Dawson Garcia enters transfer portal

After two years.....I'd still take Ihnen over Wahl. Much higher ceiling.
Not sure who i would take but if there was a game tomorrow i would take Wahl as he is a high level defender.

Depends on who we play. Wahl was isolated by Baylor on both ends of the floor since he was a step or two slower than all Baylor players. I like Ihnen’s defensive length against most matchups.
Not sure who i would take but if there was a game tomorrow i would take Wahl as he is a high level defender.

Depends on who we play. Wahl was isolated by Baylor on both ends of the floor since he was a step or two slower than all Baylor players. I like Ihnen’s defensive length against most matchups.
No big deal just a difference of opinion. Baylor is a hard match for anyone. However, now that Ihnen has a capable defensive coach on staff he may be great.

Sounds like the gophers aren’t on his final list.

UNC, Arizona, Illinois with a possible return to Marquette or stay in the draft.

How can it be a miss by Ben when he didn't even want to visit the u of an or consider coming home, he may not even leave Marg

Spaulding wouldn’t know sarcasm if it bit him in the a$$
Hey, at least he didn’t take a personal shot at Ben for once.

Too bad about Garcia. Assumed we were a long shot, but still need to find two more bigs. Might have to settle for one at this point.

Hey, at least he didn’t take a personal shot at Ben for once.
Assumed we were a long shot, but still need to find two more bigs. Might have to settle for one at this point.

Well, if Ben is willing to settle enough, he certainly can get two. There are still a fair number of bigs in the portal but relatively few of them are even of average quality. To some degree, Ben did mess up by concentrating on filing the backcourt early. There are far more decent guards remaining than decent big men.

The good news I guess is that most of the transfer commitments one is seeing recently are commitments to much lower level programs than the Gophers.

Well, if Ben is willing to settle enough, he certainly can get two. There are still a fair number of bigs in the portal but relatively few of them are even of average quality. To some degree, Ben did mess up by concentrating on filing the backcourt early. There are far more decent guards remaining than decent big men.

The good news I guess is that most of the transfer commitments one is seeing recently are commitments to much lower level programs than the Gophers.
You’re assuming his focus was on the backcourt because those are the commitments he got. I’m sure he offered and recruited lots of bigs but so did everyone else.

You’re assuming his focus was on the backcourt because those are the commitments he got. I’m sure he offered and recruited lots of bigs but so did everyone else.
Race Thompson, the kid from A&M that seemed like a certainty until it wasn’t, Brandon Johnson staying at MN until he didn’t, Liam not transferring right away, Parker Fox tearing his ACL, etc. I’m guessing he focused on both - things just haven’t fallen their way with frontcourt players.

Last edited:

Players similar to Garcia likely will choose a college program with a core of talented higher level proven players in aiding one's abilities to progress as a potential NBA player.. Without a doubt a high profile player will choose a college with national media exposure showcasing his talent in tournament advancement...The roster assembled for 2021 Gophers would be questionable to aspire a gifted true NBA potential talent, joining a team expected to finish at the bottom of the Big Ten & obviously not on paper the appearance of a tournament bound team.......

Never was at A&M, Prev. years at Indiana as was mentioned.

You misinterpreted that comment I believe (although it wasn't perfectly clear).

"Race Thompson, the kid from A&M that seemed like a certainty until it wasn’t,..."

He's talking about two different people. Months ago it was rumored that one of our assistants was coming from A&M and two players, one of them a front court player, may follow. None of those things happened.

You are right, I must've not caught that part of the post,there was a possibility of one or two transfers from A&M. With the uncle of one of them as an assistant. Sorry for not getting that.

Race Thompson, the kid from A&M that seemed like a certainty until it wasn’t, Brandon Johnson staying at MN until he didn’t, Liam not transferring right away, Parker Fox tearing his ACL, etc. I’m guessing he focused on both - things just haven’t fallen their way with frontcourt players.
That is basically what I said—but with less words.

Can't blame Garcia for his choices here.

Established national programs versus the wing-and-a-prayer home state school?

Just reinforces the difficulty Mark Coyle and Ben Johnson are going to face both short-term and long-term with the men's basketball program.

Can't blame Garcia for his choices here.

Established national programs versus the wing-and-a-prayer home state school?

Just reinforces the difficulty Mark Coyle and Ben Johnson are going to face both short-term and long-term with the men's basketball program.
Mark Coyle created many challenges all by himself.

I'm not so sure it was him, but that is all we will ever know. Unless something leaks...

I thought it was pretty well known that the previous year he wanted Craig Smith. For whatever reason, this time around he didn't even interview Craig Smith.

Top Bottom