Daniel Oturu's draft position

Block M

Reaction score
Looks like 2nd round and G-league duty for DO. In the old days that would be cause for return to college ball but no longer. All these marginal NBA players leaving early is hard to understand. College degree really losing its value.

I LOVE Daniel, but lets be honest, he isnt a top 15 pick. If someone can post a reputable mock from the last month or 2 (not the ONE that had him 8th) and show me where he is going in the top 15 I would be shocked. I would be willing to bet a significant amount of money he goes after 20 and more likely round 2. Doesnt mean it was the wrong choice for him, just the facts.

Not sure why everyone assumes a 2nd round pick is the G League. Plenty of those land on NBA rosters because they are cheap. He is good enough to be on an NBA roster and I think he'll find himself on one, even as a 2nd round pick.

Lots of top of the 2nd round guys get some guaranteed money and 3 years on the roster.

College degree really losing its value.

Well, to some degree, the four year degree has lost its value, at least in more than a few disciplines. But, as Kobe Bryant once said when asked if he regretted not going to college, "No. I can always go to college."

There's nothing preventing Daniel from completing his degree some day. If he has a couple of million dollars (or even half a million) in reserve while he's doing that, he can live the student life in style.

Looks like 2nd round and G-league duty for DO. In the old days that would be cause for return to college ball but no longer. All these marginal NBA players leaving early is hard to understand. College degree really losing its value.

Oturu will have a long NBA career and he can earn that piece of paper that says he graduated anytime after that.

Has he hired an Agent?

Is there a possibility he returns?

Seems unlikely, but a fan can dream...

How does Oturu compare to that Center, Justin Patton, that the Timberwolves traded for, got injured and seems to be in obscurity now? He was drafted 16th out of Creighton. I gotta think Oturu has a more impressive college resume than he had, but I don’t know.

Certainly the quality of draft classes can change, but he seems like a decent comp

I’ve heard there is heavy interest from the Celtics wherever their first round pick is in the first round he will probably go there at the latest.

Well, to some degree, the four year degree has lost its value, at least in more than a few disciplines. But, as Kobe Bryant once said when asked if he regretted not going to college, "No. I can always go to college."

There's nothing preventing Daniel from completing his degree some day. If he has a couple of million dollars (or even half a million) in reserve while he's doing that, he can live the student life in style.

But Kobe never did go to college, did he? There is no replacing the college experience of the 18-22 yr old, IMO, but for those who have an opportunity to earn a 7-figure salary as a teenager, I get it. What would Kobe's career arc been had he played in college? Lebron for that matter? Would a reduction in net worth by a hundred million even make a difference?

How does Oturu compare to that Center, Justin Patton, that the Timberwolves traded for, got injured and seems to be in obscurity now? He was drafted 16th out of Creighton. I gotta think Oturu has a more impressive college resume than he had, but I don’t know.

Certainly the quality of draft classes can change, but he seems like a decent comp
This is the problem a lot of people get into. it has ZERO to do with resume. Zach LaVine averaged 9 points 2 reb and 2 ast a game in college, he went in the middle of the first. Markus Howard is going to score over 20ppg in three straight years in a good conference and is probably going round 2. Its all about the tools. I have said before Oturu is good yes, but he lacks any sort of handle, is a very inconsistent shooter, is a black hole on the block, can't pass and isnt the elite of the elite athletes some NBA bigs are. So teams need to decide if they can improve those areas or he will make enough of an impact the way he is. Someone above mentioned Boston likes him, that makes sense, Oturu is fairly similar to Enes Kanter. Very good offensively in the paint, very good rebounder, zero passing ability and not great range. The one thing Oturu could do better is defend the paint, but that is no sure thing right now. These things all add up to a late 1st-early 2nd round pick

If he isn't guaranteed to be in the first round, I hope he reconsiders coming back. How good could this team be if he returns?

If he isn't guaranteed to be in the first round, I hope he reconsiders coming back. How good could this team be if he returns?
He can't come back because he hired an agent. But to answer your question we would be frontrunners to win the B1G.

Likely picked 5th with him back. Hell, we finished a full 6 games behind UW and they return nearly everyone, plus add impressive pieces. Iowa adds. MSU is pretty loaded up and adds Hauser.

He can't come back because he hired an agent. But to answer your question we would be frontrunners to win the B1G.
I am a bit confused. I thought with recent rule changes a player could engage the services of an NCAA certified agent to help them through the process but that they still had the option to return to school if they decided they wanted to withdraw from the draft. Can anyone clarify this?

I am a bit confused. I thought with recent rule changes a player could engage the services of an NCAA certified agent to help them through the process but that they still had the option to return to school if they decided they wanted to withdraw from the draft. Can anyone clarify this?

You appear to be correct. Wikipedia suggests that this rule was changed effective last year.

Likely picked 5th with him back. Hell, we finished a full 6 games behind UW and they return nearly everyone, plus add impressive pieces. Iowa adds. MSU is pretty loaded up and adds Hauser.

If Oturu came back, I’d expect Minnesota to make a larger jump next year than Wisconsin. Minnesota’s talent was in the sophomore class and bolstered by few experienced upper classmen. Wisconsin was a junior led team with solid senior contributors. I’m a big believer that experienced rosters make all the difference. The relative experience gap shrinks this upcoming year, and the overall gap between 1-12 in the big was marginal. The again, Gard proved he shouldn’t be underestimated.

My take is that last year’s group ran out of time to figure out how to close games. 10 years ago, we’d be saying “can you believe how good our roster is going to be for the next two years with Carr, Oturu, and Kelschuer”, but it’s 2020 and every team loses dominant players the moment they emerge.

By the way, who does Wisco have at point next year?

He is the second tier of bigs after Wiseman and Euros. He won't fall past 1st round.

If Oturu came back, I’d expect Minnesota to make a larger jump next year than Wisconsin. Minnesota’s talent was in the sophomore class and bolstered by few experienced upper classmen. Wisconsin was a junior led team with solid senior contributors. I’m a big believer that experienced rosters make all the difference. The relative experience gap shrinks this upcoming year, and the overall gap between 1-12 in the big was marginal. The again, Gard proved he shouldn’t be underestimated.

My take is that last year’s group ran out of time to figure out how to close games. 10 years ago, we’d be saying “can you believe how good our roster is going to be for the next two years with Carr, Oturu, and Kelschuer”, but it’s 2020 and every team loses dominant players the moment they emerge.

By the way, who does Wisco have at point next year?
UW loses only one senior. Pritzl averaged 8 points per game. Hope your right about a larger jump . If we jump 4 games to get to 12-8. they would need to go 19-1 to top that. The 6 game difference this year is a huge gap.

UW loses only one senior. Pritzl averaged 8 points per game. Hope your right about a larger jump . If we jump 4 games to get to 12-8. they would need to go 19-1 to top that. The 6 game difference this year is a huge gap.
Ah for some reason I had trice penciled in as a graduate (I usually tune back into badgers around big ten tournament time).

“Huge” is maybe a semantical difference. Result wise, 6 games is a absolutely a large gap. If we tried to quantify what went wrong game-by-game to generate those results, I think the gap is very small. Kenpom 22 vs 27 (looking at the whole year because I don’t have the energy yet to break it out) is an incredibly small “gap”. I think the key metric is the ill-defined “luck”. Wisconsin was ranked 102 and Minnesota 351 out of 353. The only way I can rationalize this metric is to consider it as having intangibles, being efficient in critical situations, late game strategy. I think all of these things are derived from the coach, are earned with experience, and are heightened by understanding your teammates.

Since Oturu is out, I honestly don’t know what to expect next year. I know no loss last year was because of an individual mistake, but I can probably point to boneheaded/out-of-role/nervous late game mistakes in 6-7 of our losses that significantly swayed the outcome. General logic would tell us that those mistakes become fewer with more experience. But the core is not remaining intact and a lot of new faces will be sharing critical minutes for the first time next year.

Last edited:

This is the problem a lot of people get into. it has ZERO to do with resume. Zach LaVine averaged 9 points 2 reb and 2 ast a game in college, he went in the middle of the first. Markus Howard is going to score over 20ppg in three straight years in a good conference and is probably going round 2. Its all about the tools. I have said before Oturu is good yes, but he lacks any sort of handle, is a very inconsistent shooter, is a black hole on the block, can't pass and isnt the elite of the elite athletes some NBA bigs are. So teams need to decide if they can improve those areas or he will make enough of an impact the way he is. Someone above mentioned Boston likes him, that makes sense, Oturu is fairly similar to Enes Kanter. Very good offensively in the paint, very good rebounder, zero passing ability and not great range. The one thing Oturu could do better is defend the paint, but that is no sure thing right now. These things all add up to a late 1st-early 2nd round pick

So many errors and omissions above. Just a bad analysis. Oturu WILL go in the top 15. No ifs, ands, or buts.

So many errors and omissions above. Just a bad analysis. Oturu WILL go in the top 15. No ifs, ands, or buts.
That would be great but it would go against 90% of the mock drafts out there. I'm guessing he goes in the mid 20's at best.

How does Oturu compare to that Center, Justin Patton, that the Timberwolves traded for, got injured and seems to be in obscurity now? He was drafted 16th out of Creighton.

You know, Justin Patton is a good example of the lack of downside in the decision to enter the draft if you have a pretty good shot at being drafted in the 1st round (I believe Daniel does although maybe not has high as #16). Patton has played 6 NBA games in 3 years. So far, one would have to consider him a bust. Nevertheless, he has earned about $6.5 million over those 3 years. If he managed to put away a million (or even less) of that, he could decide to quit professional basketball, go back to school, and finish his degree without any financial problems.

Patton played only one year at Creighton. His freshman numbers were slightly better than Oturu's freshman numbers, but only slightly.

Top Bottom