Dan Monson and LBSU in the tourney

zambam

Reaction score
Maybe Monson is just meant to coach at that level?

Congrats to Coach Monson. Hopefully they can win a game on top of it. Maybe a nice 4/13 match-up with Jon Voight and the boys?

I'm curious as to what seed they're going to be.

Congrats to Monson. I was very happy to see him go at the U, but also thought he'd resurrect himself at some point. Great win tonight for his new program. I'll be rooting for LBSU and Iowa State in the tourney.

Peter Principle at work before your eyes. Congrats to Monson and his LBSU squad.

Monson came to Minnesota a bachelor, got married and had 4 kids between 2001-2006. I often wonder if he was able to focus on basketball during his tenure at Minnesota. Not PC to mention this but we always hear what long hours coaches work.

I ran into Dan a few times on recruiting trips sitting in "first class" Pretty cool guy and very friendly. I think he did have alot of irons in the fire with a new wife and a bundle of kids. That being said, LBS is a perfect place for him. In a two block radius you probably have 100 D1 prospects.

One of my kids did an interview with Coach for a class at the "U". He was more than gracious about it and seemed to be interested in how she did in her class.

I think he is a "good guy" who came into a tough situation and did the best he could. I hope he does well in the Big Dance. Would't it be sweet if his team beat a team like the BADgers???!!!

Good Job coach Monson. and the best of luck to you. It is amazing that he is doing so well considering the struggles he had with the Gophers. It makes we wonder, was he that poor of a coach or is there something wrong with the U of M Athletic department? Seems as if Coach Molinary had a lot of success this year, Coach Smith consistently won at Kentucky, I hope the new AD figures all of this out and makes the necessary changes in culture that enables these coaches to succeed.

Monson came to Minnesota a bachelor, got married and had 4 kids between 2001-2006. I often wonder if he was able to focus on basketball during his tenure at Minnesota. Not PC to mention this but we always hear what long hours coaches work.

That is a slew of kids really quickly.

Dan's not a bad guy. He's a little socially awkward, but he's not a bad guy.

Dan's problem is pretty simple: Aside from a very short period of time at the beginning, he never really had a great recruiter on his staff. And he had too many guys on his staff who didn't have enough fire in their belly about recruiting. As a result, they didn't have enough good players. They had some good players, but not enough of them.

Dan also caught a couple of bad breaks. If Kevin Burleson doesn't throw the ball to the band at the end of that Illinois game, they go to the tournament.

I will always give Dan credit for cleaning things up. He didn't win enough games, but he cleaned up the mess, didn't get in trouble and got rid of guys who got in trouble.

I'm guessing he wishes he would have gone to Washington when he had the chance.

Dan's not a bad guy. He's a little socially awkward, but he's not a bad guy.

Dan's problem is pretty simple: Aside from a very short period of time at the beginning, he never really had a great recruiter on his staff. And he had too many guys on his staff who didn't have enough fire in their belly about recruiting. As a result, they didn't have enough good players. They had some good players, but not enough of them.

Dan also caught a couple of bad breaks. If Kevin Burleson doesn't throw the ball to the band at the end of that Illinois game, they go to the tournament.

I will always give Dan credit for cleaning things up. He didn't win enough games, but he cleaned up the mess, didn't get in trouble and got rid of guys who got in trouble.

I'm guessing he wishes he would have gone to Washington when he had the chance.

Losing Derek Thomas hurt, he was the recruiter I believe you are referring too. I also heard that Dan coached the team in jeans in his later years (not really hands on involved in the practices) and that his staff also lacked passion (the heckuva golfer references). I thought Dan was honest when he said he lost momentum and it was tough to ever get it back. He got unlucky with the Bauer/Bickerstaff injuries and the Illinois meltdown game you mentioned. I think the Kam Taylor/Lawrence Mckenzie situation was also a big issue. The staff decided to recruit McKenzie, lost him to OU and then Taylor went to Wisconsin and became a solid player for them. I think most saw the writing on the wall for Monson when he failed to land Krabbenhoft.

Losing Derek Thomas hurt, he was the recruiter I believe you are referring too. I also heard that Dan coached the team in jeans in his later years (not really hands on involved in the practices) and that his staff also lacked passion (the heckuva golfer references). I thought Dan was honest when he said he lost momentum and it was tough to ever get it back. He got unlucky with the Bauer/Bickerstaff injuries and the Illinois meltdown game you mentioned. I think the Kam Taylor/Lawrence Mckenzie situation was also a big issue. The staff decided to recruit McKenzie, lost him to OU and then Taylor went to Wisconsin and became a solid player for them. I think most saw the writing on the wall for Monson when he failed to land Krabbenhoft.

The Krabby situation was definitely a "jump the shark" moment.. as I believe you flipped out on Krabby when he informed Dan he was going to Wisky..of course, he did follow up and apologize I believe.. regardless, his nerves were shot by then.. .. I believe the "heckuva" golfer references were for Bill Walker (name?).. who was not a great assistant, but a "heckuva" golfer :) To bring things full circle back to Tubby, just as Dan imploded under the weight of bad luck and bad coaching, I am holding out hope that Tubby shows he does belong here by riding out the bad luck (injuries to key players and off the court issues by others) and poor decisions (Hoff, etc.) and doesn't fold under pressure, but stays the course. His current crops of players certainly has the ability to turn the program around to a NCCA team again.. although time will tell whether that will happen.

Peter Principle at work before your eyes. Congrats to Monson and his LBSU squad.

Very similar to the Alford situation. Does just OK at Big Ten school, but finds the going much easier in the mid-major ranks.

Dan was very good at Gonzaga. Very bad here. Very good at LBSU. Dan might get another big time job. I will judge him then. I have met him several times and he is a first rate guy. He came into a terrible situation here and did his best and put the program on solid ground academically and with a much better future. He brought in some excellent talent that unfortunately left early or his record would have been better. I hope he gets another job at a big tiem job and shows those that say he is a mid major coach that he is more than that.

Dan was very good at Gonzaga. Very bad here. Very good at LBSU. Dan might get another big time job. I will judge him then. I have met him several times and he is a first rate guy. He came into a terrible situation here and did his best and put the program on solid ground academically and with a much better future. He brought in some excellent talent that unfortunately left early or his record would have been better. I hope he gets another job at a big tiem job and shows those that say he is a mid major coach that he is more than that.

Maybe Monson should've had better judgement about incoming recruits and their intentions of staying in school? Just like Tubby should've known that Devoe would transfer three years down the road and Royce would've shoplifted and roughed up a security guard. You're a Monson apologist. Aren't you kinda calling the kettle black?

Maybe Monson should've had better judgement about incoming recruits and their intentions of staying in school? Just like Tubby should've known that Devoe would transfer three years down the road and Royce would've shoplifted and roughed up a security guard. You're a Monson apologist. Aren't you kinda calling the kettle black?

+ ∞!!!!!! This is hilarious! Tubby gets no excuses at all, but the Monson apologists are out in full force at every turn! You can't make it up! The hilarious thing is that, while I don't think Tubby will be in the HOF, he will unquestionably leave a better legacy than Monson, even if Monson coaches another 30 years. Why does Monson get to use all the excuses (probation, players leaving early for the draft, "helluva golfer", etc.) but Tubby gets nothing? I can think of one significant factor, but it's verboten to bring up on this board. It has something to do with the demographics boxes people check when they fill out forms.

+ ∞!!!!!! This is hilarious! Tubby gets no excuses at all, but the Monson apologists are out in full force at every turn! You can't make it up! The hilarious thing is that, while I don't think Tubby will be in the HOF, he will unquestionably leave a better legacy than Monson, even if Monson coaches another 30 years. Why does Monson get to use all the excuses (probation, players leaving early for the draft, "helluva golfer", etc.) but Tubby gets nothing? I can think of one significant factor, but it's verboten to bring up on this board. It has something to do with the demographics boxes people check when they fill out forms.

Were you posting when Monson was here? He got no breaks from the apologists. None. It was as hostile a time as I can remember on the Gopherhole.

Tubby currently gets railed on by a few cranks which escalates because there are pro-Tubby cranks who have to constantly "contrast" (deliberate choice of words) the anti-Tubby cranks.

By the way, I am fairly certain the same early adopters who wanted to get rid of Monson are the same ones who want to get rid of Tubby.

Were you posting when Monson was here? He got no breaks from the apologists. None. It was as hostile a time as I can remember on the Gopherhole.

Tubby currently gets railed on by a few cranks which escalates because there are pro-Tubby cranks who have to constantly "contrast" (deliberate choice of words) the anti-Tubby cranks.

By the way, I am fairly certain the same early adopters who wanted to get rid of Monson are the same ones who want to get rid of Tubby.

Agree. I expect to see them on the football side of the house screaming for Kill's head this Fall after every loss.

dpodoll68 said:

Congratulations for painting with a broad sweeping brush. I thought you were smarter than everyone. This post begs to differ.

Of course my opinion doesn't matter to you. I've only been reading all forms of Gopherhole for about 15 years and posting for about 10. You weren't on here during the Monson years, but you still know more. Congratulations again.

I said Dan was very bad here. When you say Tubby has been very bad here, there is hope for you as well.

minngg said:
I said Dan was very bad here. When you say Tubby has been very bad here, there is hope for you as well.
Blah Blah Blah...I hate Tubby....Blah Blah

Monson's firing was writing on the wall the day Steve Esselink announced he's leaving the program. You can't expect to be successful at the U when a dominant player like Esselink leaves for a d3 school in Sioux Falls.

Agree. I expect to see them on the football side of the house screaming for Kill's head this Fall after every loss.

Yeah, because a 5 year record is the same as screaming for someone's head after every game. Right? Hyperbole is all this is.

dpodoll68
GopherHole 2010 MVP

Originally Posted by WilliamsArenaGuy
I thought you were smarter than everyone.

I've never once said or insinuated that. Feel free to link to a post that will substantiate these claims.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by dpodoll68
What do you dislike about GopherHole?
Feeble-minded posters who think they are knowledgeable but are generally clueless. Cowardly posters who run their mouths and run away when they are called to the carpet. Agenda-driven posters who focus on the negative and don't deal in facts to spew their hatred. Terrible posters who use the annual survey as a forum to passively-aggressively voice their angst and despair over the fact that another poster is much, much better at this than they are - without having the balls to call out the poster by name, of course.

dpodoll68
GopherHole 2010 MVP

Originally Posted by WilliamsArenaGuy
I thought you were smarter than everyone.

I've never once said or insinuated that. Feel free to link to a post that will substantiate these claims.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by dpodoll68
What do you dislike about GopherHole?
Feeble-minded posters who think they are knowledgeable but are generally clueless. Cowardly posters who run their mouths and run away when they are called to the carpet. Agenda-driven posters who focus on the negative and don't deal in facts to spew their hatred. Terrible posters who use the annual survey as a forum to passively-aggressively voice their angst and despair over the fact that another poster is much, much better at this than they are - without having the balls to call out the poster by name, of course.

Huh? Where did I say or insinuate that I am smarter than everyone?

Top Bottom