David Cobbs

SDGopherFan

Reaction score
Looks like another 2011 prospect coming in for a visit. 3* running back that has not yet signed yet from Tx.

Kill said he is still looking for 1 or 2 DBs and an OLB. Is this the OLB? Finding the athletes and molding them into football players at different positions....

From what I interpreted I do not think we were looking to sign a RB

Kill said he is still looking for 1 or 2 DBs and an OLB. Is this the OLB? Finding the athletes and molding them into football players at different positions....

From what I interpreted I do not think we were looking to sign a RB

Pretty doubtful he would be a linebacker since he is only 5'11, which probably is really 5'10. That would be awfully short for a linebacker. Maybe a db or actually a rb.

I'm guessing he was hoping to attend Stanford but didn't qualify for admission for whatever reason. This assumption is based solely on the fact that it appears Stanford was his only BCS offer and that he remains unsigned.

He Lacks Credentials

I wonder why he hasn't signed anywhere yet? He looks to have some talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J4edDLn03c

It must because he is not very smart and lacks character. If you want to know how I know that, it is because he has offers from Army and Stanford. Besides, he is not that good of a linebacker.

(Actually mkAz's question is a very good one. I too am puzzled by this after looking at his offers.)

I'm guessing he was hoping to attend Stanford but didn't qualify for admission for whatever reason. This assumption is based solely on the fact that it appears Stanford was his only BCS offer and that he remains unsigned.

If your assumption is correct, I am little surprise about his offer from Army. My son got an offer (appointment from a U.S. Senator) for the Air Force Academy after they had done their initial evaluation/check. There were still a few additional things that had to be completed before his final acceptance. Therefore, to get that far the kid must have being doing some things right.

It must because he is not very smart and lacks character. If you want to know how I know that, it is because he has offers from Army and Stanford. Besides, he is not that good of a linebacker.

(Actually mkAz's question is a very good one. I too am puzzled by this after looking at his offers.)

Stanford may have pulled his offer when they changed coaches or ran out of scholarships...or he didn't get the test score he needed...thousand possibilities...only thing that matters to me is if Coach likes him...I'm good with that...sign on up and lets get to work!

My guess is that the Stanford offer probably dried up. The signed two 4 star RBs and 5 DBs in their class.

I'm not saying he's a bad student or anything of that nature. Stanford is an elite school and there are kids that good students that don't get accepted.

My statement was purely speculation as to why he is still out there. Its very plausible that he gets accepted into 95% of schools nationally but Stanford is in that elite 5% and now he is holding out for another BCS offer.

Maybe red shirt him and beef him up into a full back?
"Cobb is a strong, downhill running back with good production. Not a whole lot of flash to his game but he displays every-down qualities when projecting for the next level. Has a large, well-built frame with good overall body structure. Quick to the hole and to square up his shoulders. Shows more-than-adequate quickness to daylight. A good one-cut-and-go downhill runner who flashes above average burst through the second level. Not real shifty but can redirect sharply out of his cuts while keeping good downhill momentum. A very study and solid runner who can power through high arm-tackles and first contact despite running high. When he gets his knees pumping he can absorb the lower-body blow and pull through; a load for smaller defensive backs to come up and tackle. The type of back who gets stronger with carries and can wear down a defense as the game goes on. While he can rip off the occasional long run at the high school level we do question his long speed and ability to separate versus faster college defensive backs. Lacks an extra gear when he gets outside on perimeter runs and would like to see better overall explosiveness in the second level; we see more of a downhill grinder who will earn most of his yards in college between the tackles. May be limited to that type of scheme as well; an %u201CI” formation back as opposed to a one-back, pick-and-slide zone type of runner. With need to run more behind his pads and avoid getting upright in his cuts to remain productive and durable. Overall, Cobb looks to have the physical tools needed to develop into a load-back at the next level; needs some polish but an underrated back at this time.
"
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/recruit?id=105400

"Killeen (TX) Ellison running back David Cobb will have to put his national signing day plans on hold for the meantime. The 5-foot-11, 205-pound prospect was supposed to take official visits to Memphis and Stanford these past two weekends, but the combination of new coaching staffs and signing day approaching, things were postponed.
"
Scout In article
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=7...RL=http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1044901.html

Maybe red shirt him and beef him up into a full back?
"Cobb is a strong, downhill running back with good production. Not a whole lot of flash to his game but he displays every-down qualities when projecting for the next level. Has a large, well-built frame with good overall body structure. Quick to the hole and to square up his shoulders. Shows more-than-adequate quickness to daylight. A good one-cut-and-go downhill runner who flashes above average burst through the second level. Not real shifty but can redirect sharply out of his cuts while keeping good downhill momentum. A very study and solid runner who can power through high arm-tackles and first contact despite running high. When he gets his knees pumping he can absorb the lower-body blow and pull through; a load for smaller defensive backs to come up and tackle. The type of back who gets stronger with carries and can wear down a defense as the game goes on. While he can rip off the occasional long run at the high school level we do question his long speed and ability to separate versus faster college defensive backs. Lacks an extra gear when he gets outside on perimeter runs and would like to see better overall explosiveness in the second level; we see more of a downhill grinder who will earn most of his yards in college between the tackles. May be limited to that type of scheme as well; an %u201CI” formation back as opposed to a one-back, pick-and-slide zone type of runner. With need to run more behind his pads and avoid getting upright in his cuts to remain productive and durable. Overall, Cobb looks to have the physical tools needed to develop into a load-back at the next level; needs some polish but an underrated back at this time.
"
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/recruit?id=105400

I would be pretty surprised by that. I think it makes more sense to think of our H-Back position more like a TE than a FB. I don't think you'll see a ton of beefed up RBs playing at that position for Kill, rather you will see our more athletic TEs (probably a bit smaller). For instance, Northern Illinois didn't have 1 carry by their H-Back's last season.

It sounds as though he is doesn't know if he wants to play football at the next level.

I think he would be a good addition, Killeen HS, turns out a good number of D1 prospects a year. Looking at his size and speed I wonder if he would fit as a strong safety?

He looks like a load, and brings it. We haven't had a big, physical back like that in a while.

The only reason why Killeen really exists is because of Fort Hood. Nothing but pawn shops, liquor stores, and military families (which may explain the Army offer). It seems like either really good kids come out of there, or really bad ones.

Rule #21 of the Cool Football Names Stature states that anyone with the last name Cobb should make a decent running back. So it is written, so shall it be.

He looks like a load, and brings it. We haven't had a big, physical back like that in a while.

I think you'll see one next year in Lamonte Edwards. Saw him play throughout Jr. and Sr. High and the guy runs angry! Strong as a bull and has good speed but also enjoys running someone over when need be. Have also seen him put numerous blitzing linebackers on their backs when picking up the blitz. Most linebackers are not used to getting hit by a running back that hits like he does. Started last year's camp with an ankle issue that was likely the reason for the redshirt. Hopefully that problem is behind him and things are fine now. I expect that he will be the big physical back that you are looking for.

I think you'll see one next year in Lamonte Edwards. Saw him play throughout Jr. and Sr. High and the guy runs angry! Strong as a bull and has good speed but also enjoys running someone over when need be. Have also seen him put numerous blitzing linebackers on their backs when picking up the blitz. Most linebackers are not used to getting hit by a running back that hits like he does. Started last year's camp with an ankle issue that was likely the reason for the redshirt. Hopefully that problem is behind him and things are fine now. I expect that he will be the big physical back that you are looking for.

I keep forgetting about Edwards, but again, that's because we haven't seen him. Cobb runs like a bigger version of Barber (Barber was no burner, but maybe was a half step quicker than Cobb). My hope for Edwards is that he runs a little lower than he appeared to in high school (Cobb is a little high as well), not for fear that he'll take more punishment, but more so to dish even more of it out.

Missing the obvious

I whined on signing day I was surprised we didn't add to our running backs. Coach Kill apologized and promised he'd try to fix it for me. He said Jones would get a look on offense. He signed the California kid this weekend and now he's chasing Cobb.

What should I ask for next? Getting Wedley back might be too hard?

But On a serious note: Is our linebacker depth suspect? We recruited three. We have a bunch now don't we? I count 17 (seventeen) line backers on the roster. 18 is better? I know three typically play so 6 "teams" of linebackers? Mom, mom I got moved up to fifth team weakside linebacker. I mean wow. I know linebackers play special teams too but not 18 of em.

Jerry? Call me on that ok? I mean is that how everybody does it? 18 linebackers?

Wow, I am impressed with his video, he might not have great speed, but he's a rb. I hope he signs with us and we keep him at rb. He has vision, balance, size, cutting ability, and strength all impress me. His speed is more than adequate. Also makes a few plays catching the ball in that highlight video.

I too am somewhat reminded of a younger version of Marian Barber III and hope he chooses to sign with us this year as well. I am starting to get really excited about our RB department and am beginning to think that two years from now we will be spoiled with a nice stable of them ready to go! Keep bringin' in the good Jerry!

I whined on signing day I was surprised we didn't add to our running backs. Coach Kill apologized and promised he'd try to fix it for me. He said Jones would get a look on offense. He signed the California kid this weekend and now he's chasing Cobb.

What should I ask for next? Getting Wedley back might be too hard?

But On a serious note: Is our linebacker depth suspect? We recruited three. We have a bunch now don't we? I count 17 (seventeen) line backers on the roster. 18 is better? I know three typically play so 6 "teams" of linebackers? Mom, mom I got moved up to fifth team weakside linebacker. I mean wow. I know linebackers play special teams too but not 18 of em.

Jerry? Call me on that ok? I mean is that how everybody does it? 18 linebackers?

I think we only have 11 on scholarships and we could easily see a few of them switch positions.
Westerhaus might play offense. I wouldn't be shocked to see Mitchell make a move to DE (he was noted as a pass rusher). I could even see them consider Grant for H-Back (might be a bold move).

Top Bottom