Davis for OC?

gophmeister

Reaction score
Is it the logical choice to promote Davis? I know he's currently the run game coordinator, but can he run the whole shebang? How deeply involved was he with scheming, game planning and play calling? I wouldn't be opposed to the move, but would like to hear some definitive reasons why it would be a wise move.

I like Davis, but has he ever called plays before? I suppose Fisch hadn't either before last year. Would he keep his O-line duties? If so, would he be pulled in too many directions? That O-line still needs a ton of help.

I hate the titles without accountability. And when you get into semantics about run game coordinator and offensive coordinator it begs the quesion who makes up the game plan? Who has final authority on play calls? And more importantly it is ripe with finger pointing. Whatever happens we need one offensive coordinator and one offensive line coach. Now if you want to pay the O line coach more fine. It seems we have attracted these guys with titles.

Pretty sure we already have an offensive coordinator by the name of Jedd Fisch. Are the two of you in charge of hiring a new one?

Tom Dienhart, yahoosports.com/rivals.com college columnist/reporter also now saying Fisch on his way back to the NFL ... now, he could be wrong, but I know for a fact Dienhart has great sources ... he just sent out a tweet.

Dienhart tweets again ... this one a minute later ... It isn't a done deal for Fisch leaving, but it could happen. Stay tuned. So he is building in some cushion ... I guess I'll stay tuned.

Brewster mentioned yesterday that if Fisch left the offensive scheme, terminology etc. would remain the same. I'm guessing that if Fisch does leave that Davis would be named OC the same day.

Brewster mentioned yesterday that if Fisch left the offensive scheme, terminology etc. would remain the same. I'm guessing that if Fisch does leave that Davis would be named OC the same day.

That's a smart call by Brewster. That will make it easier for the players and will help build an offensive identity at Minnesota. If we get a new offensive coordinator, he will certainly bring his own flavor, but the basic scheme will remain the same.

Big Tim Davis

I think TD could handle the OC position, but what do I know.

The case:

The most important thing for this program right now is continuity and TD as the OC would provide just that. He's been around the game long enough and it wouldn't surprise me if he could handle the play-calling duties. The O-Line SHOULD be a position of strength next year with all the returning and incoming talent. To top things off, nobody would know better what the strengths and weaknesses of the Line and the offense are at this point.

At the end of the day, I think a new OC, regardless of how experienced and how much he would stay with the system in place, would spell the end of Brewster. There's just no getting around that. No team or program can continually stand changes in offensive philosophy every couple of years. I think ditching the spread was probably the right thing to do for the long term best interest of the program. However, there's not a doubt in my mind that this team would have been somewhere around 9-3 if they had not overhauled the offense and ditched Dunbar and we wouldn't be having ANY of these discussions. Might as well have been trying to teach those guys to speak Italian this year, IT JUST TAKES A LOT OF TIME to change offenses. Period.

I'm sure Brewster knows this. Much of a change in offensive strategy and terminology and he is out the door at the end of the season, no matter WHO they brought in for OC. Plain and simple.

Dienhart tweets again ... this one a minute later ... It isn't a done deal for Fisch leaving, but it could happen. Stay tuned. So he is building in some cushion ... I guess I'll stay tuned.

This is all a bad SNL sketch right?

Brewster is the only coach that has his butt on the line. Minnesota is and will continue to be a passing through place for coaches. It fact it will get worse if Brewster officially becomes a failure. The TFC "Holy Grail" for Minnesota Football is a fallacy. We had better hope (and support) the coaching staff has a winning season next year. It makes a lot more sense to support what we have than it does to hope to start all over again and again because that is truly hopeless. I have no doubt that Brewster was the best we could get and probably still is. We need to to identify and zupport a media outlet that is less negative than we have. There are great stories to be told bout the program, many of them personal stories and I for one would like to start hearing them instead of the constant gloom and doom that Minnesotans so love. The U's sports media effort is flat out terrible. About about some positive promotion from the U itself? Contact Maturi today!

I would think that those fans among us that aren't quitters and losers should put some pressure on Maturi to get the good news out there. The Goal Line Club hasn't posted ANY Gopher News since the bowl game. Pathetic.

The local media isn't going to do it. Let's start making something happen. Make your voice (and $$$) heard, be a positive for the program. Go Gophers!

If Fisch leaves, and Davis is promoted, I'd like for them to bring Chris Meidt on staff in some capacity. He is a local guy, would hopefully be interested in getting back to MN (after being with Zorn and the Redskins), and I believe all of his family is here. Have Davis be the OC and Meidt be the QB coach? That could be a good fit, right?

I always got the impression that maybe Davis was one of those guys that likes the trenches and maybe isn't looking to move into a coordinator spot. We always assume they all are, but that's not always the case.

Schnoodler is correct. Davis has said in the past he doesn't want to be an OC.

If Fisch leaves, and Davis is promoted, I'd like for them to bring Chris Meidt on staff in some capacity. He is a local guy, would hopefully be interested in getting back to MN (after being with Zorn and the Redskins), and I believe all of his family is here. Have Davis be the OC and Meidt be the QB coach? That could be a good fit, right?

Agree 100%. Meidt would be a good choice for a higher-up position on the offensive staff. Zorn also has a history of coaching at the U of M, serving as QB coach in 1995 and 1996. Either one would be fine by me if Fisch decides to move.

Continuity is going to be the key here and Brewster is going to need to put his foot down and insist that the basic framework and terminology remain in place if Fisch goes back to the NFL.

If Zorn wanted in, I'd take him if his scheme meshes with the old.

Agree 100%. Meidt would be a good choice for a higher-up position on the offensive staff. Zorn also has a history of coaching at the U of M, serving as QB coach in 1995 and 1996. Either one would be fine by me if Fisch decides to move.

Continuity is going to be the key here and Brewster is going to need to put his foot down and insist that the basic framework and terminology remain in place if Fisch goes back to the NFL.

That's a great call - Zorn as OC and Meidt as QBs coach? I'd be pumped about that.

Here is Zorn's Wiki:

Zorn

Question is; what are his aspirations. I'm tired of being a stepping stone.

Here is Zorn's Wiki:

Zorn

Question is; what are his aspirations. I'm tired of being a stepping stone.

It would be hard to believe that Zorn would have any head coaching aspirations if he took a college OC position.

Example Mike Tice, who I believe just took a OL coaching position with the Bears. Never EVER going to be a head coach again. It's like taking a step backwards to go forwards.

That's a great call - Zorn as OC and Meidt as QBs coach? I'd be pumped about that.

Zorn= no chance. He doesn't have a degree. I don't know if you guys remember but it was a big thing when he worked for Wacker. I believe it's now university policy.

Didn't know Zorn was sans degree and if that's the case, he won't be working for us I guess.

As for his aspirations, I think him being a head coach again in the NFL is probably a longshot. He may want to be a coordinator in the NFL again though and I'd hate to see a guy coming in ala Fisch just to move on again in a year or two.

I think keeping Davis is huge. Seantrel Henderson has continued to maintain that his relationship with his position coach is a key component to his decision.

Top Bottom