Dave Mona prediction

station19

Reaction score
Dave Mona just made a prediction on the Sports Huddle that Marquis Gray will be 1st team all Big Ten WR this year. Quite a bold prediction if I say so myself.

There aren't a lot of great receivers in the conference this year, so it is possible. If he has a big game against someone good the hype machine will start working.

There are only two qualifications to me.

1. Does he get enough reps?

2. Does Weber play during the season as sharp as yesterday?

If yes and yes, I can easily All Big Ten.

At 6'5", 235#, I would love to see him haul in about 10 td catches on fade routes and all kinds of size mis-matches against corners, safetys, and line backers. He could present a match-up nightmare for a lot of Big Ten defeses near the goal line. This could be fun to watch if you are a Golden Gopher footall fan! I think there are some incredible possibilities for a lot of td catches for this young man in 2010! But it will take a lot of work. His size makes him almost tight-end and I can't help thinking he could throw some crushing blocks to make way for the running game near the goal line too. There are a lot of ways to impact the outcome of a football game.

Our other receivers are going to be good enough that Ds can not just key on him either. McKnight sets up similar size mismatches (at least for height) plus he has unreal leaping ability. Add in our quick guys and Bennett out of the backfield. If Weber is accurate and the OL is adequate this can be a real fun year.

Could be an early candidate for Preposterous Statement of the Year.

The Gophers need a playmaker. Everyone has always said that Gray has big play capabilities. It is time for him to step up and make big plays. This can be the challenge to take charge of a game. To take a game over, so to speak. So many have said that he has this characteristic. It is time for him to show the world just how much he can do and how many Big Ten games he can be a difference maker in. Go show the people, Mr. Gray. I really do believe that MG may be able to catch himself a break if he uses this athleticism that we forever hear about with him. Good luck! Take charge out there and go up and get those fade-route passes and "jump balls" that can score touchdowns and can help the Gophers win Big Ten games!

Unfortunately I had the same preposterous statement thought pop in my mind.

Not to say that Gray can't be a good WR, but between spending some time at QB, and our commitment (we will see how committed we are if we are behind in a lot of games) to the run, his touches and numbers are likely to be limited.

Plus, on a team that is likely not even to contend for a B10 title, he's going to have to stand out in a way similar to how Eric Decker did to even get consideration against guys who are probably going to have at least similar numbers if not better, on better teams like Devier Posey, Derek Moye, & Nick Toon. There are also guys out there that are going to put up some big numbers like Keith Smith, B.J. Cunningham and Tandon Doss that may not be on title teams, but among the league leaders.

First Team Big Ten WR did seem like a stretch, given that he will also be backup QB. It would be great, but every time he has to sub in for Weber will cut into his time at WR. Plus, he will have to prepare and practice both as WR and QB. Still, we'll see.

Won't happen...but it's fun to think about and I do think he will be a nice threat for us. The one pass I saw him catch in the scrimmage (I know...it's just a scrimmage) made him look like a nature wideout. He is just as fast as any receiver we have, he is the size of Eric Lair, and he seems to have nice hands. His "measureables" are that of a receiver that is not often found in college, but the NFL. I have no idea about his route running, or if he can hang onto the ball as he gets hit so it's still too early to predict anything for him.

We want the ball in his hands as much as possible.

The kid glides. And he is ridonkulously strong.

Big, strong, good hands. He'll be decent to good, but he'll be lucky to make honorable mention all-conference.

I think Gray has the potential to be all big ten at receiver. The big question is if he would ever get enough changes at that position. If it's all situational/gimmick plays he won't be out there enough.

No one should ever take anything Dave Mona says seriously. The guy is horrible and clueless.

The potential is there. Realizing that potential is something else. Fact is that QBs get converted to WR a lot. Whatever gets him on the field.

Marqueis Gray = Anquon Boldin?

Boldin was recruited to FSU as a QB/ATH, then switched to WR.

He and Gray are very similar, in that they are big strong guys, not extremely fast, but great athletes who can catch the ball and make things happen with the ball in their hands.

I was going to compare Gray with Boldin, but was afraid of the backlash...glad to see someone else sees it too.

I think Gray's best position is WR but he won't play there for a few reasons. One being I don't think Gray wants to. He wants to be the QB when Weber is done. I also don't think Brew wants to move him there full time. Could you imagine all the Brew haters if his prized QB recruit was moved to WR? I wish Gray would move to WR cause I fell Alipate is a better fit for the style of offense we want to run.

Top Bottom