Defense Down Low

ForecastingAWin

Reaction score
Hugley from Pittsburgh had a monster game tonight. Coming into the game, he averaged 14.3 ppg. Had a few good games and a few poor ones, but he dominated our D for much of the game.

It was interesting to see the 2-3 zone used by Minnesota on occasion to try to slow him down, with mixed results.

I'm scared for B10 play. Hugley is a solid player, but I think the bigs in our league will be similar or better on almost a nightly basis. It seems Curry and Daniels cannot match up 1v1 against solid big men in my opinion.

All this said, should we become a 2-3/3-2 zone team for a significant amount of time come B10 play? I hate to see us get eaten alive inside. If we rely on the "double the post" every play method, I worry that other teams will have better shooters than Pitt (that's basically a given) and beat us that way. Not sure what the answer is, just curious what everyone's opinions are!

Hugley from Pittsburgh had a monster game tonight. Coming into the game, he averaged 14.3 ppg. Had a few good games and a few poor ones, but he dominated our D for much of the game.

It was interesting to see the 2-3 zone used by Minnesota on occasion to try to slow him down, with mixed results.

I'm scared for B10 play. Hugley is a solid player, but I think the bigs in our league will be similar or better on almost a nightly basis. It seems Curry and Daniels cannot match up 1v1 against solid big men in my opinion.

All this said, should we become a 2-3/3-2 zone team for a significant amount of time come B10 play? I hate to see us get eaten alive inside. If we rely on the "double the post" every play method, I worry that other teams will have better shooters than Pitt (that's basically a given) and beat us that way. Not sure what the answer is, just curious what everyone's opinions are!
Yeah, we're going to give up a lot of points. I'm really pumped that Ben didn't give into doubling automatically on him. We kept them under 60 and kept their guards in check.

Top Bottom