Dawn Plitzuweit Named New Gopher Head Coach!

Randball's musings:
Almost exactly 21 years ago, Brenda Frese (then Oldfield) shocked the Gophers women's basketball program.

After engineering a massive turnaround and taking the Gophers to the second round of the NCAA tournament in her one season following the messy Cheryl Littlejohn era, Frese decided to uproot and take the head job at Maryland.

It was an awkward transition, to say the least, with Frese even disagreeing with then-women's AD Chris Voelz's characterization of why she left. "I don't really think that it's in my best interests for me to go into why I left Minnesota," Frese said at the time. "I've moved on in a different direction and am just looking forward to the opportunity that I have here with Maryland."

And it left impressionable young players to wonder about the notion of loyalty.

"We're finding out the hard way," star player Lindsay Whalen said at the time, "that there's not much."

Women's sports are an incredible value, especially when they are Gophers basketball.

Can also sell games can't attend at StubHub.

Also see this:

Women's sports are an incredible value, especially when they are Gophers basketball.

Can also sell games can't attend at StubHub.

Also see this:

Can also sell tickets on the Minnesota Gophers app if you're a STH.

in another thread on this board, I saw an article that mentioned a possible reason for the Coach changing jobs after one year. Apparently her parents still live in Wisconsin, are getting older and having some health problems, so she wanted to be closer to home.

I think any of us with elderly parents can understand that.

in another thread on this board, I saw an article that mentioned a possible reason for the Coach changing jobs after one year. Apparently her parents still live in Wisconsin, are getting older and having some health problems, so she wanted to be closer to home.

I think any of us with elderly parents can understand that.
She mentioned it in an interview I saw. Have to think she has had this on her radar and timing came this year. Also I like that she had a year at the Power level as that can only help her.

Seeing they were a 10 seed and really made the tournament by winning on their home court. 13-2 at home and 3-7 on the road. 2-7 verses ranked teams beating Iowa State and Baylor.

They got destroyed by Oklahoma and on the road at Texas. Those games will help her in knowing what talent she will need to win big.

Top Bottom