Denny T Sanford Donates 12.5 Million to South Dakota State Football

UofMdad

Reaction score
Sanford donated the money to the football program. The stadium will be named Dana Dykhouse Stadium. Dana is the CEO of First Premier Bank which is owned by Sanford as is Premier Bankcard. Too bad Denny held hostage his contribution to the U's Athletic facilities depending on the merger of Sanford Hospital and the U's hospital operations. :(

This guy can go to hell. We need to stop talking about him.

CORRECTION: Denny and Dana contributed the 12.5 million. Correction comes from my wife

That's how we should treat all the big donors. We don't need them. What a great idea...

You have a point Sparlimb, but in Denny's case, it's one thing to give to one's own university and another to act like a spoiled child when Denny could not get the merger that he wanted. As you know, this goes back to the U's football stadium and Denny's demands. But, it's his money to do with as he pleases.

You have a point Sparlimb, but in Denny's case, it's one thing to give to one's own university and another to act like a spoiled child when Denny could not get the merger that he wanted. As you know, this goes back to the U's football stadium and Denny's demands. But, it's his money to do with as he pleases.

Yet again, Sanford does not own the health system. He is a large donor to a not for profit entity. And it was the U that put any cultivation of a donation from Sanford on ice during the Fairview/Sanford merger scrutiny. Lastly, Sanford had previously given to SDSU, along with Dykhaus when they gave $6 million for SDSUs current football team facility. He's also given to the University of South Dakota for academic buildings in the name of his lieutenants. He's loyal to those who are loyal to him. He's a U grad, and has contributed to the Bank so it's not as if he's forgotten his alma mater. But he's made his fortune in SD and has more ties there through his work. It seems as if the tantrums aren't being thrown by him but by message board posters who think they know best what others should do with their money.

Yet again, Sanford does not own the health system.

Correct. They only named the system after him because of his gift of $600? Million (total of multiple donations I think) to previously known as Sioux Valley Health. Since then everyone has assumed that the health system is his.

And it was the U that put any cultivation of a donation from Sanford on ice during the Fairview/Sanford merger scrutiny.

I'm not sure that this is true.
IIRC, UMN offered to purchase Fairview in January 2013 after having merging it's university hospital(s) with Fairview in the 90's. Sanford Health had a competing merger offer early '13 with Fairview which came after UMN's, and it looked like that was they way it was headed. At that time the MN Attorney General started questioning the merger because of concerns about out of state companies having control of UMN hospitals, taxing, etc. At which point Sanford Health rescinded their offer and shortly thereafter Fairview rejected UMN's offer. IMO the biggest cause of the derailment of the merger was the public outcry that the AG riled up.

Either way, my guess is that it has more to do with how the football stadium played out than the broken merger that has this guy pissed. I don't think he has a lot to do with the healthcare side. I do however find all this fascinating because of all the connections involved.

TCF vs Premier Bank:
Both have received quite a bit of criticism because of dirty practices. TCF's business plan is hidden fee based and Premier charges large interest rates. And... We would be happy to take money from either in the name of gopher sports. Ironically, as of 2009ish "Twin Cities Financial" bank is also headquartered in Sioux Falls SD.

Sanford Health CEO - Kelby Krabbenhoft is the father of former WI basketballer Joe Krabbenhoft. Joe is now an asst. coach at SDSU.

SD millionaire gives millions to SD school. It really shouldn't be a story here except for this desire to play footsie with the U. Stop playing footsie with him and tap your other donors. Good lord. Denny Sanford is not T. Boone Pickens or Phil Knight. Move on.

I don't care how Sanford spends his money. Were it not for Sanford Health and their Cardiac Care Professionals, I would be dead today. I would have died in April of 2007.

I have now outlived the first of my ICD's, now have a new one, and my goal is to outlive the life of this one (6-7 years).

I'm not sure that this is true.

http://mankatofreepress.com/statene...ends-donation-talks-in-light-of-hospital-deal

And who said that Sanford is pissed about anything having to do with the U? Even though Sanford's initial stadium involvement was derailed, he did end up making a sizeable donation to the completion of TCF. As another poster said, South Dakota millionaire gives big donation to South Dakota school, one which one of his top lieutenants played football for. That shouldn't be a huge surprise.

Why is it that the Dakota schools up and down interstate 29 are making tremendous improvements on athletic facilities (in the case of South Dakota State, there will have been spent about $100,000,000.00 in the span of 1/2 decade) while the U can hardly afford toilet paper?

Good for SDSU then! They've needed to renovate their football complex and now they can. So be it that we didn't get the money, can't hate the guy. It is not your money, it's his.

http://mankatofreepress.com/statene...ends-donation-talks-in-light-of-hospital-deal

And who said that Sanford is pissed about anything having to do with the U? Even though Sanford's initial stadium involvement was derailed, he did end up making a sizeable donation to the completion of TCF. As another poster said, South Dakota millionaire gives big donation to South Dakota school, one which one of his top lieutenants played football for. That shouldn't be a huge surprise.

Why is it that the Dakota schools up and down interstate 29 are making tremendous improvements on athletic facilities (in the case of South Dakota State, there will have been spent about $100,000,000.00 in the span of 1/2 decade) while the U can hardly afford toilet paper?

Or maybe this isn't a great sports state.

If he had given this money to seed a new practice facility here, I bet the opinions here would be a lot different.

If he had given this money to seed a new practice facility here, I bet the opinions here would be a lot different.

O Rly? The point most of us were making is that he felt jilted about not being able to do whatever he wanted at the U (specifically the TCF and Merger situations) so he decided to donate a whole bunch of money to another athletic department.

Bingo. People are just mad that he didn't donate HIS money to the U. Now we have to go find another cash cow to suck from...hmm I wonder where we can find that in Minnesota? :rolleyes:

Bingo. People are just mad that he didn't donate HIS money to the U. Now we have to go find another cash cow to suck from...hmm I wonder where we can find that in Minnesota? :rolleyes:

Zigi has a lot of bucks and will soon have a lot more.:cool02:

And absolutely no connection to the U.

You're joking, right?

I hadn't actually thought of this before, but yeah, in a couple years Zygi could very be in the mix as a major donor to U athletics, specifically football. There would be very good reason.

You're joking, right?

I hadn't actually thought of this before, but yeah, in a couple years Zygi could very be in the mix as a major donor to U athletics, specifically football. There would be very good reason.

Maybe I'm missing something, what is his connection? Just simply the fact that he is paying to rent our stadium? I wouldn't consider that a legitimate connection in regard to donations. It's a business relationship.

That's not true. I wanted him to donate here, but I'm not mad that he didn't. What I am mad at is how he tried to pull a fast one on us. I don't want anyone's money donated to the U if he's trying to get something out of it other than personal satisfaction for donating money.

Bingo.

That's not true. I wanted him to donate here, but I'm not mad that he didn't. What I am mad at is how he tried to pull a fast one on us. I don't want anyone's money donated to the U if he's trying to get something out of it other than personal satisfaction for donating money.

You don't think TCF got something financial out of donating to the stadium? They had and I believe continue to get exclusive rights to the U card. How many students over the past 20 years have opened accounts with them due to this arrangement and how much money has TCF made off of these students. I would venture that TCF has made far more off the university and its students than it has contributed to the U.

You don't think TCF got something financial out of donating to the stadium? They had and I believe continue to get exclusive rights to the U card. How many students over the past 20 years have opened accounts with them due to this arrangement and how much money has TCF made off of these students. I would venture that TCF has made far more off the university and its students than it has contributed to the U.

You assume I am ok with that deal as well. I am not. If it were for only naming rights, I would still be against it, only less so.

Also, TCF and the U entered into a legal contract. Sanford was trying to trying to bribe the U or enter into a pay for olay "wink wink" deal. The two "deals" aren't legally equal.

I stand corrected - I missed this the first time around. Pissed maybe too harsh a word, but things definitely aren't well when an loaded alumni goes out of his way to announce that he will not be donating anything further to the U.

Denny makes plenty of money from the hospitals because of his banking interests

http://www.startribune.com/business/206116291.html

I'd hazard a guess that Sioux Valley was also using Premier Bank's collection services before Sanford's donation.

Also - from the last paragraph of this link is a telling dialog about the stadium deal:

"In 2003, Knudson said, he played a “modest” role when Denny Sanford tried to make a $35 million cornerstone donation for a new Gophers football stadium. The U ultimately rejected that deal, saying too many strings were attached, including naming rights.

“It was Dave Knudson who said, ‘Hey Kelby, I know a guy who isn’t feeling very good right now about how he has been treated over a football stadium at the University of Minnesota,’ ” Krabbenhoft recalled."

You assume I am ok with that deal as well. I am not. If it were for only naming rights, I would still be against it, only less so.

Also, TCF and the U entered into a legal contract. Sanford was trying to trying to bribe the U or enter into a pay for olay "wink wink" deal. The two "deals" aren't legally equal.

Maybe not legally equal at face value. The TCF/U relationship is drawing attention on the national scale because of the payments the U is getting from TCF from the student cards.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/06/university-of-minnesota-tcf-bank_n_3875185.html
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=20436056&sid=3029941

Can you please provide proof of the "bribe"? I really would like to read more about this.

Top Bottom