Depth Chart

WestBank08

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm an alum living out of state, wondering if anyone has anything close to what would be a mock depth chart for the Gophs this year? Obviously it is way too early for anything set in stone, but I'm just looking for something more useful than a roster list.

Thanks

Just a quick estimate...

OFFENSE
QB: Weber / Gray
RB: Bennett / Eskridge / Whaley
WR: Decker / Kuznia / Brandon
WR: Green / Pittman / McKnight
WR: Carpenter / Allen
TE: Tow-Arnett / Lair / Hageman
LT: Alford / Meinke
LG: Wynn / Burris
C: Davis / Tow-Arnett
RG: Carufel / Tavale
RT: Wills / Stommes

DEFENSE
SDE: Jacobs / Henderson
DT: Small / Edwards
DT: Brown / Moen / Kirkesy
WDE: Onwauchi / McKinley
OLB: Lawrence / Reeves / Sharpe
MLB: Campbell / Maresh / Triplett
OLB: Cooper / Rallis / Tinsley
CB: Simmons / Collado / Stoudamire
CB: Sherels / Carter / Paige
SS: Theret / Watkins
FS: Royston / Dandridge / Lewis

Don't forget Hoese at FB. You can bet we'll see an I a lot more frequently now than in the last two years.

Stommes will be starting at LT, Alford at LG.

Wynn will be in a three-way battle at C.

Switch McKinley and Onwuachi on the depth chart.

Triplett will probably start at OLB early and then give way to Cooper, not unlike what happened with Lawrence last year.

Rallis is a FS, not an OLB. He and Royston will push each other to start.

Dandridge is more likely to play SS.

I wouldn't put Watkins or Lewis anywhere near a top two on the depth chart. We're in a position where we can afford to redshirt those two, and I'd be disappointed if we don't.

Paige? Do you mean Taikwon? He will be suiting up for Auburn this fall.

I believe Meinke is no longer with the team. I think Orton is backing up Wills.

Correct on Meinke...dp has everything right...I'll add: McKnight ahead of Pittman...Hageman ahead of Lair...Hageman will play a lot...they really like his ability...that Center spot is up in the air...Cooper will eventually start, but look for Triplett early...Dandridge vs. Theret in a summer battle to start opposite Royston.

Yes...sorry...missed that...they have big plans for T. Stoud...he'll be used in the slot a bunch...and be given the ball on end-arounds...between special teams returns and catches/runs, he should get 7-10 touches a game.

LT: Alford / Meinke
LG: Wynn / Burris
C: Davis / Tow-Arnett
RG: Carufel / Tavale
RT: Wills / Stommes
I'm sure what you meant to say was

LT: Stommes/Orton/Ruckdashel
LG: Alford/Tavale/Michel
C: Tow-Arnett/Davis/Wynn
RG: Carufel/Burris/Olson
RT: Wills/Bunders/Brinkhaus

These are just nominal. I think Orton will be the first guy off the bench at either tackle. If one of the starting tackles goes down for an extended period, Alford will probably move there and Tavale, Burris, Davis or Wynn will slide over to LG. Long-term, Bunders is probably a guard and Michel a tackle. Next year's O-line might be

LT: (Henderson)/Orton
LG: Burris/Olson
C: Davis/Wynn
RG: Carufel/Bunders
RT: Wills/Alford

One more change

I think at running back it's going to be: Bennett, Whaley, and Eskridge. Whaley got a ton of carries during Spring Practices and I think the coaches like his big play potential. Eskridge will see his carries also.

Triplett will start camp first on the depth chart at WLB. Reeves will probably start #2 on the depth chart at that position.

Cooper will be backing up Lawrence at the SLB position. Putting Lawrence and Cooper at different linebacker positions is a mistake in any depth chart.

Tinsley should be moved to MLB from OLB. You shuuld also have Grant at the WLB (the position with Triplett & Reeves).

I'm not aware of any plans to move Rallis to OLB. He has lost some weight to help with his agility and speed at DB so you might as well pencil him in to a backup SS role behind Theret. Rallis is good in run support and doesn't have great speed (similar traits of Theret) so he fits much better at SS than FS. Having watched Watkins in person he looks more like a FS and based on Lewis film he is great in run support and is more likely to play SS but can also play CB (nickel/dime situations).

Dpodoll you better get ready to be disappointed because Lewis & Watkins won't redshirt. They'll likely be used on special teams.

As far as starters on the OL go follow BrianW's list but LG and C are an open competition and it probably isn't worth including any freshman OL on the chart because they'll probably redshirt.

As far as starters on the OL go follow BrianW's list but LG and C are an open competition and it probably isn't worth including any freshman OL on the chart because they'll probably redshirt.
I agree on both points. I was only including the true freshmen because I had 3 centers and I wanted to go 3-deep at all 5 positions. If Michel or Olson plays this year (on offense) I will be shocked.

I think the competitions at LG and C will be the most fascinating stories of fall camp.

At LG you have:
Tavale with the most experience but perhaps the least talented overall
Alford who seems to fit the physical archetype Davis is looking for but has limited experience at G
Burris who is technically pretty sound but not as physically dominant
If none of these guys steps up you could also see one of the centers move over here.

At C you have:
JTA, a senior and physically mature, but the least athletic of the group (and coming off an injury)
Davis who is very sound technically, but possibly undersized for what Coach Davis wants to do
Wynn who has all the physical tools but is trying to find a home after conclusively demonstrating last season that he is NOT a tackle. I would prefer to see him at guard but what do I know?

If it were my choice, Burris and JTA would be starting. Fortunately for all concerned, it's not my choice.

I like Burris to win a starting role at LG and Davis or Tow-Arnett at Center--I'll go with Davis.

Top Bottom