Dennis Evans moves to number 11 Nationally on Rivals

If Henley goes, Evans goes. Mark my words.

Enough with the Doom filler. Evans and the academics of Minnesota are a great match. Evans and the relationship / continued development from Coach Ben Johnson are a match. When Minnesota is romping in the NCAA tournament, Evans has his signature on that which will be on his life resume for the rest of his life. Evans is going to get what he really cares about in Minnesota and then a great career in the NBA. First, enjoy university life at Minnesota and the spoils of success in basketball.

Henley is valued here. He's getting minutes. He has a ways to go before he knows exactly what to do and do it well, and Ben will bring him along.

Why do we talk about this nonsense? We have enough trouble if the people we have stay. Henley is getting a great opportunity here and Coach Ben is likeable. I very much doubt he is going anywhere.
Enough with the Doom filler. Evans and the academics of Minnesota are a great match. Evans and the relationship / continued development from Coach Ben Johnson are a match. When Minnesota is romping in the NCAA tournament, Evans has his signature on that which will be on his life resume for the rest of his life. Evans is going to get what he really cares about in Minnesota and then a great career in the NBA. First, enjoy university life at Minnesota and the spoils of success in basketball.

Henley is valued here. He's getting minutes. He has a ways to go before he knows exactly what to do and do it well, and Ben will bring him along.
Henley will be a player. Neither of the Hollins knocked it out of the park as freshman. Very few guys do. Main jump to D-1 is defense. Nobody pushes young studs to play D in high school. It's a big adjustment, often very discouraging. My take is that Henley will be ok.

I thought player rankings dont really matter, we need guys that fit the system…or is that only when they’re not ranked highly? 😂
You are right....individual recruit rankings don't mean a ton. But when a guy is being ranked near the top 10 and being considered for McDonald's All-American that is a damn good sign and something to legitimately be excited about.

The recruiting sites tend to be pretty good when it comes to the elite players in the classes. It is once you get beyond the best of the best that it starts to become way more of a tossup.

Guys near the very top of their class don't end up at Minnesota very often so it is ok to be excited about the prospects of legit landing one of the best players in the entire class who could come in and make a real difference.

I see Evans and Christie didn’t make the cut for the McDonald’s All-American game, rosters announced today

Evans told us why he came. He said that coming to Minnesota and the cold weather would eliminate distractions to working on his game because there's nothing to do in the winter.
Clearly he doesn't know about ice fishing, cross country skiing, snowmobiling and a myriad of other things to do in the snow (cursive urination contests as well as distance competitions for example).

Evans doesn't yet know how fun it is to live in a 4 season climate, but he will, and he is going to love it.
N0b0di rites as g00d as 1 d0 when 1m drunk!!!!!!

Evans missing the cut is being called the biggest snub. So that's good news.

Here is the official 247sports snub list article, no Evans
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...yden-Blocker-Robert-Dillingham-203576605/Amp/

Side note: they also use ESPN recruit rankings for this, not 247sports rankings and ESPN has Evans as #95 in their top 100

ESPN class of 2023 Top 100 basketball recruits -

Recent Gopher’s in the ESPN Top 100:

-Daniel Oturu #57 class of 2018
-Isaiah Washington #68 class of 2017
- Amir Coffey #33 class of 2016
-Rodney Williams #42 class of 2009
-Andre hollins #79 Joe Coleman #95 class of 2011
-Blake Hoffarber #73 class of 2007 *as far back as ESPN goes

I’d say all of these guys, who were much more highly rated on ESPN were not program changers. To be a true program changer / savior as some expect (MNjay), you have to be a top 10 recruit on ESPN (historically). The guys the Gophers have recruited in the past, who were rated higher than both Evans and Christie, couldn’t lead the team and proved you need a boatload of talent to win in the uber competitive B10. Unless Evans is Greg Oden (and he isn’t) and Christie is Daequan Cook…and CBJ finds a Mike Conley in the portal.

Last edited:

Dueling articles from different authors -- except you call your article the "official one." LOL

This article linked to North Carolina Tar Heals cites Dennis Evans as the biggest snub.

1674654465309.png

Travis Graf • Basketball Recruiting
National Basketball Recruiting Analyst

On Tuesday afternoon, the McDonald’s All-American Game rosters were announced, and while it was a day of celebration for the 24 players selected there were talented players ultimately left off of the coveted list.

Let’s take a look at the top five “snubs” for this year’s McDonald’s All-American Game.

Dennis Evans is one of the more interesting players in the 2023 class. He’s a promising prospect that not only stands at 7-foot-1 but he’s also developed at a very fast rate over the last couple of years. Evans isn’t a household name among 2023 prospects, and a lot of that is due to him playing for an independent AAU team and playing for a small high school in California. However, he’s produced on big stages and is the best shot blocker in the senior class and he's also developing his offensive game. The Minnesota signee should have Gopher fans very excited for next season as he’s their highest-ranked commitment in over a decade.

How is this not a snub?
1674654883837.png

And here is the alternative view of Evans from 247Sports that I think you are calling the "official" one that's not THE official one:

1674655017997.png

Attachments

• 1674654636632.png
    1674654636632.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1674654805801.png
    1674654805801.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 1

Dueling articles from different authors -- except you call your article the "official one." LOL

This article linked to North Carolina Tar Heals cites Dennis Evans as the biggest snub.

View attachment 23367

On Tuesday afternoon, the McDonald’s All-American Game rosters were announced, and while it was a day of celebration for the 24 players selected there were talented players ultimately left off of the coveted list.

Let’s take a look at the top five “snubs” for this year’s McDonald’s All-American Game.

Dennis Evans is one of the more interesting players in the 2023 class. He’s a promising prospect that not only stands at 7-foot-1 but he’s also developed at a very fast rate over the last couple of years. Evans isn’t a household name among 2023 prospects, and a lot of that is due to him playing for an independent AAU team and playing for a small high school in California. However, he’s produced on big stages and is the best shot blocker in the senior class and he's also developing his offensive game. The Minnesota signee should have Gopher fans very excited for next season as he’s their highest-ranked commitment in over a decade.

How is this not a snub?
View attachment 23370

And here is the alternative view of Evans from 247Sports that I think you are calling the "official" one that's not THE official one:

View attachment 23371
I’d put more stock into 247 nationally than tarheeltimes but agreed neither is official.

Evans was a borderline all-American. That’s really good. Hopefully he can make an immediate impact next year.

View attachment 23367

How is this not a snub?
View attachment 23370

View attachment 23371
“Official” meaning it’s the official 247sports snub article - as in their snub list article

Hopefully he will use the snub as motivation. He sounds pretty focussed and grounded, but a little extra fuel can't hurt!

I see Evans and Christie didn’t make the cut for the McDonald’s All-American game, rosters announced today
I’m surprised that Evans didn’t make it. Christie not so much. He’s not ranked nearly high enough to be considered.

Every player that made the McDonald’s AA team is ranked in the top 30 by ESPN. Dennis Evans is ranked # 95 by ESPN. Not at all surprising that Evans did not make it, even if ESPN is way off in not appreciating the rapid improvement by Evans over the last year.

Of all the players this year in an averaged top 50, there is more disagreement about Evans than any other player. He is ranked Evans # 11 by Rivals, # 18 by 247, # 88 by On3, and # 95 by ESPN. Let’s hope Rivals/247 are right.

Every player that made the McDonald’s AA team is ranked in the top 30 by ESPN. Dennis Evans is ranked # 95 by ESPN. Not at all surprising that Evans did not make it, even if ESPN is way off in not appreciating the rapid improvement by Evans over the last year.

Of all the players this year in an averaged top 50, there is more disagreement about Evans than any other player. He is ranked Evans # 11 by Rivals, # 18 by 247, # 88 by On3, and # 95 by ESPN. Let’s hope Rivals/247 are right.
Just guessing but might come down to how the sites rank their top guys in terms of how ready they are to dominate at the next level.

Evans seems like a guy with an extremely high upside that might need a little time to reach his full potential.

The important part is that the consensus seems to be he is one of the top recruits in the class, even if the sites can't agree on where exactly to rank him.

247Sports.

Dennis Evans the biggest surprise left off McDonald's All American roster. Raves about how the talent Dennis Evans:

"The name that really jumps out to me is Dennis Evans... I really do see a guy who's eventually going to end up in the NBA. A guy I would have really liked to see in the McDonald's All-American game because of his rim protection, because of his emerging skill abilities to step out and hit shots, at 7' 1", and I just think it would be fun to have a guy in there who kind of bucks the system. He didn't play for big shoe company team. He didn't go to all these camps and stuff like that."

Top Bottom