Derrick Engel

gophervet

Reaction score
Saw on the d2messageboard that Derrick Engel from Winona State is leaving there and walking on at the University of Minnesota. If I remember correctly, he was a pretty decent receiver in high school and they say he was the best receiver at WSU. Probably a decent depth filler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs2nA5RzH1c
Looks pretty good in the highlights. Of course they're highlights and I don't really know what kind of competition they play either. I only watched about 2 min of highlights but he seemed to have to slow down for some of the long throws and looked to have pretty decent hops. If true welcome aboard Derrick!:D

I remember he was being recruited at the same time as Nick Rengel...couldn't keep them straight at first!

by the way, where did Nick Rengel end up?

Anyone see this kid play at Winona?
His highlights look like he's got better than D2 speed which is a plus and might help him when he gets to the U.
I remember his situation being he was offered a preferred walk on in 09, he was that year's Zach Vraa or Zach Vraa was Derrick Engel II. Basically a nice athlete with good linear speed.
He's outmuscling, burning, and outjumping alot of D2 dbacks in this video, of his freshman year.
At the very least he's another potential player at a thin position.

Derrick Engel-Chaska MN

Word is Derrick Engel - So WR Winona State ( Chaska HS ) is transferring from Winona State to a Div 1 program and is interested in the Gophers. He led the NCAA Div 2 his true freshmen year at 27.48 yards per catch and was Ist team all NSIC last year as Sophomore with QB issues. He is running a 4.37-40 and 37 inch vertical make him attactive to a Div 1 program like MN who is looking for dept at WR and especially a game changer with speed. He has a transfer year and two full years of eligibility. He was granted his release by WSU this week.

I would be willing to bet WSU has never had a wr who ran a 4.37. Not sure if the Gophers have had one either. Anyway sounds like a good get. Can he play next yeear? I assume no.

He will have to sit out but Jerry is building for the future and getting a local kid that can run is a big plus.

Transfer Rules

He will have to sit out but Jerry is building for the future and getting a local kid that can run is a big plus.

I believe a Division 2 transfer does not have to sit out if he is transfering to a Division 1 school. Can anybody verify this?

I also recall that our new transfer kicker doesn't have to sit out this year because he was a walk on at his former school.

I believe a Division 2 transfer does not have to sit out if he is transfering to a Division 1 school. Can anybody verify this?

I also recall that our new transfer kicker doesn't have to sit out this year because he was a walk on at his former school.

NCAA rules say a player can move down with no penalty but not up. Derrick will have to set out a year and will have two years left. (he did not burn his redshirt)
If the transfer kicker you are referring to is from UNO then penalty is waived because UNO dropped football.

NCAA rules say a player can move down with no penalty but not up. Derrick will have to set out a year and will have two years left. (he did not burn his redshirt)
If the transfer kicker you are referring to is from UNO then penalty is waived because UNO dropped football.

I think the kicker he's referring to is the one from NC State, Chris Hawthorne. In his case, he doesn't have to sit out because he was a walk-on and never received financial aid. He is on scholarship here, so the rules say he's eligible to play immediately.

dpodoll68

I think the kicker he's referring to is the one from NC State, Chris Hawthorne. In his case, he doesn't have to sit out because he was a walk-on and never received financial aid. He is on scholarship here, so the rules say he's eligible to play immediately.

Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciated it when we actually have hopefully good information and not somebody's theory. In that spirit do you have any insight on the following questions?

Wouldn't that mean then if Engel's didn't receive any financial aid at Winona State if he would not have to sit out a year? This then begs the question did he receive any financial aid and if so does it only apply to football financial aid or is it any kind of aid?

On a related subject is it normal for a school like Winona State to give out football scholarships?

Anybody should feel free to respond to these questions.

On a related subject is it normal for a school like Winona State to give out football scholarships?
To my knowledge D-II's commonly give out scholarships. Not sure how many or if Engel got one.

Yeah, Engel was sort of a prized D2 recruit, I would be shocked if he didn't receive a scholarship of some sort at WSU, in which case, he'd have to sit out a season.

Similar to Ed Cotton from Concordia and Kyle Henderson from Mankato, both DII NSIC teams like WSU, he would use his red shirt during his mandatory transfer sit-out year this season. Yes, he was on a partial scholarship at WSU.

Top Bottom