Daniel Oturu's draft position

Zubac literally starts for them at Center... do you even watch NBA basketball? You say I have no clue but compared DO to Paul George and Jayson Tatum... who's the real idiot here?

Are you being intentionally obtuse or are you actually missing the larger point he was making?

On the point, the old-school PF position is dying. More and more teams play four perimter guys around a center (which is also getting smaller and more perimeter-oriented for that matter). To say Oturu could play power forward means he'd be sharing the floor with a center - which is just not feasible.

A lot of teams don't even deploy 'stretch power fowards' anymore. They deploy two or three small fowards (which is an archaic way to look at positions, rather they are mostly just labeled wings). Oturu is not a PF in any sense. If that were to be done, he'd ultimately end up cross-matched with guys like Paul George, Tatum, Kawhi and all the guys you think of when you think 'stud NBA wings'. Because small forwards are playing up. The old power forwards are playing up. Centers aren't playing down.

My gawd that shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp. It doesn't matter if Paul George is more of a SG/SF or that Zubac starts. The Clippers start him and he plays 18 minutes per game. When winning time comes around, they are playing him with some combination of Leonard, Morris, Beverly, Williams and Harrel. That means he's somewhere in the 2-4 range if we just need to assign him an NBA Live position.

Are you being intentionally obtuse or are you actually missing the larger point he was making?

On the point, the old-school PF position is dying. More and more teams play four perimter guys around a center (which is also getting smaller and more perimeter-oriented for that matter). To say Oturu could play power forward means he'd be sharing the floor with a center - which is just not feasible.

A lot of teams don't even deploy 'stretch power fowards' anymore. They deploy two or three small fowards (which is an archaic way to look at positions, rather they are mostly just labeled wings). Oturu is not a PF in any sense. If that were to be done, he'd ultimately end up cross-matched with guys like Paul George, Tatum, Kawhi and all the guys you think of when you think 'stud NBA wings'. Because small forwards are playing up. The old power forwards are playing up. Centers aren't playing down.

My gawd that shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp. It doesn't matter if Paul George is more of a SG/SF or that Zubac starts. The Clippers start him and he plays 18 minutes per game. When winning time comes around, they are playing him with some combination of Leonard, Morris, Beverly, Williams and Harrel. That means he's somewhere in the 2-4 range if we just need to assign him an NBA Live position.
There are still some traditional power forwards that start: collins, love, wood, adebayo, ayton or baynes, morris to name a few. I think everyone can agree positions are becoming meaningless to some. It is just a label. Some teams start 2 centers, some traditional, some 2 pf's, some 2 sf's, some 3 sf's.

There are still some traditional power forwards that start: collins, love, wood, adebayo, ayton or baynes, morris to name a few. I think everyone can agree positions are becoming meaningless to some. It is just a label. Some teams start 2 centers, some traditional, some 2 pf's, some 2 sf's, some 3 sf's.

Half those guys play center almost the entire time they are on the floor. Baynes is a center. He shoots a lot of 3s but he plays center. Ayton is a center. Even Collins might be a better fit as a center (though he'll have to play PF now with Capela in Atlanta).

Ultimately, sure, there are still some power forwards - the position is dying, not dead. But Oturu isn't anything like Christian Wood or Markieff Morris.

Barring some insane modifications to his game, I don't see how Oturu can share the floor with a guy like Capela, Gobert, Adams and mosh of true centers. I tend to think his path to an impactful NBA role is playing like a Montrez Harrel/Ed Davis/Dwigh Powell type who makes a living setting picks, rolling and finishing. Significantly different than what we saw him do this past year with the Gophers.

But yeah I'd agree that positions are becoming less and less meaningful. It's more about who you can defend and with all the switching going on in the league nowadays, it isn't like NBA live where your SF guards their SF and so on.

Half those guys play center almost the entire time they are on the floor. Baynes is a center.

I was misinformed on baynes and ayton. Turns out they just started a handful of times together. Then the experiment failed.Phoenix is a team I admittedly dont follow much. Time will tell which team drafts him and how they use him. Kevin love was a center for ucla. Slow footed but still played pf in the nba. I really could care less on what position he plays I just want him to succeed.

I was misinformed on baynes and ayton. Turns out they just started a handful of times together. Then the experiment failed.Phoenix is a team I admittedly dont follow much. Time will tell which team drafts him and how they use him. Kevin love was a center for ucla. Slow footed but still played pf in the nba. I really could care less on what position he plays I just want him to succeed.
I will be shocked if Oturu shoots 37% from 3 on volume, Plus Love is a incredible outlet passer. Oturu has a big upside.

Daniel has a lot to work on ... he's not a very good passer and has a lot of turnerovers without even trying to pass. BUT, he's a motivated kid with a lot of god given talent. Is it a risk, yes, but even some of last years lottery picks spent time in the G league. The G and rookie salary cap allow teams to take their time (maybe even take a few risks) to build their rosters. I believe Daniel is a first rounder, but one that will take a few years to develop into a true NBA roster spot.

Daniel has a lot to work on ... he's not a very good passer and has a lot of turnerovers without even trying to pass. BUT, he's a motivated kid with a lot of god given talent. Is it a risk, yes, but even some of last years lottery picks spent time in the G league. The G and rookie salary cap allow teams to take their time (maybe even take a few risks) to build their rosters. I believe Daniel is a first rounder, but one that will take a few years to develop into a true NBA roster spot.
Admittedly i know little about the NBA and rely on others for that insight but if it was me i would take a shot on him in the 1st round.

Did you seriously just respond to a 12-day-old argument with a 3 paragraph post? What the f*ck is your problem man?

I'm not even going to argue with you... it's weird. There's got to be a better use for your time.

I haven't been paying attention to draft stuff yet, but thanks to those posting links in this thread. I really hope Daniel can find a spot in round 1 not only for himself, but also selfishly as a fan of the University of Minnesota. The U badly needs to end its ugly draught of not producing a first round draft pick since Humphries.

This is an overstatement: "His jump shot is a work in progress." He shot the ball pretty damn well for a sophomore center

This is an overstatement: "His jump shot is a work in progress." He shot the ball pretty damn well for a sophomore center
His mid-range jumper was often times his best weapon, I hope they are just talking about maybe his form or ability to create off the dribble, I found that unusual as well

Yah, it is strange they talk about his offensive being a weakness and then have a quote from the Rutgers coach in how he needed everyone on the team to have a role in defending him.

Yah, it is strange they talk about his offensive being a weakness and then have a quote from the Rutgers coach in how he needed everyone on the team to have a role in defending him.
In the NBA he will be guarded by guys miles better than what Rutgers had.

There are more than 75 far better than what Rutgers could do. Big 10 sorely lacks top end elite players.
You're right, but that also means they have to give the effort as well which is generally lacking from NBA games

You're right, but that also means they have to give the effort as well which is generally lacking from NBA games
We will simply disagree. I am not one that knows that much about how games translate to the NBA but he is not looked at as more than a role player to start with. So you think he averages double figures year one?

We will simply disagree. I am not one that knows that much about how games translate to the NBA but he is not looked at as more than a role player to start with. So you think he averages double figures year one?
Where did I say that? I am only commenting that I feel you are over rating NBA defenses, his actual statistics are anyone's guess.

Where did I say that? I am only commenting that I feel you are over rating NBA defenses, his actual statistics are anyone's guess.
[/QUOTE
no big deal, we disagree. I think that there is incredible defense that great offensive skill overcomes.

He is a late first round lock imo. Which is best case scenario for him, good team with a good coaching staff most likely.

Oturu performed notably well against quality opponents compared to other Freshman-sophomores since 2008.

He sits at 25, just outside the image preview.

DeLaSalle grad Tyrell Terry of Stanford is the top-ranked (No. 17) prospect from Minnesota for this summer’s NBA draft, by si.com. At No. 31 is Arizona’s Zeke Nnaji of Hopkins. Duke’s Tre Jones of Apple Valley is No. 44, the Gophers’ Daniel Oturu of Cretin-Derham Hall No. 45.

From Shooter's column: SI #45

Top Bottom