Declining 4th quarter personal foul?

How is it sad that we want to take our points. It's not pessimistic to think that your defense can hold them to less than ten points with 5 minutes left. I'm so thankful that some of you are not our coach, because this is about the most basic decision that can be made in this situation. I can't even believe this thread is still going.

How is it sad that we want to take our points. It's not pessimistic to think that your defense can hold them to less than ten points with 5 minutes left. I'm so thankful that some of you are not our coach, because this is about the most basic decision that can be made in this situation. I can't even believe this thread is still going.

Likewise. I doubt there's a college coach that would have made a different call in those circumstances.

Do you really think there is a 50% chance that something is going to go wrong on a field goal? Your statistics are off. Taking the penalty would have given us a first down on about the 11, and allowed us to burn off 2+ minutes off the clock or forced Air Force to burn up their time outs.

Great we take points off the board and have 1st and ten on the 11. We can only get another first down inside the 1 and we now have a short field to run our offense on. Brewster made the right choice. We were up 10 and AF had to score twice and pass to do it.

The officials got the play right and explained it properly the second time. What bothered me was they would allow AF to have 12 players on the field in their no huddle and then have a guy leave the field late. Also on the last drive, there was a play where the clock kept running properly, then the AF coaches complained about something and the official wrongly stopped the clock and reset the play clock to 25 and didn't restart the game clock.

BTW, who provided the officiating? Was it a MWC crew? They were horrible. Many of AFA's blocks were below the knee (isn't clipping still ilegal?) and they blew at least 1 offensive pass interference that should have been called on AFA.

They were Big Ten officials and those are called cut blocks and they are legal unless the defender is already engaged with another blocker. Mason's offense was predicated on this type of blocking.

I know, I know, it's bad juju to take points off the board, and by all means, we must not violate superstition.

I know, I know, it's bad juju to take points off the board, and by all means, we must not violate superstition.

Thanks RJSF, I had a really bad smart-a$$ response and I pulled it back.

Last year, Grandpa Sports criticized Brewster for kicking the FG that put us up 16-7 on Indiana--"Well, Mr. Brewster, most of the time, Indiana would block that field goal and run it back for the winning touchdown."

How many times do you see that in a season?

NEVER TAKE POINTS OFF THE BOARD, especially anything that puts you up by more than 8 or cuts a deficit to less than 8.

So make 20-10 with 5 minutes left a potential 17-10 with 3 minutes risking the field goal getting blocked or bobbling the snap?

Or take the 2 possession lead and show your Defense that you have complete faith in them?

FOOTBALL 101

Or take the 2 possession lead and show your Offense that you have no faith in them?

Do you really think there is a 50% chance that something is going to go wrong on a field goal? Your statistics are off. Taking the penalty would have given us a first down on about the 11, and allowed us to burn off 2+ minutes off the clock or forced Air Force to burn up their time outs.

By your methodology we run the ball three times and kick a field goal anyway. We wouldn't pass, we wouldn't run outside. Being they still would need two scores, they burn all their TOs and get the ball back 30 seconds later.

My stats aren't off, you're generalizing it as raw numbers. There is far more that can go wrong on a FG than any other football play. That's why they practice so much. Until the late 1970s, college FG kickers rarely made half their kicks, as placekicking was not emphasised. Even now, overall NCAA FG % last year was 261 made 363 attempted .719 success. The average missed FG was 38.99 yards.

Or take the 2 possession lead and show your Offense that you have no faith in them?

Now its getting idiotic. WE ALREADY HAD THE POINTS!!!!!!!!!!

Faith has nothing to do with it. It's SIMPLE MATH!!!!!

time/number of scores needed=we win

And after watching the first 2 games which side of the ball do you think Brewster is more comfortable putting the game in the hands of?

They were Big Ten officials and those are called cut blocks and they are legal unless the defender is already engaged with another blocker. Mason's offense was predicated on this type of blocking.

Pretty sure they were not big ten officials.

this is getting out of control. it was the right call (every football coach would tell you that) and we won the game. lets move on.

Ditto!

This was the obvious, correct call.

Points, take the points. I loved that call. Up 2 scores with 5 minutes left, give you kicker even more confidence moving forward for the season. If the take the penalty and snap is bad, of the FG is blocked, or Weber get's sacked and fumbles, or Weber throws a pick that they house the other way for 103 yards, or, well you get the idea. If any of those things happen, people would be on here trying to run Brew out of town for taking points of the board with 5 minutes left.

Me either. but at the time i hated the decsion and to this date still have the decsion. you never in the NFL see a coach declined a penalty like that. and most of the time in College you don't either. it is moot point now. as we won the game.

Me either. but at the time i hated the decsion and to this date still have the decsion. you never in the NFL see a coach declined a penalty like that. and most of the time in College you don't either. it is moot point now. as we won the game.

And you rarely see an NFL kicker miss a field goal under 40 yards, either, and in college, how often do you see that exact scenario (up by 7, five minutes left)?! But in college, as another poster put it earlier, the average missed FG is about 38-39 yards - scoring an easy 3 again isn't exactly a gimme - would you have felt better about the decision had our kicker been Monroe instead of Ellestad? If I recall, Monroe's chip-shot miss basically started last year's 0-5 EOY tumble. You guys are unbelievable.

It's not like our running game was shoving it down their throats or something that we could suggest that we could just pound their gut and hope for a TD. Furthermore, best-case scenario, we run a couple minutes off the clock and score a TD. Then, most likely our D softens greatly and plays prevent D, AFA scores a quick TD in about 2 minutes, and we're STILL facing an onside kick, up 7 points, with the game on the line. Worst-case scenario, we turn the ball over and AFA ties the game or goes for 2 and wins it. Brew did the right thing, you guys are absolutely bonkers nuts. This was a no-brainer.

It was the right call. But I think it was Fisch, or another coach, who ran onto the field screaming to take the points. It just reiterates this was a text book decision that turned out to be the right decision.

Top Bottom