DB's next year

golfinggopher

Reaction score
Looking through our roster last night, there just aren't a lot of DB's next year...So, I guess my question is: Are Kenny Watkins and Kerry Lewis both corners? Does anyone think they're going to get a chance to start oppositive Carter next year? I love Collado on special teams, the guy is a beast, but as a corner I sure hope we have other options because I think overall our D will be very athletic next year but we are gonna need someone with some coverage skills.

I forgot who said it but I thought it might be a good idea is move Royston to corner during Spring ball and see what he can do? He came in as a cornerback and move Collado to safety where he's more suited for the position.

Collado has difficulty in man coverage. Maybe with the D moving to more zone, he'll do better.

Hopefull that new Juco recruit we recieved a commitment from will help us out big time next year!

Wow. Four posts into a thread on Gopher DB's and nobody has ripped Theret yet. Who is going to be the first?

Theret is solid in my opinion. Just cause he is not uber athletic, doesn't mean he can't play ball.

I have no problems with Theret. He's a player whose value is probably dependent on who surrounds him and he's not exactly surrounded by unbridled excellence back there.

The new JUCO recruit (another Lewis) is probably going to be counted on to play immediately. Collado would be better in a zone and maybe there will be some adjustments to get him on the field in some capacity.

Carter looks like a player so we should be fine on that side of the field.

Has anyone heard anything on the recruitment of Tyrone Bouie. He is a kid we had in here for a visit on our opening game along with his cousin. His video was pretty impressive.

I wonder if we are still after him or are just banking on Vareen or Donavan Lewis.

Has anyone heard anything on the recruitment of Tyrone Bouie. He is a kid we had in here for a visit on our opening game along with his cousin. His video was pretty impressive.

I wonder if we are still after him or are just banking on Vareen or Donavan Lewis.

He has a nice offer list and has only visited Minnesota. Tidbit: He's also being recruited by David Lockwood for West Virginia.

Nolan Brewster just commited to Minnesota!

Google it.

yeah because they've been doing wonders for us this year...

Brock was a decent ball player.

However, for the original question...

I know i've talked about moving Royston to CB, but having Rallis/Theret as our two safeties is kind of a scary possibility. They are both decent ball players but they both would be better suited to playing with a safety who could cover a lot of ground.

However, here is how I would probably rank our defensive backfield (i'm assuming the position change)....
S: Theret / Rallis
S: Watkins / Dandridge / Collado
CB: Royston / Lewis
CB: Carter / Lewis

The JuCo kid is really skinny, so I imagine he will be playing CB, and I think i've heard that both Watkins and Dandridge are better suited for safety.

Do not count on a true Fr. to be able to help or even play next yr. Carter is probably 1 in 50 and they are bringing him along slowly. We don't want to happen to him what happened to Collato. If we could have brought him along slowly I don't think he would have gotten screwed up mentally about getting beat.

Kenny Watkins and Kerry Lewis are both safeties. Watkins has the man-to-man coverage skills to play nickel back but I don't see him moving away from FS to CB. I haven't seen enough of Lewis to know whether he can play CB but I would describe him as a Tyrone Carter type SS (smaller sized safety that may play CB at the next level if he makes it there but is more natural as a SS).

Christyn Lewis was recruited to give us support at CB. I put him as a starter on my depth chart because I don't think we're recruiting him to play nickel back.

CB: Carter / freshman CB (A. Lewis, Veazie, other?)
CB: C. Lewis / Collado
SS: Theret / Rallis / K. Lewis
FS: Royston / Dandridge / Watkins

James Manuel is another recruit at safety next year but he will probably redshirt.

It wouldn't surprise me if Watkins or Lewis pass up Rallis or Dandridge on the two-deep at safety but I put them in order of eligibility remaining.

Kenny Watkins and Kerry Lewis are both safeties. Watkins has the man-to-man coverage skills to play nickel back but I don't see him moving away from FS to CB. I haven't seen enough of Lewis to know whether he can play CB but I would describe him as a Tyrone Carter type SS (smaller sized safety that may play CB at the next level if he makes it there but is more natural as a SS).

Christyn Lewis was recruited to give us support at CB. I put him as a starter on my depth chart because I don't think we're recruiting him to play nickel back.

CB: Carter / freshman CB (A. Lewis, Veazie, other?)
CB: C. Lewis / Collado
SS: Theret / Rallis / K. Lewis
FS: Royston / Dandridge / Watkins

James Manuel is another recruit at safety next year but he will probably redshirt.

It wouldn't surprise me if Watkins or Lewis pass up Rallis or Dandridge on the two-deep at safety but I put them in order of eligibility remaining.

If you are thinking that both Watkins and Lewis are more suited to playing safety, it might make even more sense to move Royston or Stoudamire to CB. I don't like the idea of relying on true freshman, a JuCo guy, and Collado as 3/4 of our two deep at CB. I actually think Collado will be a full time S next season as well. He went from being an awful CB, to a decent Safety with the switch.

Top Bottom