Damar Hamlin

Same reason the Twins played on when the bridge collapsed in 2007. The authorities asked them to please play. They did not need 20,000 extra people trying to leave the area right then.

As for the whole "You have 5 minutes to warm up" many are so indignant about, there's no indication anyone in authority ever said they were going to re-start. Probably some poor NFL staffer told ESPN what the normal procedure would be if there is a significant delay and they went with it.
That's right about the bridge, forgot about that. Really close to the HHH Dome, had to be jarring for fans at the game that had just crossed the same bridge.

I would agree about the 5 minutes thing. I'm not sure why someone from the NFL didn't straighten ESPN out, but maybe they were concerned with other matters.

Scott Van Pelt made it very clear the NFL was trying to make those guys play in 5 minutes.

Why do they need to add an 8th play-off team? Just seed by by winning %. This isn't that complicated.
Make up for the money lost due to the cancelled game? I don't know. Seems odd.

Also a bummer for the Vikings as they are now sitting as the #3 seed and the proposed format would be to give the Top 2 byes. I guess it gives the Bengals & Bills a chance for a Bye, whereas the "No Contest" could shut them out if KC won and it was only based on winning percentage.

Make up for the money lost due to the cancelled game? I don't know. Seems odd.

Also a bummer for the Vikings as they are now sitting as the #3 seed and the proposed format would be to give the Top 2 byes. I guess it gives the Bengals & Bills a chance for a Bye, whereas the "No Contest" could shut them out if KC won and it was only based on winning percentage.
What $ lost? ESPN's ratings on Monday were probably higher than any game all year. I doubt they'll ask for any adjustment. As for the Bengals, the league can surely make them whole if they give fans a refund. I doubt they actually alter the play-offs this late in the game.

What $ lost? ESPN's ratings on Monday were probably higher than any game all year. I doubt they'll ask for any adjustment. As for the Bengals, the league can surely make them whole if they give fans a refund. I doubt they actually alter the play-offs this late in the game.
It was just a guess. Did ESPN still run commercials? I know they did for a little while, just don't remember if they did through when SportsCenter was supposed to air.

Why do they need to add an 8th play-off team? Just seed by by winning %. This isn't that complicated.
Something is not adding up with an 8th team or I'm just not getting it. If the Top 2 got byes, then it would be:

8 @ 3
7 @ 4
6 @ 5

3 winners and then 5 teams left. Would #1 get another bye and AFC/NFC Championships played over Pro Bowl weekend?

Something is not adding up with an 8th team or I'm just not getting it. If the Top 2 got byes, then it would be:

8 @ 3
7 @ 4
6 @ 5

3 winners and then 5 teams left. Would #1 get another bye and AFC/NFC Championships played over Pro Bowl weekend?
True. I haven't seen details. I can't imagine giving anyone a buy to the Championship game, so you'd have to add a round and have #5/8 and #6/7 play to get down to 6.

8 @ 3
7 @ 4
6 @ 5

It would be 8 teams, no byes.

The reason is that Buffalo had a shot at the top seed, and the NFL does not want KC having the first seed because they played one more game.

It would be 8 teams, no byes.

The reason is that Buffalo had a shot at the top seed, and the NFL does not want KC having the first seed because they played one more game.
The original article mentioned Top 2 in each conference would get byes. It has since been updated, there's no mention of an 8th playoff team even.

The latest thing I have heard if that the AFC Championship has a combination of Cincy, KC, & Buffalo, it will be played at a neutral site (I'm betting Indy).

Apparently he was facetiming with his teammates this morning.

The latest thing I have heard if that the AFC Championship has a combination of Cincy, KC, & Buffalo, it will be played at a neutral site (I'm betting Indy).
Seems like the solution will be a disadvantage to the Bengals.

More importantly regarding Hamlin:

"The Bills announced Friday that Hamlin had been taken off a breathing tube" and had begun talking with his care team, family and teammates."

I'm guessing the Bills kick-off return against the Patriots is going to be in the Hollywood movie of the Hamlin story.

Really cool to see all the gestures around the league in support of him. Fantastic to see the progress he's made, hope he gets to go home soon.

I'm guessing the Bills kick-off return against the Patriots is going to be in the Hollywood movie of the Hamlin story.

Really cool to see all the gestures around the league in support of him. Fantastic to see the progress he's made, hope he gets to go home soon.
Hamlin is not "home" exactly, but was released from the Cincinnati hospital to one in the Buffalo area.

Top Bottom