Dan LeBatard is the boss

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
I have enjoyed Dan LeBatard’s sports writing and commentary for years and my one consistent sports radio listen is his show with Stugotz. Last week during ESPN’s latest round of cuts, Chris Cote, a producer and integral part of the show was laid off. On today’s show, LeBatard announced he was hiring Cote as his personal assistant and bumping his salary, while taking his shots at ESPN for how they handled the layoffs. I haven’t figured out yet how to link Twitter, but a guy named Kevin Draper has much of the text from LeBatard’s statement, it’s worth a read and was my daily dose of humanity today.

Uggghhhh... Really?

I would gladly take a look at that statement, could always use a good dose of humanity, especially in times like this. I appreciate the heads up and would love to take a look!

But good Lord, LeBatard is an awful, awful listen on the radio. Maybe he fills a void or niche that they are looking for in that time slot but it didn't take listening to him for longer than a week to dump that show. I think he was much better years ago, when he was younger, but has perhaps been reading too many of his own headlines in recent years, thinking awfully highly of himself. He's far, FAR from what he was when he was moving up the chain.

Honestly, I really like Highly Questionable, but not a fan of the radio show.

Last edited:

Come on, coolhand. I almost always love your takes and you're one of the few 'above reproach' posters on the board but LeBetard is a buffoon and the drop-off from what Cowherd was carrying for that network to what he's doing is astronomical, and this is from someone who isn't nearly the fan of Cowherd the last 4-6 months as I used to be.

That being said, with the direction that ESPN has gone in the last handful of years, in all fairness, LeBatard is probably exactly what they want. And if that's what the want, who am I to argue?

is the man’s name really dan the bastard?

Highly Questionable is OK at best. I could just care less about the shtick with his father on the show as "comedic" relief.

Come on, coolhand. I almost always love your takes and you're one of the few 'above reproach' posters on the board but LeBetard is a buffoon and the drop-off from what Cowherd was carrying for that network to what he's doing is astronomical, and this is from someone who isn't nearly the fan of Cowherd the last 4-6 months as I used to be.

That being said, with the direction that ESPN has gone in the last handful of years, in all fairness, LeBatard is probably exactly what they want. And if that's what the want, who am I to argue?

Colin Cowherd? "This is my heartfelt, hot, hot take and next week I will state the exact opposite of it 'cuz I'm edgy".

Nobody can be a drop-off from Cowherd. Not even Jim Rome.

Well, Smith, Skip, and Shannon maybe. :unsure:

Make it a push.

Last edited:

Ogee, this is an area (and if I spent time on the other off-topic board, I know there'd be plenty more) where we differ. I believe you're a big fan of Clay Travis, who I find to the biggest tool going in regards to sports radio talk out there.

I can understand where LeBatard is not everyone's cup of tea. I find him and Stugotz and the entire crew to be a nice balance of sports, pop culture, and nonsense in a radio show. I"ve long ago given up the hot take artists and I enjoy the irreverence that LeBatard and Stugotz provide. They also bring on a lot of other guests/semi-regulars whose voices and points of views I find refreshing and interesting to listen to.

Ogee, this is an area (and if I spent time on the other off-topic board, I know there'd be plenty more) where we differ. I believe you're a big fan of Clay Travis, who I find to the biggest tool going in regards to sports radio talk out there.

I can understand where LeBatard is not everyone's cup of tea. I find him and Stugotz and the entire crew to be a nice balance of sports, pop culture, and nonsense in a radio show. I"ve long ago given up the hot take artists and I enjoy the irreverence that LeBatard and Stugotz provide. They also bring on a lot of other guests/semi-regulars whose voices and points of views I find refreshing and interesting to listen to.
I still have no doubt we would still get along famously!

LeBatard, at the risk of remotely turning this conversation in that direction, he lets his political stripes show just a little too much for me. It's just not something I want or need in my sports, at least not at every turn. I've all but dumped ESPN in my house and ESPN used to be on in the background pretty much every minute in the house when I wasn't watching something. Now I leave it on the NFL Channel. Where ESPN is right now with their programming and culture, I have no doubt LeBatard fits right in.

I don't know that I'd say I'm a HUGE Travis fan. I first heard the show on my hunting trip 3 years ago I think, listened a little bit, and then let it go. IT was okay, it just didn't strike a chord enough at the time. Lifelong Herd fan, I just went back to listening and watching Cowherd.

Somewhere in the spring, can't recall if it was around the same time or not, I ditched Cowherd almost entirely when he took a pretty dramatic SJW turn on the show. Granted, not much sports was happening at the time, but I unsubscribed a lot of my devices at the time from Herd. Again, I choose to separate those two parts of my entertainment or attention.

Around that time, for whatever reason, picked up Outkick again and yes, I really enjoy it, but more from an entertainment standpoint. I would say listening to Travis for me is 80% entertainment related and 20% actual sports content. He's funny, I like his sense of humor, and in all honesty, since he's added Jason Whitlock as a partner on the show and the venture, they have been a very good combination. I certainly don't listen to Travis 3 hours a day, every day, but it's one show that I'll listen to. For podcasts, I will usually turn first to MMQB, Around The NFL, Moving the Sticks, et al before I exhaust those and try Herd or Outkick.

We won't agree on this; you lean a little left, I lean a little right, but I'm a huge fan of yours and what you contribute to the board, especially since you go back about as long as I do here. Keep up the good work!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!!

I still have no doubt we would still get along famously!

LeBatard, at the risk of remotely turning this conversation in that direction, he lets his political stripes show just a little too much for me. It's just not something I want or need in my sports, at least not at every turn. I've all but dumped ESPN in my house and ESPN used to be on in the background pretty much every minute in the house when I wasn't watching something. Now I leave it on the NFL Channel. Where ESPN is right now with their programming and culture, I have no doubt LeBatard fits right in.

I don't know that I'd say I'm a HUGE Travis fan. I first heard the show on my hunting trip 3 years ago I think, listened a little bit, and then let it go. IT was okay, it just didn't strike a chord enough at the time. Lifelong Herd fan, I just went back to listening and watching Cowherd.

Somewhere in the spring, can't recall if it was around the same time or not, I ditched Cowherd almost entirely when he took a pretty dramatic SJW turn on the show. Granted, not much sports was happening at the time, but I unsubscribed a lot of my devices at the time from Herd. Again, I choose to separate those two parts of my entertainment or attention.

Around that time, for whatever reason, picked up Outkick again and yes, I really enjoy it, but more from an entertainment standpoint. I would say listening to Travis for me is 80% entertainment related and 20% actual sports content. He's funny, I like his sense of humor, and in all honesty, since he's added Jason Whitlock as a partner on the show and the venture, they have been a very good combination. I certainly don't listen to Travis 3 hours a day, every day, but it's one show that I'll listen to. For podcasts, I will usually turn first to MMQB, Around The NFL, Moving the Sticks, et al before I exhaust those and try Herd or Outkick.

We won't agree on this; you lean a little left, I lean a little right, but I'm a huge fan of yours and what you contribute to the board, especially since you go back about as long as I do here. Keep up the good work!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!!
This is why I'm glad we have this board-you're right, in person, we'd probably get along fabulously, as long as we avoided politics and you weren't too insistent on traditional weddings and Christmas celebrations being a sham ;-).

When thinking about sports radio, I think this is just indicative of how certain styles really click for some and not for others. For a long time, I was a big fan of Jim Rome's show-when I was back home a couple years ago, I tried tuning in and I wondered how I could ever have listened to it in passing, much less with devotion. Cowherd never did anything for me, except make me roll my eyes; I have buddies who swear by Dan Patrick, who I find to be. . .fine, but nothing more than that. Similar to Greenburg and Golic back in the day.

This is why I'm glad we have this board-you're right, in person, we'd probably get along fabulously, as long as we avoided politics and you weren't too insistent on traditional weddings and Christmas celebrations being a sham ;-).

When thinking about sports radio, I think this is just indicative of how certain styles really click for some and not for others. For a long time, I was a big fan of Jim Rome's show-when I was back home a couple years ago, I tried tuning in and I wondered how I could ever have listened to it in passing, much less with devotion. Cowherd never did anything for me, except make me roll my eyes; I have buddies who swear by Dan Patrick, who I find to be. . .fine, but nothing more than that. Similar to Greenburg and Golic back in the day.
Well said.

OH! And my only issue with traditional weddings is that I can't understand why people spend the money, and in many cases a LOT of money. Married Mrs Ogee at a drive-thru in Vegas at about midnight (ironically after attending the birthday party of some gay and trans friends of ours!), standing up through the moonroof of the car, the man at the window performing the service was a nice hispanic man names Jesus so we tell everyone we got married by Jesus, as in JC, so the wedding was super legit!

I tell anyone and everyone I can, get married at the drive thru, $55 I think, the story is great and people love it, and we didn't waste $5k, $10k, $20k on a day, money that you'll never get back. Never figured that one out.

Here you go Ogee:

ESPN, Dan Le Batard parting ways in January

Jan. 4 will be the final day of The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz, as well as the last day Le Batard will host his last episode of Highly Questionable – which will remain on ESPN. “It was mutually agreed that it was best for both sides to move on to new opportunities and we worked together closely to make that possible..

Here you go Ogee:

ESPN, Dan Le Batard parting ways in January

Jan. 4 will be the final day of The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz, as well as the last day Le Batard will host his last episode of Highly Questionable – which will remain on ESPN. “It was mutually agreed that it was best for both sides to move on to new opportunities and we worked together closely to make that possible..

This has been rumored for quite a while. Dan becoming increasingly upset about how things are run at ESPN and how they've handled his show and treated his staff. ESPN continues to be a grease fire out of control

This has been rumored for quite a while. Dan becoming increasingly upset about how things are run at ESPN and how they've handled his show and treated his staff. ESPN continues to be a grease fire out of control

Yep. They mentioned that in the story. Looks like you may be able to read it even without a subscription.

"..once John Skipper, the former ESPN president with whom Le Batard was close with and who signed him to a long-term deal, resigned from ESPN in Dec. 2017. The company has spent the last year reducing Le Batard's airtime.

What is his legacy at ESPN?
Deitsch: Le Batard’s biggest legacy at ESPN will be that he was willing to share his star and standing at the company to give younger talents airtime, such as Bomani Jones, Mina Kimes, Pablo Torre and Katie Nolan. He built up a very loyal following among the staffers that worked with him."..

I’m going to be very interested in seeing where he goes from here-they (the LeBatard crew) definitely have something cooking, just a matter of time before it’s announced. As was mentioned by Deitsch, one of the things I really enjoy about the show was how he advanced fresh voices such as Kimes, Jones, Dominique Foxworth, Sarah Spain and many others. The nature of his show allowed their personalities to shine.

It would be nice to know exactly what the riff was.

Top Bottom