Da'Jon McKnight

Silvio

Reaction score
He made a couple great touchdown catches against WI. With his 1+ remaining year of eligibility left what can we expect of his as a gopher? If/when MG is the QB next year he will be he #1 WR on the team for sure. Will he have a chance the be considered the best WR in the BigTen and a potential 1st or 2nd round draft pick?

With his limited time playing football in High School is the sky the limit with him? How much of his improvement can be traced to the new WR coach?

Here is one example of a player being much better than recruiting services evaluated him. How much of this can be attributed to McKnight, coaches, or luck?

Mr. Weber got the ball to him in a position so that he could make a play...

He was given a chance to make the plays on both catches.

Will Mr. Gray be the qb next year? I don't think we know that. He may be a wide receiver trying to make plays on the ball if the qb can get the ball to him in a position for him to make plays on the pass.

If Mr. Gray does play some qb, do we know how well he will throw the ball, make the reads or what kind of routes the receivers will run? They must be precise routes so that he can know where the receivers are supposed to be if he is the qb. And, he will need a decent offensive line and a good running game to help keep defensive ends and blitzers off him.

Who knows which players are going to make major contributions? Certainly, recruiting ranking stars aren't the "be all and end all" contributing factors to actual success. Having a coach who knows what he wants to do would be a start. Sticking with the plan would also help. Having stability with assistant coaches and coordinators would also be a very important part of the equation. And, having actual EXPERIENCE as a head coach certainly would be nice.

There may be many questions...and there certainly are very few, if any concrete answers at this point in time. If you wish to make guesses, fine. Your guess is certainly just as good as mine!

; 0 )

He made a couple great touchdown catches against WI. With his 1+ remaining year of eligibility left what can we expect of his as a gopher? If/when MG is the QB next year he will be he #1 WR on the team for sure. Will he have a chance the be considered the best WR in the BigTen and a potential 1st or 2nd round draft pick?

With his limited time playing football in High School is the sky the limit with him? How much of his improvement can be traced to the new WR coach?

Here is one example of a player being much better than recruiting services evaluated him. How much of this can be attributed to McKnight, coaches, or luck?

The kids got talent, what can you say?
He's really starting to look and act the part, nice adjustments in the air, catching the ball at it's highest point, maintaining control through the catch.
I have to think the new coach(yes, I think it's a done deal) will lean on the offensive skill players next season. Mcknight's got prototypical size, good speed, and excellent leaping ability. Add in that he's being coached by a former NFL WR coach, he'll be the next Gopher drafted.

Great question! McKnight is a very gifted athlete that could excell at any sport (including hockey) if he wanted. He was part of the Skyline package, so some was a result of good recruiting and some luck. We've taken some other chances that haven't panned out.

McKnight could eventually mature into a "game-changer", but I do not put him on par yet with Decker. He still has some trouble with routes and the technicals of the game, but each week he gets better. My guess is he'll be a captain next year if he continues with his progress and leadership.

Brewster et al seems to do well with certain athletes in development (last year's linebacking corp), but seems to lack the know how to get a team to gel. We've had some golden moments, but for each golden moment, we get 10 "Dohs!".

An example of a huge DOH, was last week's extra point attempt after the first touchdown. That was about as bad as I've ever seen.

He was given a chance to make the plays on both catches.

Will Mr. Gray be the qb next year? I don't think we know that. He may be a wide receiver trying to make plays on the ball if the qb can get the ball to him in a position for him to make plays on the pass.

If Mr. Gray does play some qb, do we know how well he will throw the ball, make the reads or what kind of routes the receivers will run? They must be precise routes so that he can know where the receivers are supposed to be if he is the qb. And, he will need a decent offensive line and a good running game to help keep defensive ends and blitzers off him.

Who knows which players are going to make major contributions? Certainly, recruiting ranking stars aren't the "be all and end all" contributing factors to actual success. Having a coach who knows what he wants to do would be a start. Sticking with the plan would also help. Having stability with assistant coaches and coordinators would also be a very important part of the equation. And, having actual EXPERIENCE as a head coach certainly would be nice.

There may be many questions...and there certainly are very few, if any concrete answers at this point in time. If you wish to make guesses, fine. Your guess is certainly just as good as mine!

; 0 )

Either stay on topic or take your dislike for Brew and MG somewhere else.

He's good. Reminds me a bit of Thelwell. I wish he had been red-shirted, because he's got a ton of raw talent.

This is a good case in point that position coaches coach the players, the head coach puts in the schemes and his philosophy, but the kids are coached by position coaches and we have a good rec. coach. And a terrible Def. Coord.

I'm not sure how I can judge his talent since someone who wouldn't start on the local middle school team is throwing to him.

(Did I do that right?).

I'm not sure how I can judge his talent since someone who wouldn't start on the local middle school team is throwing to him.

(Did I do that right?).

The AW bashers will say yes, but that is unacceptable in this thread. I believe you know enough to judge his talent.

Top Bottom