Delaney: We're Not the NFL's Minor League

Iceland12

Reaction score
Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday that Division I football and basketball might be better served by following Major League Baseball's model, in that players are allowed to sign professionally right out of high school.

"Maybe in football and basketball, it would work better if more kids had a chance to go directly into the professional ranks," Delany said. "If they're not comfortable and want to monetize, let the minor leagues flourish. Train at IMG, get agents to invest in your body, get agents to invest in your likeness and establish it on your own. But don't come here and say, 'We want to be paid $25,000 or $50,000.' Go to the D-League and get it, go to the NBA and get it, go to the NFL and get it. Don't ask us what we've been doing.

"If an athlete wants to professionalize themselves, professionalize themselves. We've been training kids for professional sports. I argue it's the color, I argue it's the institution. If you think it's about you, then talk to John Havlicek about that, you've got to talk to Michael Jordan about that. These brands have been built over 100 years."

Delany said a restructuring plan in college sports must be in place by next spring to create better balance educationally and more options, including increasing the value of athletic scholarships. He said the major conferences need the "legislative autonomy" to push through some major changes.

If the major conferences don't reach a consensus, they should be criticized, Delany said

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...iscusses-possible-football-basketball-changes

Um, D1 football has indeed become a professional minotr league. Its all about money now.

Jim, the first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. The fact that you're making millions of dollars off of these kids should tell you you have a problem.

I don't disagree with Delaney. I'm surprised, though, that he would advocate something that would/could have adverse consequences for the industry of college football. It seems like that would prove he's earnest about it.

He's looking at this long-term

I don't disagree with Delaney. I'm surprised, though, that he would advocate something that would/could have adverse consequences for the industry of college football. It seems like that would prove he's earnest about it.

If you look at it from the B1G's point of view, the team in the conference do actually try to graduate players and have guys go to school. This sort of rule would potentially have more impact on the SEC. But that's just a guess.

If you're not going to college to become a professional, what are you doing there? Every Big Ten coach is selling their ability to train athletes for a shot at the next level.

also, newsflash Delany, the universities are paying players $25-50K every year. In the case of Northwestern it's more like $65K. This isn't D3.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday that Division I football and basketball might be better served by following Major League Baseball's model, in that players are allowed to sign professionally right out of high school.

"Maybe in football and basketball, it would work better if more kids had a chance to go directly into the professional ranks," Delany said. "If they're not comfortable and want to monetize, let the minor leagues flourish. Train at IMG, get agents to invest in your body, get agents to invest in your likeness and establish it on your own. But don't come here and say, 'We want to be paid $25,000 or $50,000.' Go to the D-League and get it, go to the NBA and get it, go to the NFL and get it. Don't ask us what we've been doing.

"If an athlete wants to professionalize themselves, professionalize themselves. We've been training kids for professional sports. I argue it's the color, I argue it's the institution. If you think it's about you, then talk to John Havlicek about that, you've got to talk to Michael Jordan about that. These brands have been built over 100 years."

Delany said a restructuring plan in college sports must be in place by next spring to create better balance educationally and more options, including increasing the value of athletic scholarships. He said the major conferences need the "legislative autonomy" to push through some major changes.

If the major conferences don't reach a consensus, they should be criticized, Delany said

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...iscusses-possible-football-basketball-changes

Who are you trying to convince Jim, the public or yourself?

Hey Jim, it still isn't legal to not pay people for use of their likeness even if there is another league for people the same age to play in.

This is shameless. I love how he tries to take the moral high ground and the implied righteousness of NCAA amateurism.

Would you still watch the Big Ten and Gopher football if there was a minor league for the NFL that took all the top flight players from the sport? I would, it's not about the players it's about the institution for me, I am tied to the U for educating me and giving me opportunities. If the players took a step down due to a minor league it wouldn't deter my fandom one bit.

Would you still watch the Big Ten and Gopher football if there was a minor league for the NFL that took all the top flight players from the sport? I would, it's not about the players it's about the institution for me, I am tied to the U for educating me and giving me opportunities. If the players took a step down due to a minor league it wouldn't deter my fandom one bit.

Yep, ironically it might "level the playing field" a little too.

100% agree. It's all relative. I can get jacked up watching any level, any skill. When there is a "tie in" as you mention, it's butter.

One more thing Jim, what should we do about your moral authority and Penn St.? Weren't you actively working to lighten or reduce the Penn St. sanctions Jim? Do you honestly believe that your argument against sanctions stands up? Jim, you understand that the punishment is against the institution and that anyone caught up in that punishment like the current coaches and players are collateral damage due to the universities failings and not the NCAA, right?

If a little boy's father went to prison for raping someone Jim, would you advocate that we reduce the father's sentence after a year? After all, the little boy didn't do anything. Now, he's stuck without a parent to provide for him, and he'll probably be emotionally scarred, and maybe damaged the rest of his life. It's sad, but does that mean we shouldn't punish the father Jim?

If you're not going to college to become a professional, what are you doing there? Every Big Ten coach is selling their ability to train athletes for a shot at the next level.
How many players on the Gopher team right now are there to become a NFL player? Most are not, and I would bet the overwhelming majority of players are completely fine with the arrangement they are getting with the University.

How many players on the Gopher team right now are there to become a NFL player? Most are not, and I would bet the overwhelming majority of players are completely fine with the arrangement they are getting with the University.

And none of the NCAA schools are getting a damn dime from the NFL/NBA to provide them with a headline/publicity generating "minor" league either.

Just a thought.

+1

I would be in favor of Delaney's proposal.

I would absolutely be in favor of this. It would help to restore amateurism in collegiate sports, give players an opportunity to monetize their skills, and help to avoid changes being forced upon the NCAA. The big question: how do you pull it off?

Jim hit it right on the head! Kids are getting 25,000 already every year! So out of a 90 player roster there is maybe 5-10 that will play in the NFL they better be going to school.

I keep hearing lets pay the players why??? they are college students!

So then you have to pay the wrestling team, volleyball yes so we can increase student fees great idea.

also, newsflash Delany, the universities are paying players $25-50K every year. In the case of Northwestern it's more like $65K. This isn't D3.[/

Arghhhh!

+2 Me too. It wouldn't deter fandom. Just because a Broten isn't playing for the Rams, doesn't we don't show up to the games.

How much can you water down the product before people stop watching in big numbers?

How much can you water down the product before people stop watching in big numbers?

Even if there was a minor league, there would still be many elite players that would choose the university route. I'd wager the non-top 150s etc, would more heavily favor university squads. And probably only the elite programs would suffer quality-wise (comparatively). The rest of the FBS would be less so. It would all depend on the 4 and 5 star kids weighing the benefits between possible minor league contracts and getting a scholarship from a famed football school. The 3 stars down to walk-ons would have to battle with each other and minor league veterans for contracts - thus scholarships might look much more attractive.

Just my speculation.

Plus, how much do you think a new minor league system would pay their players?
Arena League: $28k to $165k (avg $85k - but most earn between $40k and $50k)
CFL: $30k to $500k (avg $80k - but those are starters)

Top Bottom