Dawn Plitzuweit Named New Gopher Head Coach!

Thanks for asking. My personal philosophy on coaching hires is that you should never settle for anyone who you don't think has the potential to be a hall-of-famer. This is a hire I would have made based on that philosophy.

There are never any guarantees about the future, but her resume kicks complete ass over Borton's resume coming in, so it's perfectly realistic to expect that she'll be a superior coach and program builder. If the hope is not Sweet Sixteens, national title contention, and retirement from this position--as opposed to a firing, which was Borton's departure--when making a hire like this, then you're hiring the wrong person.

I will be very surprised if history does not eventually bear this out.

I'd actually like to see you on a search committee...or any committee...just to see what that's like. 😂
Ah, so now you're talking about the resume at the time of hire, which is not what you said originally. How heavy are those goal posts? Had you said what you meant, I would've agreed and had no quibble. Yes, on paper, she's probably the best hire (not coach) that the women's basketball team has ever had, though to be fair that is an easy mountain to climb.

Your original quote: "She will be our best coach since Oldfield." I missed the word "hire" in that statement. I look forward to Plitzuweit staying at least a dozen years, advancing to the Sweet Sixteen and beyond at least 3 times, and winning 100+ games in the Big Ten.

I'm a fan of both USD (undergrad) and UofM (grad school), and follow WBB pretty closely. Thought I would share a few things:
- She will win over the fanbase pretty quickly. Her focus on following a program that gives the players a successful future (when basketball is over) will be obvious pretty quick. It is really impressive to watch the players talk about the program/experience.
- For those wondering if she will jump quickly, Minnesota and Michigan were the only jobs that Coyote fans were nervous about. She has recruited MN/WI/IA very well, and by the time she left USD fans expected to win recruiting battles against the Gophers, ISU, WI, Nebraska, etc. Part of that is the culture, part was on-court success.
- One things that won't grab headlines is the ability to attract and retain players that typically sit at the end of the bench. Players that now go to UxD/xDSU will stay in MN. (Though St. Thomas may become a thorn in the area's side for recruiting)
- Expect defense to be much more physical, and good offensive players won't see the floor without a complete buy-in on more physical D.
- The offense is a true "positionless" system, which does require a different type of player. Everyone on the floor needs to be able to dribble, shoot, and pass or else the process gets bogged down.
- It will take a while to get the pronunciation right, so I will help you out. It is pronounced "Coach P". You may never learn how to spell it.
- He may retire from basketball, he may play another year, or he may transfer to Minnesota, but her son AJ could be an asset to the Gophers MBB team. He had a gruesome injury 2 seasons ago, and isn't fully recovered, but he and Max Absmas were shot-for-shot peers until the injury.

My take - this will change the trajectory of the program. It will be a source of pride in town soon.
Thank you for the insight gopheryote!

I don’t follow women’s college basketball as closely as men’s, but I’m a little surprised there isn’t more excitement about the hire. She has a proven track record and she is poached from another P5 program after a successful season.

The resume really checks out. Am I missing something?
I don’t follow it closely either but do check in on it occasionally.

From what I can tell we have the prerequisite take from Gopher fans worrying about the coach leaving even before they have coached a game here.

Might have something to do with the lack of excitement? 🤷‍♂️

Any chance we can pass the hat to get Tessa Johnson of STMA to back out of her SC commitment. I know national champions, big NIL. I can dig in couch cushions, piggy banks, old savings accounts and hiding places and come up with some money. I'm in for it, but not likely enough to change her mind. It would be Pizza party and birthday level cash adding up the coins. I got an old car she can have, high miles but runs well. That kid Johnsom is one helluva a player, and would fit the new coaches system perfectly. To bad South Carolina is so elite.

Last edited:

Ah, so now you're talking about the resume at the time of hire, which is not what you said originally. How heavy are those goal posts? Had you said what you meant, I would've agreed and had no quibble. Yes, on paper, she's probably the best hire (not coach) that the women's basketball team has ever had, though to be fair that is an easy mountain to climb.

Your original quote: "She will be our best coach since Oldfield." I missed the word "hire" in that statement. I look forward to Plitzuweit staying at least a dozen years, advancing to the Sweet Sixteen and beyond at least 3 times, and winning 100+ games in the Big Ten.
One of my favorite movies is Easy Rider. Much is made and questioned about the second-to-last scene, when Fonda's character says, "We blew it," and nobody's known what to make of that since. In an interview, I saw Hopper explain that what was meant was a larger commentary on society, that we've squandered our inheritance.

Pam was a capable coach, but in the end, she squandered the considerable inhereitance she assumed. Most people's evaluation of her is that she was a good person to coach an inherited roster but did not have the capability to sustain success and build and rebuild the way a good college coach needs to. Plitzuweit will be at least as good a coach as her and will be a much better program builder.

Dawn Plitzuweit will be the best coach we've had here since Oldfield.

Unlike you, I would not have rehired Pam Borton.

Any chance we can pass the hat to get Tessa Johnson of STMA to back out of her SC commitment. I know national champions, big NIL. I can dig in couch cushions, piggy banks, old savings accounts and hiding places and come up with some money. I'm in for it, but not likely enough to change her mind. It would be Pizza party and birthday level.

This! Or 2024's Olivia Olson committed to Michigan.

Now that the 4 freshman have committed to returning, now we need the incoming recruits to decide to still join the team. I know Kennedy Klick is still coming, have the others announced one way or the other?

Here's the quote from the Strib piece: "It appears all four of former coach Lindsay Whalen's highly-touted 2022 recruiting class of Mara Braun, Mallory Heyer, Nia Holloway and Amaya Battle will return."

I don't think Amaya has announced her return yet.

Pam was a capable coach, but in the end, she squandered the considerable inhereitance she assumed. Most people's evaluation of her is that she was a good person to coach an inherited roster but did not have the capability to sustain success and build and rebuild the way a good college coach needs to. Plitzuweit will be at least as good a coach as her and will be a much better program builder.
So, like I said, a minimum of one Final Four, at least 3 Sweet Sixteens, 100 conference wins and a winning record in the Big Ten. Great times ahead for the Gopher women's basketball program!

It's bizarre to me how you cast aside literally the only human being in school history with a legitimate Final Four appearance. It's a pretty good accomplishment for a "capable" coach.
I thought we were having an honest discussion. You're better than this.

I'm a fan of both USD (undergrad) and UofM (grad school), and follow WBB pretty closely. Thought I would share a few things:
- She will win over the fanbase pretty quickly. Her focus on following a program that gives the players a successful future (when basketball is over) will be obvious pretty quick. It is really impressive to watch the players talk about the program/experience.
- For those wondering if she will jump quickly, Minnesota and Michigan were the only jobs that Coyote fans were nervous about. She has recruited MN/WI/IA very well, and by the time she left USD fans expected to win recruiting battles against the Gophers, ISU, WI, Nebraska, etc. Part of that is the culture, part was on-court success.
- One things that won't grab headlines is the ability to attract and retain players that typically sit at the end of the bench. Players that now go to UxD/xDSU will stay in MN. (Though St. Thomas may become a thorn in the area's side for recruiting)
- Expect defense to be much more physical, and good offensive players won't see the floor without a complete buy-in on more physical D.
- The offense is a true "positionless" system, which does require a different type of player. Everyone on the floor needs to be able to dribble, shoot, and pass or else the process gets bogged down.
- It will take a while to get the pronunciation right, so I will help you out. It is pronounced "Coach P". You may never learn how to spell it.
- He may retire from basketball, he may play another year, or he may transfer to Minnesota, but her son AJ could be an asset to the Gophers MBB team. He had a gruesome injury 2 seasons ago, and isn't fully recovered, but he and Max Absmas were shot-for-shot peers until the injury.

My take - this will change the trajectory of the program. It will be a source of pride in town soon.

Great post! Thank you.

Go Gophers!!

Coach P. Why didn't I think of that?!? Been practicing her name all morning. 😁

One of my favorite movies is Easy Rider. Much is made and questioned about the second-to-last scene, when Fonda's character says, "We blew it," and nobody's known what to make of that since. In an interview, I saw Hopper explain that what was meant was a larger commentary on society, that we've squandered our inheritance.

This.

So, like I said, a minimum of one Final Four, at least 3 Sweet Sixteens, 100 conference wins and a winning record in the Big Ten. Great times ahead for the Gopher women's basketball program!

It's bizarre to me how you cast aside literally the only human being in school history with a legitimate Final Four appearance. It's a pretty good accomplishment for a "capable" coach.

I thought we were having an honest discussion. You're better than this.
Oh, and Damian Johnson is a better head coach than Ben Johnson. 🤣

I know nothing about WV. I would like to see her grab Grace Larkin at USD who she would have recruited. I would also like her to got get Hottinger. Those are my first 2 requests haha

Saw on another board that she took her entire coaching staff with her from South Dakota to WVU. Assuming she brings them all with her to Minnesota the entire staff will be familiar with the area, not just the head coach. They can just pick up where they left off in 2022, no "get acquainted" with the region or HS and AAU peeps required. :)

Saw on another board that she took her entire coaching staff with her from South Dakota to WVU. Assuming she brings them all with her to Minnesota the entire staff will be familiar with the area, not just the head coach. They can just pick up where they left off in 2022, no "get acquainted" with the region or HS and AAU peeps required. :)
I was a big fan of Braker when she played for the Irish

Big advantage out of the gate. Also says something about her that she has a staff who want to follow her.

Much as I loved Whalen, I am deeply glad to have a coach with a good track record. Here's to brighter days!
I will always have great respect and admiration for coach Whalen. Her staff tried hard. She showed us as a player you can do great things at Minnesota. I'm thankful they hired a successful coach. Hoping Coach P can build on what the previous staff started.

"But over the four seasons between 2009 and 2013, as attendance continued to decrease, the Gophers went a combined 62-66, with just one WNIT appearance and one entry in the WBI tournament, which they won in 2012.

Behind Big Ten scoring leader Rachel Banham, the Gophers were a little better this season, finishing 8-8 in conference play. But they went 0-8 against the top five teams in the Big Ten, keeping them out of the NCAA tournament again and essentially sealing Borton's fate."

I know nothing about WV. I would like to see her grab Grace Larkin at USD who she would have recruited. I would also like her to got get Hottinger. Those are my first 2 requests haha
I replied about Larkin. Now replying about Hottinger.

Hottinger used film to help implement new additions to her game. She said doing so allowed her to get a better grasp of her play, which made it feel slower compared to earlier seasons.

Her extra dedication has shown itself on the court by averaging 20 points per game this season, earning the Patriot League Player of the Year award.

One of Hottinger’s strengths is her ability to score from all parts of the court. She has made 33 3-point shots this year, leading all of the team’s forwards and setting a personal career high.

“I’m continuing to work on the mid-range and the 3-point shot, and I want to be a matchup issue for every team,” Hottinger said.

Hottinger said she has developed a keen eye for improvement from balancing her game, which has allowed her to convert more shots from under the basket.

Her leaving WV after 1 year is questionable, Gopher fans would not be happy to have a coach jump ship after 1 year, but I am willing to give her a shot. She did a great job at USD and WV this season. An established coach like her should hopefully be able to keep Battle.
Just ask us about Brenda Freese. However, Maryland seemed to be the right fit for her since she has been there 15+ years. Maybe this will be the right fit and she will do well. She has been pretty successful as a coach and that is what I was looking for. This inexperience run Coyle has been on is a bit amateurish. I hope that part of him is over.

Is Minnesota theming the upcoming season "The New Dawn" though who the old Dawn is, I'm not sure? Dawn Staley?

I wonder how she’ll get Borowicz and Battle to stop all their turnovers

I wonder how she’ll get Borowicz and Battle to stop all their turnovers
She will sit them on the bench when they turn the ball over, and probably bring in a veteran guard or two to run the show. Plitzuweit is a very good coach. The players will finally learn proper defense and learn an offense with motion (versus predictable sets). She will need to get a few players from the portal that fit her style of play, but this team will get on the right track after 5 years of 'amateur hour'.

Top Bottom