Dennis Evans moves to number 11 Nationally on Rivals

He could have helped making Illinois look a bit less comfortable last night.

Edit - Mistyped..

Last edited:

Isn’t his HS competition super weak? When he played on the USA team
He barely saw the floor
Why don’t you tell us Mr. Negative.
First you were complaining about Asuma’s box scores and now this.

I don’t believe you’re really a Gopher Fan as you complain seemingly about any good news.
He’s the 11th ranked player in his class, 5 star recruit and you’re looking to slam him any which way.
I personally don’t traffic with negative people, si to the ignore list you go Mr. St. Thomas (couldn’t get into Mac, huh?)

Last edited:

Why don’t you tell us Mr. Negative.
First you were complaining about Asuma’s box scores and now this.

I don’t believe you’re really a Gopher Fan as you complain seemingly about any good news.
He’s the 11th ranked player in his class, 5 star recruit and you’re looking to slam him any which way.
I personally don’t traffic with negative people, si to the ignore list you go Mr. At. Thomas (couldn’t get into Mac, huh?)
Anyone who says his offensive game is not raw (besides dunking against much smaller opponents) is kidding themselves.

He has great defensive instincts. I will give him that. But Henley came from the same team. And many thought he was really good coming in. Do I think Evans will be good? Absolutely. Do I think that the top recruits in the country should be polished offensively. Absolutely.

And for Asuma: his box scores don’t lie. The rosters of some of these opposing teams are a joke. It is a concern that he is not putting up better numbers. Some of these games he shoots below 40%. Maybe he is making great plays and finding open shooters and they just clank them (but that happens at ever high school - so worst case give him another 2 to 3 assists a game). As a 3 star PG prospect in Northern MN, he is a superior athlete and he should be able to get where he wants/ when he wants. Thus, score when he wants/where he wants. But he isn’t (against poor competition).

Hearing about the wrist injury is positive. This could dramatically be hurting his numbers. Shooting hand or weak hand?

Last edited:

Anyone who says his offensive game is not raw (besides dunking against much smaller opponents) is kidding themselves.

He has great defensive instincts. I will give him that. But Henley came from the same team. And many thought he was really good coming in. Do I think Evans will be good? Absolutely. Do I think that the top recruits in the country should be polished offensively. Absolutely.

And for Asuma: his box scores don’t lie. The rosters of some of these opposing teams are a joke. It is a concern that he is not putting up better numbers. Some of these games he shoots below 40%. It’s not like he’s making great plays and kicking it to teammates for wide-open shots and they are clanking it, he has a low % against weak teams. It’s in the box scores.
They play a different system than Lakeview did. How do you know he’s not making open shots for his teammates? Asuma does have a hand/wrist injury currently too.

They play a different system than Lakeview did. How do you know he’s not making open shots for his teammates? Asuma does have a hand/wrist injury currently too.
If he is able to set good screens and dunk the ball (put backs, rebounds, ally oops) he will be a good offensive player. If he is able to do more, he'll be special on offense.

I'm in no way saying he isn't skilled, but people forget that being great on offense doesn't always require great skill. Shaq was GREAT on offense. Even guys like Jarret Allen and Rudy Gobert are good on offense. They don't need an offense to run through them, they make you stay honest on PNR, and they finish when they get the chance.

I don't know how skilled he is yet (really don't know), but if he can do those little things he can be a big + on offense.

If he is able to set good screens and dunk the ball (put backs, rebounds, ally oops) he will be a good offensive player. If he is able to do more, he'll be special on offense.

I'm in no way saying he isn't skilled, but people forget that being great on offense doesn't always require great skill. Shaq was GREAT on offense. Even guys like Jarret Allen and Rudy Gobert are good on offense. They don't need an offense to run through them, they make you stay honest on PNR, and they finish when they get the chance.

I don't know how skilled he is yet (really don't know), but if he can do those little things he can be a big + on offense.
Agreed, he won’t be asked to do much offensively and can still be impactful if he does those two things at a high level.

Rodney Williams could screen, rebound, putback and alley opp… how was he on offense?

Just now realize this is regarding Evans and not asuma. Agree with this to a degree. Don’t compare him to Shaq. Shaq is top 3 center of all-time.

In regards to Gobert, he is proving the limitations of having a C with no offensive game.

Jarrett Allen is the best example, but he is still miles ahead with footwork and skill set, even if you look back to his college highlights (offensive)

And for Asuma: his box scores don’t lie. The rosters of some of these opposing teams are a joke. It is a concern that he is not putting up better numbers. Some of these games he shoots below 40%. Maybe he is making great plays and finding open shooters and they just clank them (but that happens at ever high school - so worst case give him another 2 to 3 assists a game). As a 3 star PG prospect in Northern MN, he is a superior athlete and he should be able to get where he wants/ when he wants. Thus, score when he wants/where he wants. But he isn’t (against poor competition).

Hearing about the wrist injury is positive. This could dramatically be hurting his numbers. Shooting hand or weak hand?
Henley played for Colony and Dennis plays for Hillcrest

Rodney Williams could screen, rebound, putback and alley opp… how was he on offense?
It's obviously going to be a little different for wings but even with Rodney, he was a decent offensive player. He was in the top 15 in offensive win shares both his junior and senior seasons. He was about as efficient (point per shot) as Andre Hollins.

Rodney was a good player for us. He was frustrating because with a little more skill he could have been an NBA player.

It's obviously going to be a little different for wings but even with Rodney, he was a decent offensive player. He was in the top 15 in offensive win shares both his junior and senior seasons. He was about as efficient (point per shot) as Andre Hollins.

Rodney was a good player for us. He was frustrating because with a little more skill he could have been an NBA player.

Worse thing that happened for Rodney in fans eyes was all the early nba draft love he got. Made many realize how far he did come and valuable he was. Knowing Rodney in high school, he is a success story and we should be happy/proud of him.

Have the gophers had a more athletic player in the last 30 years?

I’m all for pumping the breaks on recruits, but man, a reputable recruiting service has him as the 11th best player in the nation, while also factoring in whatever offensive limitations exist. There’s no proverbial wet blanket here. He could very well change the way teams scheme for us from day 1 because he’ll protect the rim when our slow guards get beat off the dribble or back door. Will he? We’ll see, but this is exciting even if he’s overrated by 25-45 spots.

I’m all for pumping the breaks on recruits, but man, a reputable recruiting service has him as the 11th best player in the nation, while also factoring in whatever offensive limitations exist. There’s no proverbial wet blanket here. He could very well change the way teams scheme for us from day 1 because he’ll protect the rim when our slow guards get beat off the dribble or back door. Will he? We’ll see, but this is exciting even if he’s overrated by 25-45 spots.
Likely game changer on defense. Really needs a nutritionist to beef him up with another 20lbs before need season.

How does Payne find minutes with him and Garcia? We now know Garcia is our best player, a sophomore (eligibility-wise), and needs to play center to cook offensively…

It has been known those two played together last year... Maybe it was the summer league or something, but henley and Evans are connected and are friends I'm not gunna.look but there are links on this forum proving that
The same AAU team?

Likely game changer on defense. Really needs a nutritionist to beef him up with another 20lbs before need season.

How does Payne find minutes with him and Garcia? We now know Garcia is our best player, a sophomore (eligibility-wise), and needs to play center to cook offensively…
Fox and Ihnen will be competing for time too. TT appears to be “encouraged” to leave. Hard to get a feel for where he is at with very limited minutes.
Greater front court depth next year should be a nice problem.

His offense game has picked up. There is recent video of him scoring a few ways, including from at the top of the key. Plus he dominates around the rim.

Blocking a shot. Look at that wingspan!
1674007180387.png

Those long arms and athleticism in action for a SLAM dunk. He's not barely dunking here.
1674007229069.png

Like this other dunk where he careens the ball through the net and then hangs.
1674007311872.png

Like he hangs on this other one after slamming the ball through.
1674007331003.png

And there's video this season of him scoring at the top of the key and other spots.

You like that!

Top Bottom