Dave Telep leaving Scout for ESPN

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet:

"Been a great run at Scout.com. After nearly a decade w/the company, I'm on the move. Excited to announce that this week I signed w/ESPN"

Go Gophers!!

per this tweet:

"Been a great run at Scout.com. After nearly a decade w/the company, I'm on the move. Excited to announce that this week I signed w/ESPN"

Go Gophers!!

Scout (and Rivals for that matter) are fading as the bigger $$$ (like ESPN) gets into recruiting.

Never mind, it's not worth the time.

In terms of part one, congrats to Mr. Telep!

This might change things a bit, but as of now Rivals and Scout are still light-years ahead of ESPN IMO. Yahoo bought Rivals for $100 million (granted that wasn't only for the basketball recruiting part), so I think plenty of money has gone into that site as well.

This might change things a bit, but as of now Rivals and Scout are still light-years ahead of ESPN IMO. Yahoo bought Rivals for $100 million (granted that wasn't only for the basketball recruiting part), so I think plenty of money has gone into that site as well.

Well why do you think Rivals and Scout are "still light-years" ahead? Guys like Telep moving over to ESPN so it will change things quite a bit. These sites are dependent upon who writes for the sites. Guarantee with ESPN increasing their recruiting staff and their obvious committment to sports they will be the dominant source within 2 years. Much like the rest of the world the boutiques get eaten up by the big boys. We'll be left with few choices in terms of scouting services but it's redudant coverage anyway for the most part.

Besides Yahoo buying Rivals is like Rupert Murdoch buying a local news outlet. It's not their expertise nor was there any synergy to the purchase. They simply bought their way in. ESPN's committment is to sports and to the money generated by such.

They're light-years ahead of ESPN until Telep makes an imapct there, which he hasn't had time to do yet. Like I said, him being there now will likely change things a bit though. I've never had much respect for ESPNs rankings, one big reason being that they put John Wall at number 5 overall when Rivals said he was the clear-cut number one and Scout at least put him at number two (which Telep has admitted was a mistake and he needs to learn from it). I think we all know how good Wall has turned out to be.

Every scouting service is going to make mistakes here and there, but I personally prefer Rivals over both Scout and ESPN.

Espn is the man, you can see most of it w/o insider, almost all of it now actually. And they recognized Joe coleman as someone worth ranking a 4 star. stupid scout/rivals tools.

They're light-years ahead of ESPN until Telep makes an imapct there, which he hasn't had time to do yet. Like I said, him being there now will likely change things a bit though. I've never had much respect for ESPNs rankings, one big reason being that they put John Wall at number 5 overall when Rivals said he was the clear-cut number one and Scout at least put him at number two (which Telep has admitted was a mistake and he needs to learn from it). I think we all know how good Wall has turned out to be.

Every scouting service is going to make mistakes here and there, but I personally prefer Rivals over both Scout and ESPN.

Go back to 2008 (I don't even know where to start with how lousy this pick was), 2007 (Beasley over Rose, Mayo etc) , 2006(Oden over Durant), 2005 (Gerald Green). Maybe ESPN missed in ranking Wall at the top of their scale but if you'll notice he received the top grade. I think it is why ESPN has the stronger solution. Picking a guy number 1? Pretty impossible. Giving him a grade and then explainiing what that grade will proportedly mean, is more valuable.

Go back to 2008 (I don't even know where to start with how lousy this pick was), 2007 (Beasley over Rose, Mayo etc) , 2006(Oden over Durant), 2005 (Gerald Green). Maybe ESPN missed in ranking Wall at the top of their scale but if you'll notice he received the top grade. I think it is why ESPN has the stronger solution. Picking a guy number 1? Pretty impossible. Giving him a grade and then explainiing what that grade will proportedly mean, is more valuable.

Fair enough.

Top Bottom