Dave Lee

Maximus

Reaction score
First play of the game 62 yard touchdown pass to.....Da'Jon McKnight????????? Lee was probably worn out and fatigued.

I didn't listen to Dave tonight. Listened to the Big 10 Network crew instead. Dave can be excruciating to listen to.

Funny thing about that first play. None of the digits in Bennett's number are the same as in McKnight's number. So how does he screw that one up?

Great play by Bennett by the way.

I didn't listen to Dave tonight. Listened to the Big 10 Network crew instead. Dave can be excruciating to listen to.

Funny thing about that first play. None of the digits in Bennett's number are the same as in McKnight's number. So how does he screw that one up?

Great play by Bennett by the way.

If you didn't know the Gophers the B10 crew would have had you thinking that Decker was playing QB. They were brutal too!

This is honestly why I really hate Dave Lee. If we had a good play by play guy I could turn off the sound on the TV and load the radio broadcast online. :)

I was at the game and listened to the WCCO feed throughout. There were several head-scratching moments when I was left to wonder if Lee either:
A) Was watching a different game
OR
B) Knows nothing about football

A few examples:
"Weber out of the shotgun" -as he took the snap under center
"A good kickoff...taken at the 15 yard line"
-Not sure "what might have happened" to our ball carrier near the MSU sideline when the crowd mas mockingly calling for a 15 yard penalty.
Calling MSU's shank of a punt in the 2nd half a good kick, only to then follow up by saying that the Gophers will have good field position.

It often times feels like Dave Mona is taking on the fatherly role of explaining the intricacies of the game to a son when explaining this to Lee. I really like Mona and enjoy the value that he adds to the broadcast.

Listened to the highlights on the way home. The other radio guys from the other teams highlights sound just so more energetic and descriptive.

He also was wring on the TD run.

I really wish they'd just let the hoops (Mike Grimm) guy take over!

Listen to the Weber to Tow Arnett to Bennett touchdown call. It's hilarious! I was driving back to Duluth when I heard it on the postgame. I spit my water onto the steering wheel!

you guys are right - Dave Lee needs help

I hate to sound negative about this...but I am being honest. He is awful. It is almost like he is at a different game. Here is an example of a radio talk-show host that has absolutely no business whatsoever attempting to do play-by-play coverage of a Big Ten Football game. The U needs to make some changes. And the big question is this: Can't Learfield figure this out?

There were a few. I think that he said, "the Gophers lead by one, 35-31." As CP Gopher wrote, the Weber, Tow-Arnett, Bennett play was also a doozie. Until Mona said that the ball never hit the ground I could not envision what Lee was saying. I had no idea if the ball was a fumble or if it had popped into the air, or whatever. The crowd noise is a better barometer of whether something good or bad has happened for the Gophers than his call. Painful to listen to.

Lee is always, always bad

but it was really sad to hear how bad the B10 guy (Larivee?) was.

Thankfully Chris Martin doesn't suck. Sometimes he can be a little corny, but he's usually pretty solid.

Listen to the Weber to Tow Arnett to Bennett touchdown call. It's hilarious! I was driving back to Duluth when I heard it on the postgame. I spit my water onto the steering wheel!

I had to pick up some kids and couldn't believe how bad Dave Lee froze up on that TD pass...didn't describe anything leaving the listener dumbfounded

Steve Thompson is a much better play by play guy not to mention not as big of blind homer

He always leaves out important details, like how many yards a play gained, or what down it is and how many yards are needed. You have to listen for crowd noise to figure out if it was a good play of not. Eventually, he will tell you important information, but it will take a while.

Worst Radio Play by Play in BCS..and beyond

Embarrassing. Dave Lee is by far the worst I've ever heard calling major sports.

Rarely gives the score, down or distance.

Every exciting TD is simply "Weber takes the snap, throws, it's a Minnesota touchdown!" "The kick is blocked, the ball bounces, it's a Minnesota touchdown!" "It's a fumble, picked up, to the 40, it's a Minnesota touchdown!"

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Ish.

This radio coverage issue (i.e. Dave Lee as PBP guy) is a real blight on a storied program. We've had the likes of Halsey Hall and Ray Christensen, now Dave bumblin' Lee? It almost feels like a KFAN conspiracy. Sad.

It's about that time again.

Mr. Gerlach,

I e-mailed you about this two years ago, but it must be stated again: Dave Lee needs to be removed from covering Gopher Football broadcasts. Listening to the highlights while driving home after the game was just embarressing. His inability to identify the right player, inability to communicate what is happening on the field, and his overall lack of excitement is just unacceptable.

Thank you for your time,
(Me)

Greg Gerlach, GM
[email protected]

2nd Goph TD 38 yd pass to Greene....the call by Dave Lee. "blocked! caught!Brandon Green Touchdown. way to kill the call. he is horse sh4t. mike grimm would be good!

Wayne Larrivee has a classic broadcaster's voice, but he does so many games that I can't blame him for not being more tuned into what's actually happening, but he and his partner didn't really have a clue about the Gophers.

I listen to the games on satellite radio. I do enjoy listening to Thompson. I also loved watching him play in high school and with the gophs. I do not enjoy listening to Lee, and this is the first year I have ever had the chance to listen to the gophers on the radio since living up here the last 12 years. It is disappointing, but I am excited to listen to the games despite the play-by-play. True gopher fan?

Go Gophers!
SK Gopher

Listening to the Air Force game, I thought Lee had improved some over the years (maybe he has a little) but then Ray Christiansen comes on for one series and Dave Lee sounded horrible by comparison. I now find him intolerable once again. (He's great on his radio show, I have nothing against him personally.)

Steve Thompson? Is he the guy who comes on after the games and sounds like he is a stroke victim? He cannot be the same WCCO Steve Thompson who has that odd up and down voice like he is about to burp. Unlistenable, knows his baseball and probably football, but rather have Grimm.

Memo to All Gopher Holers

If you get cute here, and bash Dave Lee and don't send an email to Greg Gerlach you have done nothing to correct the problem. Dave Lee must go now!

Top Bottom