Dave Lee calling the MTSU Deadhorse

wait!what?

Reaction score
I listened to the call on WCCO and Dave Lee was terrible, but you did hear DM and DT correct him immediately when a mistake was made.

Maybe, just maybe, the emails to Gerlach are making some impact. The fact that he's being corrected on air as soon as he makes the error at least speaks well for Mona and Thompson. I doubt it will cause Lee to actually do some homework prior to each game but at least it seems like a little pressure might be coming down. I may actually try listening this Saturday.

How DARE you criticize an award winning play-by-play man!!!

I listened to the call on WCCO and Dave Lee was terrible, but you did hear DM and DT correct him immediately when a mistake was made.

The ESPNU clowns (how many times did he say "Kirkland" instead of "Kirkwood") were almost as bad as Dave Lee. However, they are not the radio home of the Gophers.

The ESPNU clowns (how many times did he say "Kirkland" instead of "Kirkwood") were almost as bad as Dave Lee. However, they are not the radio home of the Gophers.

I'm drinking a bottle of Kirkland Spring Water right now! Refreshing.

As much of a dope as Dave is, he is a nice guy. Just a really, really, really bad PBP guy.

He asked the advice of the parents I was hanging with as to what he should say about the Hoese situation, if anything. He was going to say nothing if that is what the parents had desired. He does have class. Just really, really, really dopey class.

You have to be one of the last to listen to the game on radio. The broadcast has lost market share and listners since Dave Lee took over. Even the Learfield V.P. thinks its a joke.

You have to be one of the last to listen to the game on radio. The broadcast has lost market share and listners since Dave Lee took over. Even the Learfield V.P. thinks its a joke.

How come Learfield doesn't do something about it? I thought they bought the rights and can choose who they want?

I listen to one away game, on average, on the radio per year. I've got a busy schedule and I make sure the sea is parted so I can attend all Gopher home games plus one away game per year. That doesn't leave many open weekends for all the other stuff that naturally piles up. So, although I am able to catch most of the away games on TV, I do have to listen to one game per year (or so) on the radio. I'm guessing there are a lot of people like me, but actually have to listen to MORE games (home and away games) on the radio. It isn't like there are a lot of other options when you are on the road, at a cabin, doing a project, etc. The Gophers have a great game-day network all across the state so SOMEONE is listening to the games on the radio.

The only solution I've come to on why he's still the play-by-play guy is that either the decision makers have never heard him do play-by-play and only heard him on WCCO in the morning or they're listening to people who've never listened to him do play-by-play and only on CCO in the morning. My mom is one person that loves Dave Lee in the morning and was appaled when I mentioned to her how awful Dave Lee is at play-by-play.

I honestly think he has a decent voice, and I've liked him when he's MC'd Goal Line Club luncheons, et. al......the people making decisions are letting this play a factor. This offseason with the fan survey was probably a completely eye opening moment for those at the athletic department since they've probably only heard some complaints about him and the people that would call in in favor outweighed those that hated his abilities. With the online survey, it brought the issue straight to the top.

If you are listening to the game in your car you still have time to stop in and purchase some Country Hearth bread. This was during the MTSU game.

All one would have to do on any given Saturday afternoon is roll through your radio dial and pick up any Division I, II or III game and it wouldn't take long to realize that the Gopher fan faithful deserve much better. Nothing personal as I am sure Dave Lee is a great guy but he is flat out a horrible play by play announcer. I sent two e-mails in the past to Gerlach. No response.

I had the misfortune of having to step out during halftime of the game last Thursday knowing that I wouldn't get home in time for the 2nd half. I knew this would mean that I would inevitably suffer through Dave Lee instead of just rewinding the game when I got home on the DVR.

I don't think it's hyperbole when I say that listening to Dave Lee ranks right up there with worst moments as a Gopher fan in my life. The only time he showed any emotion at all was when he was pimping Country Hearth bread. In fact, it may be that his verbal tongue bathing of sponsors is the only reason he has this gig.

I thought he might improve as he gained experience. i think instead he might have gotten worse.

Time for a change

As someone who never gets a chance to watch on TV and only follow on radio, the nicest thing to say is that Dave Lee has to go. Listening to the MTSU game, I totally relied on listening to the MTSU public address announcer to get the right yardage gain and ball placement. Lee is frequently off by 5 yards on placemet. "The Gophers are down to the 12!" then you hear otherwise from the PA announcer, next play, he says "gains 3 and now the Gophers are at the 14" (obviously confusing the 12 for the 17).

He leaves the radio listener totally clueless as to placement, accuracy of yards gained etc. This year the color guys are doing a lot better at covering up his deficiencies.

I listened to the game on the radio from the middle of the third quarter on. I took my 3 year old to TCF to watch the game, but she got cold, so we left, and I finished the game on the radio. It's painful, you have to wait so long just to hear the results of the play. You have to judge by emotions whether it was a good play or not.

Dave Lee problems.

Dave Lee is a great morning guy but as has been stated is terrible at play by play. During the State Football tournaments he does many of the games and its even worse than Gopher games if you can believe that. Here are my biggest Dave Lee problems.

#1. Dave Lee struggles with yardage and where the ball is on the field. He does a horrible job of judging where the ball is and how far a ball carrier has gone before he is tackles. I cant imagine how many times I have listened thinking the Gophers have had a great play to hear 2nd and 15 wondering how a -5 yard run could be so good.

#2. Tell us where the ball is and what is happening with it. "Weber back to pass and its caught" is not a play call for a play by play guy. How about "Weber drops back to pass he throws to the left side and it's caught by Gray for a first down".

#3. A big play should sound like a big play. You should be able to tell in the announcers voice if its a play that is exciting. A run for 3 yards should not sound the same as a run for 78 yards and a TD.

Top Bottom