Derrick Brown

HitMeAgainIAmStillMoving

Reaction score
Brown did nothing against Gophers in bowl game. Now I see him going in top ten in draft. Kudos to the O Line for shutting him down.

I've seen a few people have him as one of the 2 of 3 best players in the draft with Young, Burrow, and/or Simmons, certainly didn't see it in the Outback Bowl.

The Auburn DL as a unit in particular was highly touted going into the game.

Have no idea of the actual stats off the top of my head, but thinking they got very few sacks or even pressures on Morgan, and few tackles for loss on our running game.

The Auburn DL as a unit in particular was highly touted going into the game.

Have no idea of the actual stats off the top of my head, but thinking they got very few sacks or even pressures on Morgan, and few tackles for loss on our running game.
Gophers blocking scheme neutralized the Auburn D Line. Auburn played 2 deep safeties and dared Gophs to beat them in the run game, refused to bring an 8th man into the box until late in the game. At which point we burned them with the pass

He did make some plays against us. A lot of combo blocks and double teams were sent his way.
We weren’t able to punch the ball in with Seth going up the middle against him. Something that rarely happens.

Small tagent to basketball

I saw James Harden play in one game at ASU, in the NCAA tourney. He was trash.

I thought he was going to suck in the NBA.

Whoops. Lesson learned. Brown didnt impress me in game, but I aint doubting him or the scouts

The Auburn DL wasn't bad at all in that game, we just got them going side to side, doubled and chipped the big guys, and blocked well at the 2nd level. Plus we had a big advantage on the outside so it was often 7 on 7 in the run game

I think our offense really focused on isolating Brown and did everything to avoid him being able to do much on his own.

I think it was more so Auburn didn't free him up much and their defense didn't step up when we were double teaming him or making them run sideways.

Like a lot of Auburn that day it felt like they never made us pay for anything we did that day. If we double teamed brown or ran away from him, nobody was there to make us pay for that ... so yeah we could just avoid him / for the most part.

It seemed like sometimes they were letting him break through the line and either ran behind him to the void he just created or moved the line his direction and created gaping holes the other side. Basically let him use his speed to take himself out of the play. Kudos to the offensive coaches, especially Simon, for coming up with such a great game plan. On the same sense, shame on Gus Malzahn for not figuring out something needed to change.

There is also a fundamental belief that many first-round potentials, are a bit more physically conservative during bowl games as they do not want to get hurt.

Loved that last drive of the game where our OL dominated their DL. One play in particular, near the end, when we did a RUM and just kept moving the pile forward. I'll give Brown credit for playing in the game though. He went into that game knowing he was a first rounder. He could have played is safe and pulled out, but he did play. Kudos for doing that.

Has anyone else seen this viscous tackle? I’ll be honest, it made me scared for Morgan when I saw it prior to the game.

Yikes. 'Nuff said except maybe uffda.

Glad we did not run that experiment in the game.

Progress.

Loved that last drive of the game where our OL dominated their DL. One play in particular, near the end, when we did a RUM and just kept moving the pile forward. I'll give Brown credit for playing in the game though. He went into that game knowing he was a first rounder. He could have played is safe and pulled out, but he did play. Kudos for doing that.
Yeah that scrum to finish it was brutal.

Top Bottom