Defending Oversigning

Oversigning one or two players is not a big deal for the program itself given players not qualifying, changing their minds, ect.; though I could understand a player or two being upset if the scholarship did not come through.

"It's a ticklish situation"

Wow, not okay to do to kids. I know it's a business to the coaches, but not the kids, most of them anyway.

It think it is the difference between academic focus and football focus. The part that got me was that they offer kids they know have no shot academically. Basically for marketing purposes and for a future JC committment if needed.

You'd think 27, 28 would be enough. 31, 37? Oh come on, you're just being ridiculous then.

We should almost thank Houston Nutt for signing 37. If not for that oversigning may have never become the hot topic that it has. That was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

I agree with Monte on this. 27 or 28 seems to be a reasonable number. That way you can still take a chance on a kid or two that has marginal grades. 37 is a joke. Not fair to the kids that think they have a schoolie and are then told that don't.

We should almost thank Houston Nutt for signing 37. If not for that oversigning may have never become the hot topic that it has. That was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

More like a ton of bricks!

The fact that Spurrier, who has made a national name and millions of dollars, can defend oversigning to the point two kids can not enter school, just shows how ethically bankrupt the SEC really is.
I don't understand why the NCAA allows each conference to set their own rules as to oversigning and academic admission, other than several conferences just insist on having an advantage. Fine just don't agree that they are eligible for the national championship. The luster goes away if the BigTen and the Pac Ten refuse to accept the SEC bs.
Why agree to these rules if they basically screw your conference?
It is just as dumb as the BigTen agreeing to baseball seasons that give west coast and southern teams insurmountable advantages. It is just stupid if the goal is to win on a fair playing field.

If the situations were clearly explained to the recruits it might not be so bad, but I doubt the kids are told much.

This could be fixed by demanding schools provide a sgned loi form which the recruit signs and sends back. The fax is time stamped and first come, first served. Seems easy enough to me.

This whole argument strikes me as a bit overblown. I don't really like the idea of oversigning, but it's not like these kids have no idea what's going on. I'm sure they're well aware of the reputation some of these coaches have, and they still choose to commit to the schools. It's too bad that kids are getting scholarship offers recinded, but if they didn't know there was a chance of that happening, they should be blaming themselves, their high school coaches, and whoever else might be advising them on the recruitment process just as much as they blame the schools and coaches who've done it a hundred times before.

They are 18 year old kids being lied to by adults representing schools they dream about attending.
This is not some theoretical free market debate. If a kid is offered a gray shirt ahead of time, no problem, but if he is recruited and told after signing he has to gray shirt, when he had the opportunity to elsewhere, that is bs. If he signs with a school and they don't have a scholarship for him, he should sue their ass off, and his high school coach should not let that program recruit there anymore.
Just like the FL high school coach did to Purdue for dropping his player at the last minute for having the wrong kind of knee surgery.

Hard to take the high road...

I know many people on this board get upset when an 18 year old verbals to a school like Minnesota and then reneges and signs with another. It's the game they're taught by the very people (the coaches) that are complaining about it. It is hard to take the high road with this, when schools are doing the same thing by over signing and telling a kid that he no longer has the scholarship that was promised if they committed.

Nutt even had the mother of one potential recruit forge his signature and send in a fraudulent LOI. The SEC is DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTY.

If the situations were clearly explained to the recruits it might not be so bad, but I doubt the kids are told much.

I read an article about a week ago where several SEC recruits were asked about oversigning. I think that only one of Saban's recruits said that he had been told that the rug could be pulled at the last minute. I'm pissed at Spurrier even though I have earned 2 degrees from there, but Nutt takes the cake. Too bad if he might end up a corner short. The lesson that he is teaching is "do it to them before they do it to you." What a pr!ck!

Spurrier said oversigning is "helpful" because so many of the players in the state come from underprivileged backgrounds and may not qualify academically. He said the Big Ten, which has curbed oversigning for decades, is making a mistake by doing so.

"I think that really hurts them a lot," Spurrier said. "They end up giving scholarships to a lot of walk-ons."

Oh, I see. Give the 'stupids' a free ride, but the kids who bust their ass, pay their own way, and make the team (and heaven forbid become an All-Conference type player)? *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# em.

Stay classy, Spurrier.

Spurrier has always been a self-absorbed jerk. Unfortunately, he is a smart and successful one, but a jerk never the less.

Oh, I see. Give the 'stupids' a free ride, but the kids who bust their ass, pay their own way, and make the team (and heaven forbid become an All-Conference type player)? *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# em.

Stay classy, Spurrier.

I always think its a great story when a kid goes from walk-on to become a great player or even a solid contributor. Does this not happen with much regularity in the SEC??

In a perfect world it wouldn't happen. If I remember right the B1G is 3 players over maximum, right? I can see where you might need to be a little over the limit because kids do change their mind or don't make it to school, but Nutt went past the point almost anyone would think is reasonable.

One way to maybe limit this would be to create a rule that any signed player can transfer from an oversigned team to an undersigned team up to "X" weeks after signing day. I bet the SEC schools would suddenly not see the need to oversign by 10 players.

As to walk-ons, I'd love it if a certain number of scholarships had to go to walk-ons. I love kids coming in and competing for the scholarship after proving they want to be there by paying their own way for a couple years. I know it will never happen...

...[B said:
One way to maybe limit this would be to create a rule that any signed player can transfer from an oversigned team to an undersigned team up to "X" weeks after signing day. I bet the SEC schools would suddenly not see the need to oversign by 10 players[/B].

Your idea would likely have the opposite effect...

What a neat way to prune a college football roster! Those SEC schools would begin to sign 40+ every year!:eek:

The convenient 'medial waiver' would no longer be used as the excuse to rid the roster of the guys who would 'never contribute.'

Top Bottom