least a couple of things. 1) a lot of people think that they know a lot about sports, 2) Coach's job performances are public and a live audience is part and parcel to their jobs. So a lot of people will critique them. I think that it was Barriero who said that college coaches who do not want to be subjected to constant evaluation should work at the Division III level. But still, as gopherdude2 wrote, leave him alone at a fundraiser.
Also parents at a d3 game and a 10th grade game are also critical of coaches and play calling

If you don’t want to be criticized the only option is to not coach

Gotta be rough as a HC at times with fans with ideas.

The “ideas guys” are my worst nemesis when it comes to coding.

Unfortunately HR put the kibosh on my use of rat traps to control the idea hamsters. Now we have "leaders" running around rooting everything up like a hoard of feral hogs. :)

I don’t think PJ minds criticism but him attending a fundraiser might be good for that charity/group. Him being approached and annoyed could lead to him doing less public events. Criticize all you want but leave him alone in public. That’s my stance.

Did anyone tell him to not be one of the least throwing teams in D1?

If so, I would like to shake that fans hand at the fundraiser.

If PJ spends too much time on the fundraising circuit all the starters are going to get benched as soon as the Gophers have a 7 point lead against any team they are favored to beat.

Disguised statue of liberty play called stairway to free bird in the playbook. That'll throw 'em off.

If he was dumbfounded by this he has clearly never been to a high school football game or a 7th grade traveling basketball game
It's why my wife quit going to high school games I was coaching. I think she made it through one.

I see a series of Progressive commercials in the future where coaches show up to fan's places of work to watch them, yell at them and tell them how to do their jobs better - having limited to no subject matter expertise other than having used a computer at some point in their lives.

I see a series of Progressive commercials in the future where coaches show up to fan's places of work to watch them, yell at them and tell them how to do their jobs better - having limited to no subject matter expertise other than having used a computer at some point in their lives.
That's actually brilliant.

Top Bottom