DCT running track...

RunGopherRun

Reaction score
Opened up in the 60m tonight in the prelims of the track team's tune up for next weeks big ten conference meet. He is currently ranked tied for 12th in the big ten and will likely need to run around 6.80 to make the final. No breaking news since we all knew how fast he is...hopefully he can put some of that speed to use come September!

Never seemed that fast on the field. Hopefully he is spending some time working on catching the ball.
WR is the real weak point for next years team and somebody needs to step up.

Never seemed that fast on the field. Hopefully he is spending some time working on catching the ball.
WR is the real weak point for next years team and somebody needs to step up.

That is exactly what I was thinking. He should be working on running routes, getting separation and catching the football. You know, the basics of being a WR.

Yea him and Derrick Engel ( 20 yards per catch - big ten leader ) hopefully we will get good qb play ! They worked good together in the bowl game !

Yea him and Derrick Engel ( 20 yards per catch - big ten leader ) hopefully we will get good qb play ! They worked good together in the bowl game !

This. I don't know why everyone harps on the WRs so much when the qb play last year was at least just as weak.

This. I don't know why everyone harps on the WRs so much when the qb play last year was at least just as weak.

Yes the QB play was questionable, but the the receivers did not help Nelson out. They did not make adjustments on the ball. If they don't make significant
improvement in the offseason, we will be in for another disappointing season. This year will be our best chance to beat the stinking Badgers in years, but we will need a
downfield passing game to do it. BTW: great job by Mens Hockey, Wrestling, and B-ball for putting the hurt on Becky this week.

It has to help both parties by being together for the whole year and building rapport with each other. Considering none of the guys from this past season were starters two years ago, few were even on the team 2 years ago.

Good point ! It takes time to develop the passing game ! It will help having time together ! You could see the improvement in the bowl game with a healthy offense line giving Nelson more time ! Kill said that is the style he wants to play ! I like our offense next year with everyone healthy ! We will much more balanced getting gray. Out ! You can't change qb's so much and should play the top 4 receivers so you get in a groove ! The bowl game we played DCT , Engel , and Fruchete! Add in Hairston and possibly McDonald if he gets his act together ! I like this much better than last year !

Yes the QB play was questionable, but the the receivers did not help Nelson out. They did not make adjustments on the ball. If they don't make significant
improvement in the offseason, we will be in for another disappointing season. This year will be our best chance to beat the stinking Badgers in years, but we will need a
downfield passing game to do it. BTW: great job by Mens Hockey, Wrestling, and B-ball for putting the hurt on Becky this week.

Engle, Fruechte and yes Barker at least, all made adjustments on the ball. The problem to often was the ball was uncatchable or an much easier catch for the Defender than the Wideout, i.e. the Iowa game.

Good point ! It takes time to develop the passing game ! It will help having time together ! You could see the improvement in the bowl game with a healthy offense line giving Nelson more time ! Kill said that is the style he wants to play ! I like our offense next year with everyone healthy ! We will much more balanced getting gray. Out ! You can't change qb's so much and should play the top 4 receivers so you get in a groove ! The bowl game we played DCT , Engel , and Fruchete! Add in Hairston and possibly McDonald if he gets his act together ! I like this much better than last year !

Dude ! Easy on the caffeine ! LOL !

DCT is obviously fast. I think this a case where people like to use the term football fast. I'm not sure how football fast he is. I think he is rather tall...sometime long striders don't look like they're moving that fast.

I have no problem with him running track. I just hope he's working out with the football as well.

Haha good pt ice ! Gray seemed to overthrow a ton of wide open receivers whenever he threw ! His accuracy was awful ! Look at the bowl game when he overthrew. Engel and DCT to ice the game in the 4th quarter . Nelson is 18 and got thrown to the Wolves last year ! He will be much better next year on his accuracy ! Engel came back on the ball at least 3 times and adjusted in the air on under thrown balls

I think DCT is fast, but not quick. In football terms he is slow starting and changing directions, he rarely(if ever) gets a chance to hit full stride. That's why the 40 is the most overrated measurable in football. Who would you rather have Anquon Boldin or Troy Williamson?

I think DCT is fast, but not quick. In football terms he is slow starting and changing directions, he rarely(if ever) gets a chance to hit full stride. That's why the 40 is the most overrated measurable in football. Who would you rather have Anquon Boldin or Troy Williamson?

Depends on handheld or electronic timing! :horse:

Great Point. People fall in love with 40 times but some of the best receivers we have had here have not been burners by any stretch of the imagination. Guys like Eric Decker and Ron Johnson were great WR for us but neither of them had great pure speed. They knew how to get open and catch the ball.

Guys like DCT have great natural speed but there is some real question as to their football ability.

Great Point. People fall in love with 40 times but some of the best receivers we have had here have not been burners by any stretch of the imagination. Guys like Eric Decker and Ron Johnson were great WR for us but neither of them had great pure speed. They knew how to get open and catch the ball.

Guys like DCT have great natural speed but there is some real question as to their football ability.

I dare you to Tweet that comment to Ron Johnson. He will say his 40 time mattered and he was pretty damn fast.

I heard Devin Crawford-Tufts is running track. Anybody know about it?

I dare you to Tweet that comment to Ron Johnson. He will say his 40 time mattered and he was pretty damn fast.

Don't use Twitter but I do know Ron and I highly doubt he would take any offense to my comment. Like I said Ron was a great receiver for us but in terms of pure foot speed he wouldn't be able to keep up with the burners that play the WR position. He could probably out jump, out manuever and get open better than the vast majority of them but running in a straight line with no pads on and with no defensive back in front of him he wouldn't measure up on the stopwatch compared to those 4.3 or 4.4 guys everyone falls in love with.

That is part of the reason it takes me longer to buy into guys like DCT, Jones, and Maye because even though they might have great speed if they can't do all the other stuff required at the WR position then they just become a track guy playing football. Just to be clear though I am not saying that is the case with those three I mentioned but to date I have not seen anything that makes me think any of them are destined for stardom despite how fast they are.

WRs don't like being overthrown over and over again. you could see the frustration from the wideouts last year.

Just thought I'd update DCT's progress on the track. He ran the 3rd fastest qualifying time in the preliminaries of the 60m at the Big Ten Championships today, running a 6.78. The top qualifier is also a Minnesota kid, Sean King, from CDH for any track followers out there.

Good track guys aren't necessarily good route runners. They excel in staight-line running and often do not have good direction change capability. It's all about route running technique. The future will tell all. I'm not expecting much.

@dcrawfordtufts: Great first day! 6.78 in the 60meter qualified for the finals, 21.3 in the 200meter qualified for the finals. Excited for tomorrow! #GOPHERS

Go Gophers!!

@dcrawfordtufts: Great first day! 6.78 in the 60meter qualified for the finals, 21.3 in the 200meter qualified for the finals. Excited for tomorrow! #GOPHERS

Go Gophers!!

3rd fastest time today.

Just thought I'd update DCT's progress on the track. He ran the 3rd fastest qualifying time in the preliminaries of the 60m at the Big Ten Championships today, running a 6.78. The top qualifier is also a Minnesota kid, Sean King, from CDH for any track followers out there.

King's really worked hard in his time here, becoming a 6.6 60m guy. He's getting awfully close to Ibrahim Kabia's U record, will be interesting if he can get it.

Saw that DCT ran 35 secs in the 200 m final at the Big Ten Championships. For the track followers on here, does anyone know why? Hoping it was something with the start such as slipping out of the blocks and not an injury.

@gopherfootball: Devin Crawford-Tufts placed fourth in the finals of the 60-meter dash at the Big Ten Indoor Track Championships with a 6.80. First was 6.71.

Go Gophers!!

Saw that DCT ran 35 secs in the 200 m final at the Big Ten Championships. For the track followers on here, does anyone know why? Hoping it was something with the start such as slipping out of the blocks and not an injury.

My thoughts exactly. Anyone know? Unfortunately It's more probable it's an injury he pulled up on late.
That would suck. He's had hammy problems before.

I haven't seen a thing about it, but usually guys don't jog in times like that unless there's an injury involved. Even if he just cut the gas off cause maybe he was out of it and was in a bad lane, you don't go 35. Hopefully it's nothing serious though if that's the case.

I would rather have Troy Williamson....but then I also prefer Whoopi Goldberg over Halle Berry!

I also prefer Whoopi Goldberg over Halle Berry!

Mitt-Romney-Sucks-Here%E2%80%99s-Why-Photo-by-2bp.jpg

Top Bottom