Dane Mizutani: We better enjoy Gophers basketball star Marcus Carr while we can

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dane:

In a rather quiet game on Monday night, at least by his standards, Carr dropped 19 points in a dominant win over No. 17 Michigan State. He likely would have scored more if that game wasn’t all but over by halftime.

Now, the Gophers ready themselves for a huge game at No. 6 Wisconsin on New Year’s Eve. That should be appointment viewing for local sports fans, and not solely because of the border battle.

Truthfully, any time Carr steps on the court for the Gophers, even the most casual fan should tune in. He declared for the NBA Draft after last season before ultimately withdrawing his name so he could return to school for another season of college ball.

It’s safe to say the redshirt junior from Toronto won’t be doing that again after this season.

Go Gophers!!

He gets out of bed dribbling but he is clearly the best player on the floor. As good as Amir was, Carr is better.

He gets out of bed dribbling but he is clearly the best player on the floor. As good as Amir was, Carr is better.
Amir needed another year of seasoning. But probably realized he wouldn't be able to dominate the ball with Carr eligible.

Not sure how well Carr's game translate to the NBA, he made a big jump with his physical fitness this year but not sure his athleticism is at a NBA level . Amir, because of his size, I believe has more upside than Carr. Hope they both become stars in the league.

Not sure how well Carr's game translate to the NBA, he made a big jump with his physical fitness this year but not sure his athleticism is at a NBA level . Amir, because of his size, I believe has more upside than Carr. Hope they both become stars in the league.

Well, as far as size, Damian Lillard is 6'2" (same as Carr's listed height), Donovan Mitchell is 6'1", and Kemba Walker is 6 foot.

I expect that Carr can get at least a two-way contract (like Coffey got) at the end of this season and has a pretty fair chance of making an NBA roster, either after this year or some day in the future. Remember Dakota Mathias? He was one of those white boy shooters Purdue seems to have regularly. He left Purdue in 2018, played in the G League, and is now on the Philadelphia 76ers roster. Got in a game the other day and scored 8 points.

Well, as far as size, Damian Lillard is 6'2" (same as Carr's listed height), Donovan Mitchell is 6'1", and Kemba Walker is 6 foot.

I expect that Carr can get at least a two-way contract (like Coffey got) at the end of this season and has a pretty fair chance of making an NBA roster, either after this year or some day in the future. Remember Dakota Mathias? He was one of those white boy shooters Purdue seems to have regularly. He left Purdue in 2018, played in the G League, and is now on the Philadelphia 76ers roster. Got in a game the other day and scored 8 points.

If you can shoot, defend someone and won't be a locker room cancer or PR disaster, the NBA will find a place on a roster for you. Perfectly fits Dakota. There are a lot of fringe talent NBA guys and at that level character is huge.

Carr has improved his perimeter shooting tremendously since last season. That will help him.

Don't see Carr as more than a fringe end-of-roster NBA guy but he's gone after this year. Guys that are as good as he has been this year rarely stay in college independent of their NBA prospects.

So hopefully he keeps pouring it on and we win while we've got him.

Don't see Carr as more than a fringe end-of-roster NBA guy but he's gone after this year. Guys that are as good as he has been this year rarely stay in college independent of their NBA prospects.

So hopefully he keeps pouring it on and we win while we've got him.
I don't see Carr pulling an Anthony Cowan.

But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Cowan staying longer than he should have left a huge hole for Maryland and helped them to fall back as a program this year.

Carr leaving opens up time for Mashburn and someone else we may sign or recruit.

He isn't going to get any better playing another season here. Like Garza's return.

I dunno about anyone else, but in my opinion, Carr is way better than Coffey. I was a fan of Coffey's but I don't think he even lived up to the hype. He wasn't a great shooter, wasn't all that great at driving the lane. I remember shaking my head at his misses from 3 feet. Also thought he should have stayed for one more year... Carr on the other hand, to me, would have more upside. He can shoot and drive. His only disadvantage is his height as opposed to Coffey's. But if you can shoot, drive and score, you definitely can get on an NBA team. Have you seen how clutch Carr is? I can't think of any other Gopher in the past two decades that I'd rather have the ball in his hands with 10 seconds left.

Carr definitely has NBA talent and if he stays on current pace for the rest of the season, will get drafted. It's hard to guarantee with shorter NBA PGs if they will make it long term, but he sure looks to have the talent and more importantly the "want to". His history of clutch game winning plays help my argument as well.

I dunno about anyone else, but in my opinion, Carr is way better than Coffey. I was a fan of Coffey's but I don't think he even lived up to the hype. He wasn't a great shooter, wasn't all that great at driving the lane. I remember shaking my head at his misses from 3 feet. Also thought he should have stayed for one more year... Carr on the other hand, to me, would have more upside. He can shoot and drive. His only disadvantage is his height as opposed to Coffey's. But if you can shoot, drive and score, you definitely can get on an NBA team. Have you seen how clutch Carr is? I can't think of any other Gopher in the past two decades that I'd rather have the ball in his hands with 10 seconds left.
It is possible that Carr is a better college player and Coffey is a better pro prospect

I think that is where I’m at.

I also think people devalue Coffey being close to his peak early in his career. Carr is much better now than he was even last year IMO

Carr definitely has NBA talent and if he stays on current pace for the rest of the season, will get drafted. It's hard to guarantee with shorter NBA PGs if they will make it long term, but he sure looks to have the talent and more importantly the "want to". His history of clutch game winning plays help my argument as well.

He may not get drafted but may still make an NBA roster (even immediately next season). Because there are only 2 rounds these days and a certain number of second rounders are overseas players who remain there and are not expected to come to the NBA for some time, the NBA takes a larger number of free agent rookies these days.

Hilarious that this thread, where we celebrate the human dagger that is Marcus Carr, has 12 (now 13) replies. The thread discussing concerns for next year has 56.

We play UW today, people... there are no guarantees that we win, but team defense cannot stop Carr’s step back 3!! If we play solid D again, I see no reason we can’t outplay UW. We’ve been moving the ball better but still have one of the best one-on-one scorers in the NCAA. Make wisco defend all game and hit them with the dagger.

I’ve got degrees from both school, and these matchups are always a stress roller coaster for me. I treat the day as a holiday. I root like hell for the gophers to break through, and pray that my father and I won’t have a falling out when it happens (kidding).

He will 100% be drafted if he keeps up this pace. He is at worst similar and to me a better player than the Purdue guard Edwards and he was drafted #33 overall.

This is the year to do something special. Understand, players like him don't just come around all that often and as great as the rest of the team has been, this guy is the type to take this team up to the next level.

Did Marcus kind of disappear against Illinois, Wisconsin, and the first Michigan game? Cassius Winston was drafted 53rd. He basically never disappeared in a game. Maybe Carr should come back next year and get to that level.

Amir needed another year of seasoning. But probably realized he wouldn't be able to dominate the ball with Carr eligible.
Amir was god awful at times, and for long stretches I swear. I didn’t get the team dynamic at all that year he brought the ball up, the season after the fun one with Springs. Glad he made the dance of course, and that he’s had playing time here and there.

Bless up ya’ll. Nothin but love for this team. I just believe they are good in spite of the coach.

love the dynamic this year. It’s a big feeling even on the bandwagon.

Amir was dead weight at times (often?), and for long stretches I swear. I didn’t get the team dynamic at all that year he brought the ball up, the season after the fun one with Springs. Glad he made the dance of course, and that he’s had playing time here and there.

Bless up ya’ll. Nothin but love for this team. I just believe they are good in spite of the coach.

Love the team dynamic this year. It’s a big feeling, even on the bandwagon. Big boy plays, silly shots, but real weaponry too. And big dick energy slamma jammas. Assist game on point too. [/QUOTE]

Top Bottom