De-Commit from De-Commit

LongSuffering

Reaction score
Can we use our time constructively and start a campaign to end the use of the term "de-commit"? Much like the phrase "my bad" which deflections responsibility and fails to actually apologize for the harm one person causes to another, the phrase "de-commit" deflects from the act of failing to follow through on an agreement or promise.

I propose that we cease supporting this gaslighting by no longer echoing the phrase and begin using the proper term, "renege", or one of its many synonyms:

re·nege
verb
  1. go back on a promise, undertaking, or contract.: "they have reneged on their promises to us" synonyms: default on, fail to honor, go back on, break, back out of, pull out of, withdraw from, retreat from, welsh on, backtrack on, repudiate, retract, go back on one's word, break one's word, break one's promise, do an about-face, cop out of, rat on

Linguistic accuracy aside, in today's climate the potential for misunderstanding or mispronunciation, and the resulting consequences, might well counsel against using the word you suggest.

Jebus, now we gotta crap on kids who change their mind on what school they're going to?

View attachment 28963
The issue is not kids having a choice. It's the practice of committing to reserve a space while knowing that they are going to keep their options open. And then, when they do find a better option sliding out of their first commitment through the use of a popular euphemism and the obligatory "conversation and prayer" post. It all feels very disingenuous and lacking in accountability.

Does it really benefit kids to promote this lack of any sense of commitment or obligation? Do we tell kids to propose to the first girl they meet in case nobody better comes along? "I'm sorry sweety but I'm decommiting from our engagement and I'm commiting to her cause she's hotter":ROFLMAO:

The issue is not kids having a choice. It's the practice of committing to reserve a space while knowing that they are going to keep their options open. And then, when they do find a better option sliding out of their first commitment through the use of a popular euphemism and the obligatory "conversation and prayer" post. It all feels very disingenuous and lacking in accountability.

Does it really benefit kids to promote this lack of any sense of commitment or obligation? Do we tell kids to propose to the first girl they meet in case nobody better comes along? "I'm sorry sweety but I'm decommiting from our engagement and I'm commiting to her cause she's hotter":ROFLMAO:
Look, I agree I don't like the trend of lack of commitment, whether it be in football or in society in general, but we're not talking about marriage, or a legal contract here. I think I can handle a 17 year old choosing not to play for my favorite football team.

Everyone in the process knows this is how it works.

That's how I do it with life too. I work someplace, and if there's a better offer I work someplace else. Or I move to a better house.

And yeah people do get divorced ... but in this case it's college football man, that's way less serious.

I am disappointed when players I wanted to see play for MN de-commit too, but it is their call, I respect it. The term is fine.

Last edited:

Can we use our time constructively and start a campaign to end the use of the term "de-commit"? Much like the phrase "my bad" which deflections responsibility and fails to actually apologize for the harm one person causes to another, the phrase "de-commit" deflects from the act of failing to follow through on an agreement or promise.

I propose that we cease supporting this gaslighting by no longer echoing the phrase and begin using the proper term, "renege", or one of its many synonyms:

re·nege
verb
  1. go back on a promise, undertaking, or contract.: "they have reneged on their promises to us" synonyms: default on, fail to honor, go back on, break, back out of, pull out of, withdraw from, retreat from, welsh on, backtrack on, repudiate, retract, go back on one's word, break one's word, break one's promise, do an about-face, cop out of, rat on
"my bad" makes no sense since "my" is a possessive pronoun and "bad" is an adjective. You can't have a "bad." A bad what? It's akin to saying "our slow."

Look, I agree I don't like the trend of lack of commitment, whether it be in football or in society in general, but we're not talking about marriage, or a legal contract here. I think I can handle a 17 year old choosing not to play for my favorite football team.
As an example: I would be fine with the Pretzlaff kids announcement if he had said something like, "This was a difficult decision because I really liked the people at Minnesota and I was excited about being a part of their program but when I committed it was largely about the opportunity to play for Coach Rossi. With him coming to Michigan State and the added benefit of playing closer to home, family and friends, I have made the difficult decision to switch my commitment to Michigan State".

Damn! I could write these for kids and make money!

"my bad" makes no sense since "my" is a possessive pronoun and "bad" is an adjective. You can't have a "bad." A bad what? It's akin to saying "our slow."
"Bad" can be a noun per Webster's dictionary.

As an example: I would be fine with the Pretzlaff kids announcement if he had said something like, "This was a difficult decision because I really liked the people at Minnesota and I was excited about being a part of their program but when I committed it was largely about the opportunity to play for Coach Rossi. With him coming to Michigan State and the added benefit of playing closer to home, family and friends, I have made the difficult decision to switch my commitment to Michigan State".

Damn! I could write these for kids and make money!
Ok and what really would that change if he worded it that way? We all know this is most likely about Rossi.

There needs to be a penalty for committing (a contract) then disavowing your commitment. I suggest one year of ineligibility. Student athlete must complete a year of academic success before beginning to participate. Same with Transfer Portal. You move to another school, you get a year off. Like the old days.

There needs to be a penalty for committing (a contract) then disavowing your commitment. I suggest one year of ineligibility. Student athlete must complete a year of academic success before beginning to participate. Same with Transfer Portal. You move to another school, you get a year off. Like the old days.
Good luck with that.

Yeah, you're right. It just sounds stupid to me. I still ask, my bad what?
Generally, whomever one is communicating with will understand what the "my bad" is referring to in the context of a larger discussion.

It's synonymous with "I effed up." They will know unless it is just thrown out as some non sequitur.

Can't wait for a recruit to say they've selected Minnesota as their place holder. Meaning I'll go here as long as nothing more enticing comes along later. This already is what they're doing, they're just not saying it. Most of these kids are not actually committed in their hearts.

Ok and what really would that change if he worded it that way? We all know this is most likely about Rossi.
It would be sincere and it would demonstrate a legitimate rationale for failing to follow through on his original commitment. Refreshing honesty and accountabililty.

Coaches too?

It would be sincere and it would demonstrate a legitimate rationale for failing to follow through on his original commitment. Refreshing honesty and accountabililty.
Yeah and when my company fired people I wish HR sent an email that said "Jimmy is fired because he spends too much company time on GopherHole", but it doesn't work that way, and I really don't care that much.

re·nege
verb
On second thought 💭, I’m going to decommit from this thread.

as I understood the OP, the question is over the use of the word "commit" and the use of the term "decommit" to signify that a player has decided not to honor the original commitment.

I tend to agree that a verbal commitment is often meaningless in today's college football climate.

but off the top of my head, I can't come up with a better term.

I thought about "intent" - as in "I intend to play football for Directional State."

but people might get that mixed up with the National Letter of Intent.

my other (sarcastic) thought - would "un-commit" be better than "de-commit?"

The actual commitment (contractually) doesn't come until signing day. These verbals are just lip service. Even the contractual commitment is short term with the current portal rules.

Heck, until signing day, coaches can and do push aside verbal commitments if a better player comes along.

This is the part that mostly bugs me - the feigned piety. Did God show up as a burning football and tell you where to go play? You were given free will to make choices. You made a choice, reneged on it, and made a different choice. Don't let your ego assume it was some kind of divine intervention. Especially not over a damn sport.

Maybe the real lesson in all of this is don't get too hung up on "commitments" and instead look at who is on the roster in the fall. Those are the only real commitments. The rest is just a giant subjective game that funds websites and sells podcasts. But hey, they calculate those rankings to 4 decimal places, so it has to be accurate, right??? :)

Top Bottom