Depth Chart For Sept. 6 Game Released

Nice to see Richardson starting at NT. I hope he doesn't wear down too much as we get late in the season though.

Was Jon C. there last week as a 2? Hope he can play already...

A lot of youth up front on D, but they're athletes and while they'll make some mistakes they can run and recover well. And, we don't need 300 lbers playing DT I'd rather have lighter kids that can run and play vs. Legania or the Timms et al who are heavier; mostly in the feet. Epke was the best of both worlds, and we'll hope he recovers fully for '15.

Just in terms of numbers, we will (knock on wood) return a lot of starters next year.

I don't usually look at these. Cool to see Elmore in the two-deeps already.

When I look at the chart with Tyler Hartman at 6'3" and 245, it would be simple to just line up in the I and blast the afternoon away.

Was Jon C. there last week as a 2? Hope he can play already...

Without looking back I believe he was listed as an "OR" with Connor Mayes as the backup at that spot last week. Now he's there by himself.

When I look at the chart with Tyler Hartman at 6'3" and 245, it would be simple to just line up in the I and blast the afternoon away.

Easier said than done.

In Kill's offense the fullback and/or H backs need to make a lot of correct reads or the play blows up. These guys need to know the assignment of pretty much everyone on the field for it to work correctly.

DC Cobb

Easier said than done.

In Kill's offense the fullback and/or H backs need to make a lot of correct reads or the play blows up. These guys need to know the assignment of pretty much everyone on the field for it to work correctly.

Yea, the game will be on the back of David 'DC Cobb' Cobb. That's word play that refers back to a movie from about 1982 see IMDB DC Cab...DC Cobb. Hoping Daily Gopher doesn't run with this one.

I don't usually look at these. Cool to see Elmore in the two-deeps already.

To me it depends on the reason he is on the two-deep as a true freshman. If he is there because he is dominant and has real chance to make an impact on the field this fall then that is great. If he is there because the guys that should be more experienced just aren't good enough or injured that is another deal.

Yeah, but our FBs played poorly last week regardless of how big they are. Needs to be much improved week two or very quickly Mike Henry will be the most missed player off last year's team.

Sorry, four senior starters on offense, four on defense.

Yeah, and even that is extremely misleading. Most of those seniors either already rotate with an underclassman who's just as good, or are going to be replaced by someone better next year (e.g. Jeff Jones and Edwards for Cobb) or an experienced guy working his way back from injury (Poock for D Wilson, Bobek for T Olson, etc.).

Looking at these two-deeps, thinking of all the linemen coming back a year stronger and more experienced and the QB and WR's all with another year under their belts ... I can't help but think we're going to be really good next year.

Most of those seniors either already rotate with an underclassman who's just as good, or are going to be replaced by someone better next year (e.g. Jeff Jones and Edwards for Cobb)

How do you figure that Jones and Edwards are better than Cobb? Cobb last year rushed for the most yards Minnesota has had in a while. I'll eat my hat if Edwards ever gets 1,200 rushing yards in a season...and Jones might never even suit up for the Gophers.

or an experienced guy working his way back from injury (Poock for D Wilson, Bobek for T Olson, etc.).

Experienced? Poock has played as many Division I-A snaps as you or me, and Bobek has taken a handful of snaps in 3 total games.

Yeah, but our FBs played poorly last week regardless of how big they are. Needs to be much improved week two or very quickly Mike Henry will be the most missed player off last year's team.

Agreed - our group noticed the same thing. We couldn't decide who was playing the worst of the guys that were rotating in.

Did Gibson play at all at FB/HB? I think he may have been in on special teams, but I don't recall seeing him lined up at either FB or HB.

Agreed - our group noticed the same thing. We couldn't decide who was playing the worst of the guys that were rotating in.

Did Gibson play at all at FB/HB? I think he may have been in on special teams, but I don't recall seeing him lined up at either FB or HB.

No, Gibson didn't play at all. Not even on ST.

I Amaefula banged up, or has Ekpe beat him our for the starting spot?

I Amaefula banged up, or has Ekpe beat him our for the starting spot?

This is pretty typical of the staff. If a guy gets hurt they usually ease him back in to the lineup especially if his replacement is playing well, which by all accounts Hank had a pretty good game Thursday. Amaefula will see some time tomorrow and if he plays well he might be listed as the starter again in the near future.

How do you figure that Jones and Edwards are better than Cobb? Cobb last year rushed for the most yards Minnesota has had in a while. I'll eat my hat if Edwards ever gets 1,200 rushing yards in a season...and Jones might never even suit up for the Gophers.

Yes, David 'DC Cobb' was the rushing leader for MN last year.

Just in terms of numbers, we will (knock on wood) return a lot of starters next year.

That is correct but don't say it is a young team. That is because when Kill once said that there were those who said he was just making excuses.

When you look at the roster you can see how Kill has been building up both the team's depth and quality. In basketball you can do it in a short time with a few players but with football it takes time and patience. With that you can then begin to turn a program around. But there are those who believe you do it by saying 'It is all about Big Ten wins'. Only a simpleton would believe that.

lets see, 41 I blast, 42 I blast. Tyler take out the linebacker. 47 off tackle, 48 off tackle. Tyler take out the linebacker. How difficult is that. Now if we run 49 pitch sweep he could be taking the inside linebacker, sealing the defensive end, or pinning the outside linebacker. If its 48 pitch the same thing. And when was the last time you saw 35 full back divide? This isn't that dam difficult. Its execution.

We had more complicated assignments then that in high school. maybe the gophs keep that simple of a blocking scheme.

Edwards will never see 237 carries in a season like Cobb did last year, nor is it likely that anyone else will for quite a while. Outside of Chad Spann in 2011, you have to go back at LEAST as far as 2006 to find an RB for a Kill/Limegrover team that had as many carries as Cobb last year. Cobb benefited big time from Kirkwood getting dinged up and Nugget finding himself in and out of the staff's doghouse last year.

The original point is correct though; Edwards just doesn't have the frame to tote the ball 230+ times in a season. It's not going to happen. That doesn't mean he's not "better" than Cobb, he's a different player and he'll be used differently.

That's not always a positive. Someone posted returning starter numbers by team over the last few years and Purdue had 18-19 returning starters every year.

That's not always a positive. Someone posted returning starter numbers by team over the last few years and Purdue had 18-19 returning starters every year.

If we go 8-4 again this year it will most definitely be a good thing.

Top Bottom