David Shama says U's lack of facilities could lead to us being forced out of Big Ten

I believe the powers that be at the U would love nothing more than to be forced out of the B1G plus 4. So they can push their anti sport agenda

I think you're right. The football side of the house, said we have a more favorable group in the Board of Regents. I've heard the new President supports our revenue sports. I think Norwood is an upgrade, although I was never anti-Maturi. I was just starting to hope things were going in our favor.

Minnesota is a charter member of the conference, I don't think any charter member can be kicked out, I think they can choose to leave but not forced out. I think the conference would have to be disbanded and recreated to accomplish that, there is alot more to the conference than Football and Basketball.

Maybe I am pessimistic, but with the wholesale changes that have happened in college athletics, the dismantling and raiding of conferences, the overwhelming emphasis on money, I would ignore history. What people thought was impossible just 5-10 years ago looks possible now. Who knows what could happen in 10 years. If I told someone 10 years ago that Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers were going to join the Big Ten, they probably would have laughed in my face.

per Shama:

There might come a time when the Big Ten decides schools that aren’t investing in their athletic programs are also not worthy of membership in the historic conference. “I think that’s a possibility,” Mark Sheffert told Sports Headliners.

“There was a report a couple of years ago that showed Minnesota was second to last (in the Big Ten) in re-investing (in facilities),” Sheffert said. “Purdue was last. We were also second to last in donations to the athletic department.”

That’s the kind of stuff that one day might lead to head scratching in the Big Ten office in Chicago about Minnesota’s future.

“We continue to fall behind…teams that are competitive,” Sheffert said. “We have to start with the idea that football, basketball and hockey are the entertainment business. They are (played by) student athletes and we owe it to them to provide the best facilities (for academics and athletics) that we can. We are at a competitive disadvantage when recruiting the best players in the country.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

David Shama says U's lack of facilities could lead to us being forced out of Big Ten

Not going to read this garbage, but at first glance shouldn't your title read Shama reports or Sheffert says?

Not going to read this garbage, but at first glance shouldn't your title read Shama reports or Sheffert says?

That was my point. And if people actually read the article they would realize this and not rip Shama for 'fear mongering'.

That was my point. And if people actually read the article they would realize this and not rip Shama for 'fear mongering'.

I didn't scroll down to the part of the thread where you are in a good old GH pissing match. The title Bleed chose for the thread is misleading.

I don't need to read further because the Gophers are not going to get kicked out of the B1G.

I didn't scroll down to the part of the thread where you are in a good old GH pissing match. The title Bleed chose for the thread is misleading.

I don't need to read further because the Gophers are not going to get kicked out of the B1G.

The crux of the article is how far we are we are behind in facilities compared to other schools.

A few questions.

Who interviewed Mr. Sheffert? Who failed to determine if what Mr. Sheffert said is true? Who decided to run Mr. Sheffert's quotes?

Finally, would you consider the article to be an example of good journalism, mediocre journalism, or bad journalism?

A few questions.

Who interviewed Mr. Sheffert? Who failed to determine if what Mr. Sheffert said is true? Who decided to run Mr. Sheffert's quotes?

Finally, would you consider the article to be an example of good journalism, mediocre journalism, or bad journalism?

You seem to be off on one of your tangents again.

You seem to be off on one of your tangents again.

No tangents. They are simple questions relevant to the article and thread that don't require much effort to answer. Please, take a minute or two to answer them.

Top Bottom