Decommits under PJ Fleck - Where are they now?

Agyekum is visiting North Dakota on 1/30
Claude Larkins has three visits lined up with FIU, Ohio, and Indiana.

Always liked this kid ... James Johannesson ... Thought if he ever got in a game he could show what he could do. However, was buried too deep on the depth chart. Once I saw this thread I was curious what he did for North Dakota. Stats below: It didn't paste the way it was on the screen but the top line is 2019 and the next is 2018.

Career Stats
See All
STATS

ATTYDSAVGTDLNGRECYDSAVGTDLNGFUMLST

Always liked this kid ... James Johannesson ... Thought if he ever got in a game he could show what he could do. However, was buried too deep on the depth chart. Once I saw this thread I was curious what he did for North Dakota. Stats below: It didn't paste the way it was on the screen but the top line is 2019 and the next is 2018.

Career Stats
See All
STATS

ATTYDSAVGTDLNGRECYDSAVGTDLNGFUMLST
Thanks for posting the info. I was hoping he'd stay with the Gophers as a Line Backer.

Claude Larkins committed to NC State yesterday

Could do the same "where are they now" for transfers: Demry Croft, Melvin Holland, Rashad Still, Everett Williams, Jaylen Waters, Hunter Register, James Johannesson, etc.

...In particular, who are some of the guys who transferred right after Fleck was hired? Some people (okay,...me) always thought of them as "non-boat-rowers", or "we're-pissed-Coach Claeys-was-fired" guys.
The two guys who come to mind are Gaelin Elmore and Connor Mayes. I remember Elmore was pretty vocal during the whole boycott, etc., and Mayes just seemed to me like he wanted to be closer to home and all of the scandal/firing crap was just a good excuse/reason to bolt.
Who else am I missing?

...In particular, who are some of the guys who transferred right after Fleck was hired? Some people (okay,...me) always thought of them as "non-boat-rowers", or "we're-pissed-Coach Claeys-was-fired" guys.
The two guys who come to mind are Gaelin Elmore and Connor Mayes. I remember Elmore was pretty vocal during the whole boycott, etc., and Mayes just seemed to me like he wanted to be closer to home and all of the scandal/firing crap was just a good excuse/reason to bolt.
Who else am I missing?
Tyler Moore transferred soon after.

Could do the same "where are they now" for transfers: Demry Croft, Melvin Holland, Rashad Still, Everett Williams, Jaylen Waters, Hunter Register, James Johannesson, etc.

Yeah, you definitely could and people have. I always find it interesting - regardless of the coach. These are players that I have followed for years (in recruiting and some of them in their time with the Gophers). So yeah, it's interesting. People definitely have done this with every single coach we have ever had.

I don't think this is intended as a slight to PJ at all.

Yeah, you definitely could and people have. I always find it interesting - regardless of the coach. These are players that I have followed for years (in recruiting and some of them in their time with the Gophers). So yeah, it's interesting. People definitely have done this with every single coach we have ever had.

I don't think this is intended as a slight to PJ at all.

Where did he imply that doing this was a slight to Fleck? Was zero mention of Fleck in the post you quoted.

And I agree, it is interesting to see what happens with players after they leave. Find out if we lost a good one or in the case of Croft one who was arrested and charged with 6 felonies.

Where did he imply that doing this was a slight to Fleck? Was zero mention of Fleck in the post you quoted.

And I agree, it is interesting to see what happens with players after they leave. Find out if we lost a good one or in the case of Croft one who was arrested and charged with 6 felonies.

Honestly, I wasn't sure if he did. The tone of his message was a little difficult to read - responding to this thread with "we could do the where are they now about other transfers". So he might not have taken the thread as a shot at Fleck, but in reading the context of his post, it seemed within the realm of possibilities.

You see, you read context in my post as well. Where did I specifically say that he thought it was a slight to PJ. I didn't, but you read context. IMO, these conversations are better if we don't pretend to not pick up the context.

Rashad Still was a mystery. He looked the part and flashed occasionally. Not sure if he resurfaced after leaving the U.

Honestly, I wasn't sure if he did. The tone of his message was a little difficult to read - responding to this thread with "we could do the where are they now about other transfers". So he might not have taken the thread as a shot at Fleck, but in reading the context of his post, it seemed within the realm of possibilities.

You see, you read context in my post as well. Where did I specifically say that he thought it was a slight to PJ. I didn't, but you read context. IMO, these conversations are better if we don't pretend to not pick up the context.

You flat out said in your post: "I don't think this is intended as a slight to PJ at all."

The implication is that the person you were replying to thought discussing players that left was some sort of slight to Fleck even though Fleck was never mentioned in the post you were responding to.

Rashad Still was a mystery. He looked the part and flashed occasionally. Not sure if he resurfaced after leaving the U.

Sports reference doesn't have any college stats listed for him from anytime after he left the U. Would think he would have been good enough to hook on at some lower level school but maybe he decided to hang up the cleats.

Man good point surprised there isn't anything out there from him. Twitter sure doesn't look like he's active on a team.

You flat out said in your post: "I don't think this is intended as a slight to PJ at all."

The implication is that the person you were replying to thought discussing players that left was some sort of slight to Fleck even though Fleck was never mentioned in the post you were responding to.

It feels like you derived my intention from context. Hmmm.

Sports reference doesn't have any college stats listed for him from anytime after he left the U. Would think he would have been good enough to hook on at some lower level school but maybe he decided to hang up the cleats.
He transferred to Division II Davenport University in Grand Rapids, Mich. and would've been eligible to play his senior year for them in 2018 - but appears to not have played with them, for whatever reason. He played for the Atlantic City Blackjacks in the Arena Football League in 2019 and has signed to play with a professional team in Hungary for the 2020 season.

He transferred to Division II Davenport University in Grand Rapids, Mich. and would've been eligible to play his senior year for them in 2018 - but appears to not have played with them, for whatever reason. He played for the Atlantic City Blackjacks in the Arena Football League in 2019 and has signed to play with a professional team in Hungary for the 2020 season.

Wow, that is some impressive research there. My quick search didn't kick up any of that info.

Once in a while you see guys in the NBA go to europe and folks are all "awe too bad" and I get it but ... man what a great experience.

He looked the part, but as we know he was relatively raw...a project. The guy couldn't catch a football and I never bought into the hype of him being the next big thing.

Great thread. Unfortunately, recruiting is a human activity there for there are bound to be some errors. You hit on some and miss on some. Fun to see where some of these guys ended up.

Was Jason Bargy a big time DE recruit?

He looked the part, but as we know he was relatively raw...a project. The guy couldn't catch a football and I never bought into the hype of him being the next big thing.
People are often infatuated with big WRs (Still, Holland), QBs with huge arms (Alipate) and RBs with elite speed (Berkley Edwards). All of those traits are fine and can help, but aren’t really great predictors of success.

People are often infatuated with big WRs (Still, Holland), QBs with huge arms (Alipate) and RBs with elite speed (Berkley Edwards). All of those traits are fine and can help, but aren’t really great predictors of success.

Yeah there's a physical + mental talent that isn't .... just what you visually see that is so big.

Winfield is hardly a spectacular physical specimen relative to other players, but he just seems to know where to be. I'm not sure those things can be taught as much as just observed.

I did always wish we could get Edwards a dump off pass here or there but pretty hard to do that when he is hurt / he comes in and probably can't block.

What’s interesting to me is how high P.J. was on him his first spring ball then never got any balls thrown his way. P.J. kept saying things like “88 is going to get the ball, he is going to be a bell cow, that’s for sure.” I think part of it was a bad culture fit.

i wonder if he would have ended up better if P.J. and Simon were there when he first got there instead of not coming till his junior year.

Great thread. Unfortunately, recruiting is a human activity there for there are bound to be some errors. You hit on some and miss on some. Fun to see where some of these guys ended up.

Was Jason Bargy a big time DE recruit?
Yes, Bargy was a big time DE recruit. He would've been our 2nd-highest rated signee in 2019 (behind Tyler Nubin), but was charged with domestic battery in November 2018. If he would've kept himself out of trouble, he should've been redshirting this past season and likely would've been playing a big role on the field in 2020.

Yes, Bargy was a big time DE recruit. He would've been our 2nd-highest rated signee in 2019 (behind Tyler Nubin), but was charged with domestic battery in November 2018. If he would've kept himself out of trouble, he should've been redshirting this past season and likely would've been playing a big role on the field in 2020.

Yeah, he seemed like a pretty big time get when he gave his verbal commitment but clearly not a good dude. Thankfully his legal issues happened before he was an official member of the team.

I saw Texas LB Juwan Mitchell is in the transfer portal. He had 37 tackles and 3.5 tackles for loss last season and was a former commit

Top Bottom