Dave Mona's Importance?

stevedave23

Reaction score
What effect, if any, does Dave Mona have on this coaching search?

Is his role more ceremonial than anything? Or is there any chance his business connections and experience play a factor?

I'd like to think the U is in a better situation having someone with big business experience and a vested interest in the program on their side. Perhaps he could even convince some in the high powered business community to kick in for a buyout or part of new contract??

Wishful thinking??

Yeah, I don't get it. My only hope is that Dave Mona is leaking all of the information to keep everyone on their toes. If they don't hire a big name, then I will be seriously disappointed. I hope that the big shot PR guy can help this sorry football program.

I thought the title said "Dave Mona's Impotence" at first glance. Had to do a double-take.

Good question about Mona. I have yet to see a factual description of what he is supposed to be contributing. My hope is that he is helping to raise big money for buyouts, etc. and also using his PR skills to put on very very slick presentation about the U and the area. The latter might be very important if we are after a big name who has to be pretty much sold before he would even visit the campus.

Good question about Mona. I have yet to see a factual description of what he is supposed to be contributing. My hope is that he is helping to raise big money for buyouts, etc. and also using his PR skills to put on very very slick presentation about the U and the area. The latter might be very important if we are after a big name who has to be pretty much sold before he would even visit the campus.

I think Mona's main role is to raise money to be able to pay the salary a top notch candidate would require. The U can't pay it. If he can focus business and M Club people on coming together to put up the $$ to hire a quality candidate it would accomplish 2 things...raising the money and unifying the effort both now and in the future. So he has to sell this effort and after it's done he has to sell the decision. And of course his PR advice is valuable on a day to day basis...notice how Maturi has not said a thing that gives anything away since the initial press conference? Mona is a key man here in many ways.

I think Mona's main role is to raise money to be able to pay the salary a top notch candidate would require. The U can't pay it. If he can focus business and M Club people on coming together to put up the $$ to hire a quality candidate it would accomplish 2 things...raising the money and unifying the effort both now and in the future. So he has to sell this effort and after it's done he has to sell the decision. And of course his PR advice is valuable on a day to day basis...notice how Maturi has not said a thing that gives anything away since the initial press conference? Mona is a key man here in many ways.

+1

Mona's role is likely multifaceted as you indicate. I wouldn't go so far as to say the U can't pay a top salary though. The money from the BTN and conference championship game goes a long way in that regard. They might have to raise some money for a buyout though and I suspect that's where Mona's fundraising will be most needed.

mona's role became much more important after the strib article today. the U will lose the press conference for sure if they don't hire leach or someone better.

mona's role became much more important after the strib article today. the U will lose the press conference for sure if they don't hire leach or someone better.

Lose the press conference? I thought we were trying to win football games. Based on what we know about the sports press and the average fan in this town, a hire like Mullen will "lose the press conference".

And I'd be ecstatic...

Top Bottom