Dawn Plitzuweit Named New Gopher Head Coach!

Just out of curiosity ... what kind of "huge" buyout are we talking about here?

If we have money to buyout a women's HC contract ... do we have money to buyout a certain men's HC contract???
:unsure:

EDIT: even a million is nowhere close to $8M, and it wasn't even a half million.
Correct and we are paying the buyout to get a coach here. I find it different to pay for one to come here vs paying one to go away. It’s not the same even with loss of some revenues. Also it’s year 2 vs 5 so it’s not the same comparison there either.

Plitzuweit is an upper Midwest coach. She has strong recruiting connections in Minnesota and the upper Midwest. She was an assistant coach in the Midwest. She was a top coach at South Dakota for years.

She took a one year detour to West Virginia and now back where she should be. Minnesota is the ideal spot.

The path to Minnesota has been smart and right.

Dawn’s contract is six-year contract worth $800,000 per year in base salary.

Wow she got a nice $250K increase in her WV salary which was $550k.

The University of Minnesota is really committed to women’s basketball with that type of commitment to the new coach.

$800k base salary. Are there incentives? What are those? How much? (If Big Ten/home area is attraction, wouldn’t she have come for $600k base salary, a $50k increase from W Va, + incentives?) Kim Barnes Arico had base salary of $545k this season. Illinois had to overpay Shauna Green $800k base salary to come to Illinois. Don’t think Gophers had to do the same.

$350k+ plus buyout to W Va

Pay Lindsay $575k next year in a new position not to coach

Pay Hugh McCutcheon not to coach

Easy to see why the Gophers can’t afford men’s indoor track anymore.

$800k base salary. Are there incentives? What are those? How much? (If Big Ten/home area is attraction, wouldn’t she have come for $600k base salary, a $50k increase from W Va, + incentives?) Kim Barnes Arico had base salary of $545k this season. Illinois had to overpay Shauna Green $800k base salary to come to Illinois. Don’t think Gophers had to do the same.

$350k+ plus buyout to W Va

Pay Lindsay $575k next year in a new position not to coach

Pay Hugh McCutcheon not to coach

Easy to see why the Gophers can’t afford men’s indoor track anymore.

KIm Barnes Arico earns at least 850k per year. Plitzuweit's base of 800k would put her in the top seven of Big Ten salaries.

KIm Barnes Arico earns at least 850k per year. Plitzuweit's base of 800k would put her in the top seven of Big Ten salaries.
Your KBA salary figure is full boat, all incentives included. What are Coach P’s incentives? At this point, Coach P and KBA should not be in the same ball park.

“Barnes Arico signed a five-year extension before last season and is in her 11th year at the helm for the Wolverines. She is earning $545,00 in base pay -- up $20,000 from 2021.”

Your KBA salary figure is full boat, all incentives included. What are Coach P’s incentives? At this point, Coach P and KBA should not be in the same ball park.

“Barnes Arico signed a five-year extension before last season and is in her 11th year at the helm for the Wolverines. She is earning $545,00 in base pay -- up $20,000 from 2021.”

That's the fun thing about contracts. There can be base and there can be TV etc.. that pays like base. Bottom line is Kim Barnes Arico will make at least 850K each season plus incentives.

Michigan head women's basketball coach Kim Barnes Arico will earn $850,000 in 2021-22 and that number will rise close to seven figures by the end of her new five-year contract, which was signed last month and announced last week.

Her salary for this season includes $525,000 in base pay, $275,000 for TV and radio appearances and other sponsorships, plus $50,000 in deferred compensation, according to contract terms obtained by The News. Her base pay will be more than $600,000 in Year 5 of the deal.

I haven't seen Plitzuweit's contract-usually it shows up in Board of Regents materials.

FB_IMG_1679245536368.jpg

ESPN:

"Plitzuweit has a proven track record at multiple programs, most recently West Virginia and South Dakota, with only one of her squads in 16 seasons as head coach not making the postseason. She boasts nine 20- and two 30-win seasons as well as a 356-141 career record (201-66 in league play).

"I am extremely excited," Plitzuweit said in a statement. "It is a tremendous honor to be named head coach at Minnesota. ... This is a homecoming of sorts, and Minnesota is a program that I am very familiar with from my previous time in the surrounding area and in the Big Ten. I am looking forward to getting back to the area and to meet the team, alumni and fans. I am also looking forward to reconnecting with local high school and club coaches. I can't wait to get to work.""

Re-reading this post, are you saying that Coach P’s base salary alone puts her in the top 7 of the league for total salary?

Re-reading this post, are you saying that Coach P’s base salary alone puts her in the top 7 of the league for total salary?

Certainly behind Freese, McGuff, Bluder, Barnes-Arico, and Moren. Maybe behind Green; but as you suspect, I assume the contract is in Green's range. It will be of interest what MIchigan State pays to replace Merchant

To put her salary in context:

-Position her pay against other Big Ten women coaches with proven winning records and making the post season. She is above average.

-Comparing to other sports is problematic. The football coach PJ makes millions but football is profitable and supports other Minnesota sports programs that are not.

-Comparing to men's Big Ten basketball coaches also is problematic since the fan support willing to pay money and revenues are not comparable.

But just for fun, the 9th highest paid men's Big Ten basketball coach makes $3.2 million:

-You can also compare to Whalen's pay who according to ESPN "went 71-76, including 11-19 (4-14 Big Ten) in 2022-23. She failed to coach the Gophers into the NCAA tournament during her time in Minneapolis."

To put her salary in context:

-Position her pay against other Big Ten women coaches with proven winning records and making the post season. She is above average.

-Comparing to other sports is problematic. The football coach PJ makes millions but football is profitable and supports other Minnesota sports programs that are not.

-Comparing to men's Big Ten basketball coaches also is problematic since the fan support willing to pay money and revenues are not comparable.

But just for fun, the 9th highest paid men's Big Ten basketball coach makes $3.2 million:

-You can also compare to Whalen's pay who according to ESPN "went 71-76, including 11-19 (4-14 Big Ten) in 2022-23. She failed to coach the Gophers into the NCAA tournament during her time in Minneapolis."
All good points, but would she have turned down the job for $600k base, with upside incentives? I doubt it, but am open to persuasion, e.g. MSU also really wanted her, and Minnesota really needed to pay $800k to get her.

Just out of curiosity - was her original reason for leaving USD competition and $$$ related or was there something else going on? I am not putting that forth in a negatice way (Ex. Recruiting Violations, etc)

The entire starting lineup graduated from South Dakota that year so I think it was time to move on.

I have no inside knowledge, but after reading a variety of articles, etc. my guess is that her reasons to come her are several including closer to family, familiarity with recruiting this area (and easier to get recruits to U than WV), increased salary, B1G, and maybe even a change of bosses (WV AD who hired her was fired shortly afterward). Of course, we will never know the whole story. Hope shie is a great hire and wants to retire here after many successful seasons.

Dawn Plitzuweit​

has a winning record at an FCS school and solid experience. She will be recruiting in a Midwest recruiting hotbed. On a personal level, she is close to her midwestern roots and will live in a great city to live in.

Let's hope she can tweak the lineup with Lindsay's recruits and maybe with transfers to show some immediate impact which will be suitable for long-suffering Gopher Women's Basketball fans. She has some of the pieces in place.

It is too bad we lost Sara Scalia when she transferred. I can't blame her. She wanted to play in the March Madness tournaments.

Looks like she just wanted to be home. Midwest family through and through.

Her son plays college basketball in South Dakota. Her daughter plays in Michigan. Both her parents still live in Wisconsin. Minnesota top 5 state to live in. It’s. No brainer for her as well joining the Big 10 and getting a significant pay raise.’

I have zero patience. I want to know who is staying. I want to know what the current signee’s are doing. I want to know who she is bringing (recruits or transfers). Last season I apparently had no problem waiting until august….but I am just excited to see what the team is going to look like.

We've seen how going on the cheap worked for the MBB. MN has done enough of that in my lifetime. And with the new tv contract kicking in now, money should no longer be of any concern. Can't believe we are arguing the smartness of paying a coach in the B1G a couple 100k more. Bout time we do that.

All good points, but would she have turned down the job for $600k base, with upside incentives? I doubt it, but am open to persuasion, e.g. MSU also really wanted her, and Minnesota really needed to pay $800k to get her.
Why do you care how much she gets paid?

I have lurked on this board for quite a few years, but with the hire of Coach P, I decided it’s time to create an account. My daughter played for coach P at South Dakota, and I am ecstatic for this hire. She is a fantastic coach, not just on the court, but also in the growth and development of the players as smart, capable, confident young women. She brought in successful women from various industries over the past several years, to talk with our girls, encourage them, and answer questions about how to accomplish the art of life. She is a tough coach on the court, and expects her players to buy in to the team. I look forward to seeing what will happen now with the Gophers.

Why do you care how much she gets paid?
Because I’m a track fan and supporter. It doesn’t cost a lot to fund an indoor mens track team, but it was too much for the U. Yet, we can pay Hugh and Lindsay not to coach in new made-up jobs, pay W VA a buyout and maybe overpay Dawn P.

Last edited:

The entire starting lineup graduated from South Dakota that year so I think it was time to move on.
In addition, as a mid major, it’s hard to schedule some of the P5 opponents, especially when your team is very good. There are P5 teams that will not schedule strong mid-majors because they don’t want to have a loss. We were lucky at South Dakota, in that South Carolina, Oklahoma, and Missouri, among others, scheduled games with USD for the last three years that my daughter played.

Because I’m a track fan and supporter. It doesn’t cost a lot to fund an indoor mens track team, but it was too much for the U, but we can pay Hugh and Lindsay not to coach in new made-up jobs, pay W VA a buyout and maybe overpay Dawn P.
Cutting men’s indoor makes absolutely no sense, if you’re not cutting outdoor. It’s all the same roster, all the same equipment, all the same coaches. There is no such thing as an indoor-only track athlete.

Save a little bit of money not traveling to some indoor meets (and conf/NCAA indoor champs). Not sure if indoor was allowed to be the “source” of a few additional scholarships? So maybe a tiny savings there.

Makes no sense.

Cutting mens gym and tennis makes far more sense.

Cutting Men's Indoor Track was not an expense issue. It involves a Title IX issue. They would have to add a woman's team in order to reinstate men's indoor track. The men's track team already has men on scholarship and they already have the coaches, so the cost to reinstate would be minimal, but the U. would have to add an equal number of women's scholarship. Scholarships are counted separately for indoor and outdoor track. The distance runners, who run cross country, can be counted three times. I would like to see indoor track added for men.

That's the fun thing about contracts. There can be base and there can be TV etc.. that pays like base. Bottom line is Kim Barnes Arico will make at least 850K each season plus incentives.

I haven't seen Plitzuweit's contract-usually it shows up in Board of Regents materials.
I believe incentives put it close to $1M per season, but I can't find where I saw that number.

Cutting Men's Indoor Track was not an expense issue. It involves a Title IX issue. They would have to add a woman's team in order to reinstate men's indoor track. The men's track team already has men on scholarship and they already have the coaches, so the cost to reinstate would be minimal, but the U. would have to add an equal number of women's scholarship. Scholarships are counted separately for indoor and outdoor track. The distance runners, who run cross country, can be counted three times. I would like to see indoor track added for men.
That may have been the stated reason, but it is complete and total BS.

Look around the Big Ten at the number of varsity teams sponsored at some schools and how they are in compliance.

Other than NW, which has no track at all, and Maryland which has no mens indoor or XC, every other school has indoor and outdoor for both mens and womens.

When the cut was made (originally outdoor and indoor), track families were told point blank by Coyle that it was an expense issue. They had also recently fund-raised from the track community for the new outdoor track, which led them to reinstate outdoor after the U’s total bad faith was highlighted. After outdoor track was restored, and Coyle was told of the fundraising pledges to restore indoor, only then did Coyle play the Title Nine card, which was and is bullshit. Every other historic Big Ten school except NW has an indoor track team, including the hockey schools. No reason the U shouldn’t.

When the cut was made (originally outdoor and indoor), track families were told point blank by Coyle that it was an expense issue. They had also recently fund-raised from the track community for the new outdoor track, which led them to reinstate outdoor after the U’s total bad faith was highlighted. After outdoor track was restored, and Coyle was told of the fundraising pledges to restore indoor, only then did Coyle play the Title Nine card, which was and is bullshit. Every other historic Big Ten school except NW has an indoor track team, including the hockey schools. No reason the U shouldn’t.
They had to build a new track anyway, right?? The athletes village was built on top of the old track.

What would the womens team have done without one?? Gone over to St Thomas??

Top Bottom