Darius Smith Had His Chance

Reaction score
UN-TIMES SPOTLIGHT BY TAYLOR BELL
DARIUS SMITH SENIOR | GUARD | 6-2 | MARSHALL March 13, 2009

You are a two-time All-Area basketball player who played on one state championship team and in three Final Fours. What does it take to be a great player? You've got to play hard, have self-discipline and be able to take positive and negative criticism. Mostly, it's a mind game. If you prepare yourself in a certain way, using your own method or fundamentals, you will create your own style of play and people will follow you. You had to play for three coaches in four years. How tough was that? It was tough. But if you have the right mind-set, you can adjust to anything. In college, the same thing can happen, and you have to adjust. If you have the right mind-set, you can play through it. What did you learn from the experience? To be humble and hope for the best. This is my team. We are a family. It's my job to keep the family together. You can't take sides because you are a child and adults will make their decisions. When people talk about Marshall tradition, what comes to mind? Defense and knowing we will play hard no matter who we're playing against. And I think of all the great players -- George Wilson, Rich Bradshaw and Joe Stiffend. The best thing about winning a state championship is ... Just to go down in history, to be remembered as a state champion, to see our trophy in the same case with the 1958 and 1960 trophies, next to all the girls' trophies. Your most exciting basketball moment? Last year's state title game. I remember the buzzer going off and I jumped in the air, the highest I ever jumped in my life. And I saw Ryan Hare crying. He was the toughest guy on our team. To see him crying was amazing. We beat a Simeon team going for a three-peat. Nobody thought we could beat them. It was a great feeling. As far as recruiting, you remain uncommitted. What is your game plan? I've had a lot of offers, from Duke, Memphis, Connecticut, UCLA, Kentucky, Minnesota, Washington, Pittsburgh, Marquette, Arizona State, Cincinnati and some others. But I want to wait until after the season. Right now, I want to concentrate on the state tournament. You almost signed early with Minnesota but didn't. What did you learn from that experience?Recruiting is a business. Someone out there is willing to take a step before you do. I wanted to go to Minnesota and [coach] Tubby Smith. I wish I could have gone there. That was a perfect fit for me. But they signed another guard. Everything happens for a reason. Who is your hero? Coach Henry Cotton. He took me under his wing. I had a rocky grammar-school life. I was getting into a lot of trouble. I was very disrespectful. He straightened me out. Without him, I wouldn't be where I am today. He made me realize I can use basketball instead of basketball using me. Superstition?I sing a little church song before every game. Favorite pregame meal? I don't eat before a game. But in the morning, I have a big breakfast of pancakes, hash browns and bacon. I wish I could go one-on-one with ... Barack Obama. I want to see if he can handle my press.

Harsh, but true. He had a perfect opportunity to make a commitment, but chose not to. Fortunately for us, we had our pick of two good point guards that both wanted to come here. Unfortunately for Smith, Cobbs beat him to the punch.

That's the world of college recruiting. You only have so many offers to give to so many kids. And sometimes, you've got to make a tough call. Tubby and Cobbs made their calls. And for Smith, it left him having to explore other options.

UK Needed A WF In 1998 Class

First choice of many was 6-7 Vince Yarborough (sp?) who picked Tennessee.

Next choice was 6-8 Mike Miller who committed to Florida.

Third in line was a skinny 6-9 Californian.

Tayshaun Prince. Later 2-time A-A. NBA champion. And Olympic Gold Medalist.

I hope we don't regret not waiting a bit for Smith. Most accounts are that he blew up this winter and will have a lot of opportunities at big schools.

The accounts I have read is that he is great against lower level competition, but has trouble if he has to play in a match up that is physical. From what I read there aren't too many big schools looking at him and the ones that are, are doing so because they are in big need and he is the best of what's left. The teams that are hottest after him are Bradley and DePaul.

The accounts I have read is that he is great against lower level competition, but has trouble if he has to play in a match up that is physical. From what I read there aren't too many big schools looking at him and the ones that are, are doing so because they are in big need and he is the best of what's left. The teams that are hottest after him are Bradley and DePaul.

"...I've had a lot of offers, from Duke, Memphis, Connecticut, UCLA, Kentucky, Minnesota, Washington, Pittsburgh, Marquette, Arizona State, Cincinnati..."

I count 7 or 8 "big" schools on that list.

Not to mention that he is rated as a better prospect than Cobbs.

Do you really think that Duke, UCLA, and Memphis will accept his commitment?

Better than Brandon Paul?

Is this a weak senior class in Illinois based on their typical standards?

Top Bottom