[Dan Hope Twitter] According to Ohio State AD Gene Smith, the B1G will no longer schedule conference games more than a year in advance.

not scheduling games in advance = don't want to have to re-do the schedules when the B1G adds more teams.

I have a hard time believing they'll go to a 10-game conference schedule. some teams need those 3 non-conf games to be bowl-eligible.
"Bowl-eligibility" could be modified greatly with the advent of a 16 team playoff as could the entire "Bowl System".

Will be shocked if the divisions are still around next season. Not scheduling conference games more than a year out isn't that big of a deal.

Not sure how I feel about the 10 game conference schedule. In a sport without a preseason those tuneup games have some value. If they do go to 10 conference games I would think that would put an end to most teams playing a power 5 team in non-conf as teams would just try and load up on cupcakes.

Wonder if the conference would buy teams out of their non-conf games that are already scheduled in order to go to 10 conf games. I know a lot of non-conf games are scheduled years in advance.

I get some of the complications with adding new teams.

But year to year schedules is a setup for politics and infighting ...
Not necessarily, they could essentially set up a set of rules for the scheduling tied to the previous years conference rankings, travel distances, etc that could still avoid any favoritism or politics while still being year to year.

Plus I think most teams will like home and home series with their opponents, so I could see this collapsing into still knowing most of the schedule 2 years out, but a couple of games you don't know until the end of the season.

The talk about moving to 10 conference games has to be for if we go to 20 teams, but with 9 games you play the 4 in your pod and then rotate through all the other 5 team pods. you play each other team at least once home and away in 6 years. The only scheduling rotation that fits into 10 conference games nicely is one protected game and rotate all the others, you would play every team home and away in 4 years. Enough schools have 2 teams they want to play every year that I can't imagine that happening...

10 conference games only makes sense if final games are "pod" play in games. SEC and B1G will create 4 pods and have champions play each other to determine championship game. Other teams that week play similarly ranked teams in other pods.

The NFL has divisions. The SEC has divisions.

The conferences that are being decimated don’t have divisions.

not scheduling games in advance = don't want to have to re-do the schedules when the B1G adds more teams.

I have a hard time believing they'll go to a 10-game conference schedule. some teams need those 3 non-conf games to be bowl-eligible.
If the big ten leaves the ncaa the rules will change

One minor thing with 9 vs 10, is that 10 gets you an even 5 home/5 away each year. Not that big of a deal, but does even it out.

It does make rotating evenly among the remaining teams (not locked in) a bit harder (if talking 5 years or less).

With 16 teams and 10 conf games, you can do:
0 annual locked-in, 10 remaining games = rotate remaining 15 teams every 3 years

With 18 teams and 10 conf games, you can do:
3 annual locked-in, 7 remaining games = rotate remaining 14 teams every 2 years

With 20 teams and 10 conf games, you can do:
1 annual locked-in, 9 remaining games = rotate remaining 18 teams every 2 years

Last edited:

One minor thing with 9 vs 10, is that 10 gets you an even 5 home/5 away each year. Not that big of a deal, but does even it out.

It does make rotating evenly among the remaining teams (not locked in) a bit harder (if talking 5 years or less).

With 16 teams and 10 conf games, you can do:
0 annual locked-in, 10 remaining games = rotate remaining 15 teams every 3 years

With 18 teams and 10 conf games, you can do:
0 annual locked-in, 10 remaining games = rotate remaining 18 teams every 5 years
3 annual locked-in, 7 remaining games = rotate remaining 14 teams every 2 years

With 20 teams and 10 conf games, you can do:
1 annual locked-in, 9 remaining games = rotate remaining 18 teams every 2 years
With no divisions 8 or 10 is much fairer. Or you have teams competing to be top 2 in the conference and half the teams have fewer home games than the other half.

I think the big ten is going to end up doing 5 locks.
Rotate the other 10 home and home every 4 years.

Obviously for Minnesota, we just cannot accept a system giving less than Wisc and Iowa both locked in every year.

Had not thought about 5-5-5 format, that does certainly work as well.
And in the big ten…rivalries important enough to have 5 locks for everyone.
And having 5 locks reduces permutations where there are 3 unbeatens or 3 one loss teams who haven’t played each other at the end of the year.

5 locks tougher in an 18 team league.

Obviously for Minnesota, we just cannot accept a system giving less than Wisc and Iowa both locked in every year.
Yeah. I don’t think MN would vote yes on a system with less than 2 locks. I think that’s true of Michigan (Michigan state and Michigan)
I think Wisconsin and Iowa both want to play each other every year (they were pissed when they didn’t during legends and leaders)

At 20 conf teams, you could have 4 locked-in and play the remaining 15 teams twice in 5 years. (6 remaining games per year * 5 years = 30 games)

At 20 conf teams, you could have 4 locked-in and play the remaining 15 teams twice in 5 years. (6 remaining games per year * 5 years = 30 games)
I think the numbers make more sense for 4 or 5 locked opponents than 1-2
It makes balanced scheduling easier and it probably better for fans.

Especially if more west coast teams are added. They want those west teams playing those west teams.

Last edited:

One down side to having 10 conference games is its highly likely that with rare exceptions, the days of Big Ten non-conference road games would be a thing of the past. Each team would get five home conference games, and most schools rely on seven home games for revenue, so the likelihood of road games in the NC would not be very appealing for most. Time will tell, but road trips to Boulder, Starkville, or Chapel Hill would go the way of the Dodo if this happens.

One down side to having 10 conference games is its highly likely that with rare exceptions, the days of Big Ten non-conference road games would be a thing of the past. Each team would get five home conference games, and most schools rely on seven home games for revenue, so the likelihood of road games in the NC would not be very appealing for most. Time will tell, but road trips to Boulder, Starkville, or Chapel Hill would go the way of the Dodo if this happens.
Great point.

Yeah, unless the "P group" (whatever form that takes) agrees to mandate 12 P games per year, in which case it would be 6/6. Would probably allow something like a "preseason" game against the "G group" to get that 7th home game (required to be purchased with season tickets, etc.)

The teams that will favor at least 2 locked in games:

Minnesota (Iowa, Wisconsin)
Iowa (Minnesota, Wisconsin)
Wisconsin (Minnesota, Iowa)
Michigan (OSU, MSU)
Michigan St (Michigan, PSU)
OSU (Michigan, PSU)
Penn St (OSU, MSU)

In fact, Nebraska would probably favor 3 (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa).

What if they go to 13 games? I feel like everything is on the table now.

Going to 10 conference games would pretty much eliminate any good non-conference match-ups. No one will want to play 11 Power 5 opponents and everyone would still want to have at least 7 home games every season.

The teams that will favor at least 2 locked in games:

Minnesota (Iowa, Wisconsin)
Iowa (Minnesota, Wisconsin)
Wisconsin (Minnesota, Iowa)
Michigan (OSU, MSU)
Michigan St (Michigan, PSU)
OSU (Michigan, PSU)
Penn St (OSU, MSU)

In fact, Nebraska would probably favor 3 (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa).
Nice list. Illini would want NW protected, and Purdue vs Indiana is a pretty big one as well. Can't really think of a big second one for either.

That’s true but there will be road games to Los Angeles, oregon, boulder potentially

I think the addition of two western quasi-powers gives East/West new life.

We'll see where future expansion goes, but it's a decent bet they just slide Purdue east and put USC and UCLA in the West as it stands.

I think the addition of two western quasi-powers gives East/West new life.

We'll see where future expansion goes, but it's a decent bet they just slide Purdue east and put USC and UCLA in the West as it stands.
I see the end of divisions

Top Bottom