Demaris Peppers transferring to Jackson State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
In addition to the other transfers. Per Joe:

Two other Gophers tranfers to report: wide receiver Conner Krizancic to Ohio and defensive tackle Demaris Peppers to Jackson State. It's that time of year, and these are expected to be the last ones before spring semester starts next week.

Krizancic announced today on Twitter that he is transferring "to fulfill my dream of being a Division 1 quarterback at Ohio University."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/288608481.html

Go Gophers!!

When they would pull a redshirt on Moore to play a dozen plays, that may have been some foreshadowing that Peppers wasn't a fit.

since i am not part of the practices it is always fun to speculate as to what a kid does to not get playing time?

I was always wondering why the McAvoy twins never saw much PT. but again without being inside the program you really don't know. they may just not have "it"

Maybe this is a good sign. In years past, due to the lack of talent these three star players may have seen the field. With the upgrade in talent in recent years, some of these three star guys just did not have the skills, talent, etc. to make a contribution to see the field. Whatever, best of luck to them with their new choices.

Good luck to Peppers. I was excited when he signed, but there had been rumors of him transferring out since Fall practice. I wasn't ready to write him off for not seeing the field yet since he was still only a r-Fr, but he did have three true Freshmen and a walk-on pass him on the depth chart. The writing was on the wall.

since i am not part of the practices it is always fun to speculate as to what a kid does to not get playing time?

I was always wondering why the McAvoy twins never saw much PT. but again without being inside the program you really don't know. they may just not have "it"

I have to give credit to the McAvoy twins for stocking it out and getting a good education paid for. They are valuable members of the practice squad even though they hardly ever see the playing field. My hats off to them.

In addition to the other transfers. Per Joe:

Two other Gophers tranfers to report: wide receiver Conner Krizancic to Ohio and defensive tackle Demaris Peppers to Jackson State. It's that time of year, and these are expected to be the last ones before spring semester starts next week.

Krizancic announced today on Twitter that he is transferring "to fulfill my dream of being a Division 1 quarterback at Ohio University."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/288608481.html

Go Gophers!!

So if Krizancic is transfering and starts at QB for Ohio Bobcats next year we will play against him Sep 26th for our homecoming game.

Another hit for depth on the D line. Jerry better pull couple of rabbits out of the hat in the next three weeks. The we are young and don't have depth excuse has reached it's expiration date.

Another hit for depth on the D line. Jerry better pull couple of rabbits out of the hat in the next three weeks. The we are young and don't have depth excuse has reached it's expiration date.

Agreed. If we have to play our 4th stringers, we're going to really miss this guy!

DT-Ekpe
DT-Richardson

DT-Ndondo-Lay
DT-Stelter

DT-Timms
DT-Moore

Coach Claeys rotates defensive linemen. He has mixed and matched to at least the third string. He pulls starters in a blow out, and plays them longer when needed. It keeps them fresh, and helps them with the total number of snaps. There is a point where no matter your strength, size or technique will fail. 50 snaps a game, 12 games do the math.

Agreed. If we have to play our 4th stringers, we're going to really miss this guy!

DT-Ekpe
DT-Richardson

DT-Ndondo-Lay
DT-Stelter

DT-Timms
DT-Moore

With how badly our backup DT's got blown off the ball at times this year I don't know how anyone can shrug off losing depth at that position. Yeah he barely sniffed the field this year, but isn't that point? Getting jumped by Richardson I get, but Moore and Stelter probably weren't ready to play this year but had to. This staff has had some big misses along the D-Line in the Timms/Hinojosa/Peppers/Sawzedel group and it's showing by having to play a 260 pound walk-on at DT.

With how badly our backup DT's got blown off the ball at times this year I don't know how anyone can shrug off losing depth at that position. Yeah he barely sniffed the field this year, but isn't that point? Getting jumped by Richardson I get, but Moore and Stelter probably weren't ready to play this year but had to. This staff has had some big misses along the D-Line in the Timms/Hinojosa/Peppers/Sawzedel group and it's showing by having to play a 260 pound walk-on at DT.
Thank you. My point exactly.

Agreed about the misses but the point is Peppers wasn't playing anyway despite our depth issues this year and apparently was a behavior problem so losing him isn't really a blow to depth.

I get it. If you look at that year's DL class by itself, it looks concerning. Big picture though, not so much.

DT's are the hardest position to recruit due to the lack of quality players. It's like a 7'0" true center in basketball. There are more teams looking for them, than there are good players available. Since we're not getting the 4*-5* guys, we have to roll the dice on a few guys and hope they can become quality players.

You list four guys, but Timms isn't a miss at this point. We've heard some good things about him, he's had some injuries and he was only a r-So this year. No reason to think he won't contribute as an upperclassman. Sawzedel is a DE. If you want to look at DE's, you'll find the staff has done well overall. Yes, we lost Sawzedel, but we replaced him with Elmore who was converted from TE. Net positive imo. That leaves Hinojosa/Peppers. Oh well. It's a glass half full/half empty scenario. Does it suck that we had 2 DT's in the class not work out, or is it awesome that last years DT's were that much better than them?

Any way you look at it, the future of our DL seems bright. Hank Ekpe, Gaelin Elmore, Steve Richardson, Stelter, Moore, Timms, Kafo....I'm more optimistic about the future of our DL than I can ever recall being.

Top Bottom