Dave Lee to retire

Spaulding!No!

Reaction score
We may use this space to remember favorite Gopher Football moments when Dave Lee was on the call.

‘Royston gets the handoff’. I still recall being in the garage thinking wth...

Please, please, please -

Let this mean that he also retires from doing the State Boys Basketball tournament on TV.

He goes into every game with 2 or three talking points, and then just repeats them incessantly - when he is not gushing about how excited the fans are. Holy Bleep - it's a bunch of HS kids and their team is in the state tournament - and you're amazed that they're excited? Arrgh.....

“And he’s hit hard...”

I didn’t hate him as much as most.

Maybe he'll still do St Thomas games? Then, FireDaveLee guy will have to start posting over there, too.

And, it has been reported he will still be doing the high school basketball tourney TV.

I always thought FireDaveLee guy was one of the best handles ever on Gopher Hole.

Last edited:

Is the Goof on the Roof the next to retire from the big neighbor?

easily the worst ever....he should never have taken on the play-by-play duties. Simply awful. Sorry just being honest.
When he got canned from calling gopher games he said something like... ‘ I never even applied for the job they chose me and it didn’t pay well.’ Clown move

So who is likely to take over?

Please, please, please -

Let this mean that he also retires from doing the State Boys Basketball tournament on TV.

He goes into every game with 2 or three talking points, and then just repeats them incessantly - when he is not gushing about how excited the fans are. Holy Bleep - it's a bunch of HS kids and their team is in the state tournament - and you're amazed that they're excited? Arrgh.....

My thoughts exactly.

A rebound for the Wildcats. The Wildcats dribble down the court. Stolen by the Tigers. Tigers go the other way. Shot by the Tigers. It won't go in. Rebound by the Wildcats. Wildcats bring the ball down. Wildcats shoot, and it doesn't fall.

(Never mentioned the school or town. Any badly missed shot "doesn't fall in", "Bounces out", or "Won't go in". There was never any insinuation that the ball didn't go into the hoop because of how it was shot. Play by play was always conducted in a way where it sounded like sheer chance whether the ball would ever end up in the hoop or not).

Isn't Dave Lee the voice of the Tommies? Honestly, I cannot remember any call by Dave Lee. Hope he enjoys retirement.

Probably his best call from what I remember.
Was that Dave Mona with him? Great radio voice. I didn't listen to many games. Only when no tv was available for road games. I remember wanting those two to switch jobs.

Didn't hate his play by play as much as some did. Great guy and a big supporter of Gopher Athletics.

I nominate Tommy Mischke for next play by play guy. He is looking for work and always commented on how much bread Lee could eat. He must know sports.

"Corderback."

Nice man, though. In his Gopher broadcast days, I spoke with him over a beer or two on many a road game Friday. Nice man, way overmatched.

Didn't hate his play by play as much as some did. Great guy and a big supporter of Gopher Athletics.
I'm kind of with this take. I really don't like the over the top guys on the radio. They sound like a kid trying to get noticed. I am definitely in the minority but I never understood everyone complaining about him. I will add before everyone bashes me IMO .....

For the record, I never wanted him removed from his WCCO morning show role....just his Gopher play-by-play duties.

That OSU clip from above is a perfect example.....his voice & surprise regarding "the clock is stopped....now they got it going." So unaware of the rules.

Also a big fan of emphasizing the receiver that was in the "slot."

One of my favorite moments: 2008 vs. Indiana, Weber was under pressure, flushed, & avoided a sack & rolled to his right & hit Tow-Arnett for a big play down inside the 5....his call "Weber, rolls to his right, he's got his man!"

No ill will; I hope he enjoys retirement. I'm glad that we got Grimm.

Last edited:

So let's talk about WCCO. Really...how popular is that station nowadays? I quit listening about 10 years ago as I know many friends have too....the Talk Show hosts were just awful. One time on Chad Hartman's show...they were talking U of M sports and he was completely bashing the U. Never met him...but on the air he was an a$$hole. Then there is whiney Mikey Max...another dick that enjoyed talking sh!t about the Gophers.

Shooter chimes in:

WCCO-AM’s Dave Lee, the station’s franchise voice who is retiring at age 66 after 32 years as an award-winning morning show host, could end up with some local sportscasting opportunities. But no more getting up at 3:30 a.m. to do the best show, by far, on the airwaves during his timeslot.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom