Dawn Plitzuweit Named New Gopher Head Coach!

IF true this hire doesn't really do much for me...

1. a HUUUGE buyout will need to be paid out.. as she had 4 years left on her WV
2. wanted someone with P5 experience ( Dawn has ONE year)
3. Sumitt League and B1G totally different..
4. wanted a YOUNGER coach would could be here for a long time.. (Duffy)
5.. Will Dawn jump ship if a BIGGER team comes a calling?

hope she can prove me wrong.. but this just feels like meh.. Dawn was the HOT name last year and she jumped to WV.. and now jumping ship again.. worries me..

hope she can prove me wrong.. but this just feels like meh.. Dawn was the HOT name last year and she jumped to WV.. and now jumping ship again.. worries me..
Is the Gopher job considered a BIGGER job than the WV job?

Are you paying it? No? Why do you care?
One year of P5 experience is P5 experience.
Good thing we're not hiring a Sumitt [sic] League coach.
She's 50. She could easily coach another 20-25 years if she wants to.
Having a coach desired by other teams is literally the best possible position to be in.

I meant if she is hired here...

say a BIGGER name offers her after a season end.. does she leave? who knows.. that's what I meant..
She’s from West Bend, WI. I would be surprised if she bailed from the area. She played D2 ball at Mich Tech. She’s really not beholden to a D1 school per say. Maybe Wisconsin because she grew up there but she didn’t play for them.

say a BIGGER name offers her after a season end.. does she leave? who knows.. that's what I meant..
I get that. My point is if she comes to Minnesota it’s not because this job is bigger it might because this is where she wants to be…the buyout money who cares…Gophers have lost to NDSU and Drake twice the last three years… so the small conference coaches can coach..age she is 50 one year at a time least of my concerns …

Are you paying it? No? Why do you care?

One year of P5 experience is P5 experience.

Good thing we're not hiring a Sumitt [sic] League coach.

She's 50. She could easily coach another 20-25 years if she wants to.

Having a coach desired by other teams is literally the best possible position to be in.
Could not of said it better myself

Why does the buyout matter to you?

Her leaving WV after 1 year is questionable, Gopher fans would not be happy to have a coach jump ship after 1 year, but I am willing to give her a shot. She did a great job at USD and WV this season. An established coach like her should hopefully be able to keep Battle.

"but I am willing to give her a shot." Boy I bet that made her day.

Ok , let not hire a qualified candidate who may leave for another job. Better yet, lets worry about it, dwell on it, and fill gopherhole with it. The worst of Minnesotan's traits...Thanks Lou Holtz.

Excellent hire. I'm an SDSU Jackrabbit fan and have watched Dawn P give us fits not only on the court but in recruiting too. In her relatively short tenure at South Dakota, Dawn took her team to a WNIT title and NCAA Sweet Sixteen. Gopher fans will like her team's style of play -- aggressive defense and fast offense.

after the initial tweets, everyone is couching this as "she has emerged as the leading candidate."

but unless the initial tweets were a scam, there appears to be steam behind this.

I have a friend who is a Yuge USD fan, and his brother lives in Vermillion. He was really excited about the news. Says she is really well-liked.

Nadine Babu tweeted out that she is getting a lot of text messages from people who really like the idea.

"but I am willing to give her a shot." Boy I bet that made her day.
like I said, her leaving WV after 1 year is questionable but I am 100% a gopher fan and if she is our coach, I am behind her. Just like I was behind Whalen, and Stollings before.

Her leaving WV after 1 year is questionable, Gopher fans would not be happy to have a coach jump ship after 1 year, but I am willing to give her a shot. She did a great job at USD and WV this season. An established coach like her should hopefully be able to keep Battle.
I agree but that’s D 1 sports.

Of course this is a home run hire. Lindsay had no business being a head coach. Time to right the ship.

If only Gopher fans had a frame of reference for a coach leaving after a year...

Feeling a bit underwhelmed. I was pulling for Duffy, I guess I was hoping for a big splash hire, maybe this is it but was hoping for someone with P 5 conference experience.
Since when isn’t West Virginia a P5 school?

Per SI rankings they are -

Big Ten is so hard to climb.

Wonder if Kyah Watson will follow her here too?

Excellent hire. I'm an SDSU Jackrabbit fan and have watched Dawn P give us fits not only on the court but in recruiting too. In her relatively short tenure at South Dakota, Dawn took her team to a WNIT title and NCAA Sweet Sixteen. Gopher fans will like her team's style of play -- aggressive defense and fast offense.

I like this here. It seems to have authority to it. I have no way to know about her other than the official positive spin bio.

The team needs someone who can coach well. I don't care who, just that.

The cost makes this a surprising deal, that's all.

UPDATE: That updated buyout amount of $360,000 or close is not much to pay. Someone before was saying something like almost a million. A $300,000-something buyout spread over four years is not much.

I get that. My point is if she comes to Minnesota it’s not because this job is bigger it might because this is where she wants to be…the buyout money who cares…Gophers have lost to NDSU and Drake twice the last three years… so the small conference coaches can coach..age she is 50 one year at a time least of my concerns …
And USD and SDSU have winning streaks against the Gophers. People probably shouldn't be bagging on Summit League coaches.

Top Bottom