Decker gets No Love!!!

lakesgopher

Reaction score
I'm just curious what else Decker needs to accomplish to get some love for the national media! I think Decker has been a much more consistent wr for his entire career compared to a guy like benn who is just known for some big plays! I'm going to take heat for this next comment, but I'm starting to believe its race related! if Eric was black he probably is known as one of the top 3 wr's in the country! curious what you guys think?

Why would the predominantly white sports media be hesitant to laud a white receiver?

It has more to do with the U's perception than it does with skin color.

Gotta win more. Think of it this way...we beat Cal and Best still gets love for the 5 TD day. However, that love would be split with Decker's big day. Once we lost it became possible to ignore Decker and focus only on Best.

I'm going to take heat for this next comment, but I'm starting to believe its race related! if Eric was black he probably is known as one of the top 3 wr's in the country! curious what you guys think?

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Why would the predominantly white sports media be hesitant to laud a white receiver?

Exactly. Another example...where does the media's Tim Tebow fetish fall in this logic of racial bias?

I'm going to take heat for this next comment, but I'm starting to believe its race related! if Eric was black he probably is known as one of the top 3 wr's in the country! curious what you guys think?

Decker doesn't get the "love" because a) he plays for a team that's not ranked and not part of the national conversation and b) he doesn't catch touchdowns at the rate of the other elite wide receivers. Dez Bryant and Michael Crabtree had 19 TDs a year ago, Decker had 7.

If only Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy were black, they'd finally get some recognition.

Decker doesn't get the "love" because a) he plays for a team that's not ranked and not part of the national conversation and b) he doesn't catch touchdowns at the rate of the other elite wide receivers. Dez Bryant and Michael Crabtree had 19 TDs a year ago, Decker had 7.

If only Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy were black, they'd finally get some recognition.

I think its A more than B. Benn only had 3 TD's for Illinois last year but he's still a hot commodity.

QUOTE=lakesgopher;96080]I'm just curious what else Decker needs to accomplish to get some love for the national media! I think Decker has been a much more consistent wr for his entire career compared to a guy like benn who is just known for some big plays! I'm going to take heat for this next comment, but I'm starting to believe its race related! if Eric was black he probably is known as one of the top 3 wr's in the country! curious what you guys think?[/QUOTE]

You're kidding right?

There is a perception that white QB's are better than Black ones, and that black WR's are more athletic thus better than white ones.

It's hogwash, but at least I'll acknowledge the bias is out there.

I think though, people are in love with Benn's potential and probably rightfully so. Decker does lack that open field flash and speed that make the highlights.

I have enjoyed reading the comments from the fan boards on each of the Gopher's opponents. THEY GET IT. And, they go out of their way to laud him for what an incredible player he is. In the build up for the Cal game, I heard a lot about how it was a focus game for NFL scouts. Just how far has Decker's draft potential soared after just three games? How could anyone (especially an NFL scout) watch that game already knowing he was on everyone's NFL radar and NOT come away ready to buy into it? Yeah, it is frustrating that he doesn't get his sportscenter due. But, I am getting an increased feeling he will get his due on draft day. I'm REALLY going to miss him in the maroon and gold.

And no, like everyone else is saying... I don't think it has anything to do with his skin color.

Good call Schnauzer, The NFL is paying attention. I bet he slides down a bit though. Someone's going to get one hell of a reciever at a bargain.

a buddy of mine who works for the kansas city chiefs told me "decker is a great college player but let's face it, he's white!" I'm not about to say race is out of the question! who in the country is a better all around wr? who blocks, runs the great routes, etc I understand that he's not the fastest guy and he plays on an "average" team but there have been a lot of great players on average teams who get more attention then decker! I was just curious to what you all thought.

a buddy of mine who works for the kansas city chiefs told me "decker is a great college player but let's face it, he's white!" I'm not about to say race is out of the question! who in the country is a better all around wr? who blocks, runs the great routes, etc I understand that he's not the fastest guy and he plays on an "average" team but there have been a lot of great players on average teams who get more attention then decker! I was just curious to what you all thought.

For the Chief's sake I sure hope your buddy doesn't have any say in personnel decisions because then they're going to miss out on a good NFL receiver.

really stupid to compare race with a quarterback and a wide reciever! race probably has something to do with it! name 5 white wr's in the nfl...most of us can't do it because they are minimal....i hope its not a race deal but the idea is a possibility

really stupid to compare race with a quarterback and a wide reciever! race probably has something to do with it! name 5 white wr's in the nfl...most of us can't do it because they are minimal....i hope its not a race deal but the idea is a possibility

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it has anything to do with how much "love" he's getting as a college receiver.

Wait a minute.
If Decker is not getting press because his school is not in the top 25.....then wouldn't that be exactly why Seantrel Henderson would not choose the U?

I am confused about something though, everytime we have a broadcast the announcers rave about Decker. He's on every watch list. I'm not sure he's not getting the love. What is it that he's suppose to get that he hasn't got?

Wait a minute.
If Decker is not getting press because his school is not in the top 25.....then wouldn't that be exactly why Seantrel Henderson would not choose the U?

Could be one reason. But he'll be a lineman, and the o-line tends to get press as a group rather than as individuals until its time to get drafted (when was the last time you saw a great block make the SportsCenter Top 10?) Remember, tons of 1st round lineman come from schools outside the top-25.

Not being top 25 squad is a bigger deal if winning titles of some kind is something he aspires too.

I am confused about something though, everytime we have a broadcast the announcers rave about Decker. He's on every watch list. I'm not sure he's not getting the love. What is it that he's suppose to get that he hasn't got?

I'm guessing SportsCenter highlight reel type love.

Wait a minute.
Good point. Before this thread gets off topic let me just say that you're a fool if you think the stereotypes of a white QB being smarter and therefore "better" than a black QB or a black WR being more athletic and therefore better than a white WR are real and basically assumed true in the media whether it's a former player or a talking head like Mel Kiper Jr. So yes, there might be a racial element to it. But it is definitely not the main reason why he doesn't get a ton of love and hype on such shows as SportsCenter. That also has to do with not being ranked, but IMO it has the most to do with his style of play. He's not generally a style points kind of guy. He's a tough guy with solid hands who is GREAT at getting open. He's also faster and stronger than he looks. He's also not the best run-after-catch type guy. That said, the scouts love him and so do a lot of the talking heads (particularly Rittenberg) and our opponents definitely respect/hate him. I'm confident he'll get drafted higher than people predict and he'll have a solid NFL career as a 2nd or 3rd option guy (hopefully on a good team) who is always open and makes big catches.

I'm guessing SportsCenter highlight reel type love.

ESPN was raving about his performance Saturday night. They talked about the first catch and him hanging on to it and coming back to get another one. They even talked about being surprised by the "left-handed pass" which did surprise me a bit. Decker IS left=handed.:)

I'm just curious what else Decker needs to accomplish to get some love for the national media! I think Decker has been a much more consistent wr for his entire career compared to a guy like benn who is just known for some big plays! I'm going to take heat for this next comment, but I'm starting to believe its race related! if Eric was black he probably is known as one of the top 3 wr's in the country! curious what you guys think?

It's possible. Scouts and analysts have as much of a pre conceived idea of what a wideout or a running back should look like as they do for quarterbacks.

Minnesota's status as a mid-level program is probably most to blame, though.

What you said and Decker is perceived as more of a possesion receiver and not a deep ball threat. The deep ball threats tend to get a bit more attention.

Anyway, I am going to keep hoping for improvement by the team this season. I am hopeful that Decker will benefit from team improvement.

I don't see it, personally. I think Decker gets plenty of respect but college football isn't the type of sport where individual players seem to be the focus. If there is a really top player constantly highlighted, it is usually because he plays on a really top team. From what I've heard, Decker gets the utmost respect in terms of talent and draftability.

I think this conversation is kind of silly. Decker doesn't get the hype because he's not that exciting, his team is just ok, and his numbers are excellent but not mind blowing. You don't see Decker with many 70 yd TDs or highlight real runs after the catch. We all love Decker and he'll have a very good NFL career but he's not the best pro prospect out there either. Truthfully Bryant, Floyd, and Green are all probably better or just as good as him and that's no knock on Decker but those guys have great hands and deep speed (well maybe not Green). Still if Decker keeps putting up the numbers and we keep winning he'll get plenty of props

Top Bottom