Defense Celebration

PMWinSTP

Reaction score
Anyone notice on some of the big defensive plays that some of the players seem to be doing the old pro wrestling tag team Bushwackers arm swing?

Yep, noticed that watching the DVR last night. Pretty funny.

Anyone notice on some of the big defensive plays that some of the players seem to be doing the old pro wrestling tag team Bushwackers arm swing?
I noticed they were playing videos of the Bushwackers on the video board at the stadium as well.latest-3520652335.jpg

Andy Gerder wrote about this two weeks ago and I think I heard them talking about it on the 93x morning show too.

Gophers’ Bushwhacker celebration loved by defense, hated by offense, now embraced by all​

During the tedium of preseason camp, one of Gophers linebacker Mariano Sori-Marin’s pre-snap checks was peculiar and reminded defensive coordinator/linebacker coach Joe Rossi of pro wrestling.
Sori-Marin’s arm movements had Rossi thinking of the 1990s World Wrestling Federation tag team known as the Bushwhackers; part of their act was alternating swinging arms up and down in front of their bodies. But when the 43-year-old coach mentioned the old-school reference to his linebackers, no one knew what the heck he was referring to — not even current pro wrestling fans such as Josh Aune and Derik LeCaptain.
“I showed my age,” Rossi recalled Wednesday. But to relate to players less than half his age, Rossi pulled up grainy footage on YouTube during that position group meeting.
Sori-Marin was enthralled, and the Gophers captain immediately thought: “That is perfect for us.”

The linebackers became the “Bush-backers,” and started using the move the very next practice.
The Gophers secondary and defensive linemen soon learned what they were up to during a defensive meeting.
For Tyler Nubin, it was love at first sight “because we love to have fun out there,” the safety said.
“Goofy,” added defensive end Thomas Rush.

Offensive leaders Chris Autman-Bell and Tanner Morgan, however, were not fans of theBushwhacker when they first saw it in August.

“It’s nice to see it now,” Morgan said after the 62-10 win over Western Illinois on Saturday. “In fall camp, that was —.”

Autman-Bell interjected: “I hate the defense during fall camp. But to watch those guys fly around in games, it’s fun to see. I’m a huge fan of those guys.”

During one preseason practice, the linebackers started doing the Bushwhacker during the Ski-U-Mah drill — a three-level rushing, blocking and tackling drill during which the whole team encircles the participants. Regardless of the new celebration or not, the drill often gets pretty rowdy.

“By the end of the drill everybody on the defense was doing it,” Sori-Marin said. “We were getting defensive stops, and it was cool. We were watching it on film the next day and laughing about it.”

Story continues here:

Last edited:

Andy Gerder wrote about this two weeks ago and I think I heard them talking about it on the 93x morning show too.

Gophers’ Bushwhacker celebration loved by defense, hated by offense, now embraced by all​

During the tedium of preseason camp, one of Gophers linebacker Mariano Sori-Marin’s pre-snap checks was peculiar and reminded defensive coordinator/linebacker coach Joe Rossi of pro wrestling.
Sori-Marin’s arm movements had Rossi thinking of the 1990s World Wrestling Federation tag team known as the Bushwhackers; part of their act was alternating swinging arms up and down in front of their bodies. But when the 43-year-old coach mentioned the old-school reference to his linebackers, no one knew what the heck he was referring to — not even current pro wrestling fans such as Josh Aune and Derik LeCaptain.
“I showed my age,” Rossi recalled Wednesday. But to relate to players less than half his age, Rossi pulled up grainy footage on YouTube during that position group meeting.
Sori-Marin was enthralled, and the Gophers captain immediately thought: “That is perfect for us.”

The linebackers became the “Bush-backers,” and started using the move the very next practice.
The Gophers secondary and defensive linemen soon learned what they were up to during a defensive meeting.
For Tyler Nubin, it was love at first sight “because we love to have fun out there,” the safety said.

Offensive leaders Chris Autman-Bell and Tanner Morgan, however, were not fans of theBushwhacker when they first saw it in August.

“It’s nice to see it now,” Morgan said after the 62-10 win over Western Illinois on Saturday. “In fall camp, that was —.”

Autman-Bell interjected: “I hate the defense during fall camp. But to watch those guys fly around in games, it’s fun to see. I’m a huge fan of those guys.”

During one preseason practice, the linebackers started doing the Bushwhacker during the Ski-U-Mah drill — a three-level rushing, blocking and tackling drill during which the whole team encircles the participants. Regardless of the new celebration or not, the drill often gets pretty rowdy.

“By the end of the drill everybody on the defense was doing it,” Sori-Marin said. “We were getting defensive stops, and it was cool. We were watching it on film the next day and laughing about it.”

Story continues here:

Thanks for posting.

I originally thought it was the Connor McGregor strut (not a WWF fan). It wasn't. Bushwacker all the way.

Story continues here:

Super cool!!

If Minnesota is the Bushwhackers, wisconsin is the pudwackers.
Ok, I'll grow up now.

Love it! And love the videos on the board too, shows connection to the team, helps connect to the fans. The pipewrench bit was an internal thing which has its place too, but something like this that can get the fans involved is awesome. Can't wait to see the whole student section doing the bushwacker to cheer on the D!

Love it! And love the videos on the board too, shows connection to the team, helps connect to the fans. The pipewrench bit was an internal thing which has its place too, but something like this that can get the fans involved is awesome. Can't wait to see the whole student section doing the bushwacker to cheer on the D!
If they are both still alive I wonder if anyone internally at the U has reached out to see about cutting some sort of promo for the video board? That would be pretty sweet.

If they are both still alive I wonder if anyone internally at the U has reached out to see about cutting some sort of promo for the video board? That would be pretty sweet.
According to Wikipedia they are alive. In their mid-70s!!!

What would be awesome is Tanner doing it after a touchdown. Talk about a connected total team.

Of course don't want to steal the D's thunder, but would be cool in some aspects.

Got it. I’m more older school. Just perform. Let actions speak.

Got it. I’m more older school. Just perform. Let actions speak.
There is nothing wrong with having fun out there and celebrating good plays. I get annoyed by the over the top celebrations or guys celebrating when they shouldn't be but that isn't what this is.

You can catch a quick glimpse of MSM doing the Bushwhacker at the end of the Wally INT.

Top Bottom