Dain Dainja in portal. Would fill in nicely for PP!

He has now spurned the home state school 3 times. The grass is not always greener.

Why would you want to play for Penny? He could have done better, even if coming home wasn't in his plans.

They have 7 active players in the NBA this season. That's not bad for a non-major that hasn't exactly been blazing the last 10 years.

I would never want to live in Memphis although it's kind of a fun place to visit.

They have 7 active players in the NBA this season. That's not bad for a non-major that hasn't exactly been blazing the last 10 years.

I would never want to live in Memphis although it's kind of a fun place to visit.
Thus the conclusion that Penny does less with more. That much talent should win more games.

Thus the conclusion that Penny does less with more. That much talent should win more games.
I remember there being a lot of buzz when he was hired. Hasn't done poorly at Memphis but also hasn't really elevated their program either.

One could argue we can't tell if the above is an accurate statement. Most people would tend to agree that the era of winning with true freshmen rosters is over (see Coach Cal's struggles), and with players staying longer in school due to NIL, rosters are getting older...not younger. Penny is an elite recruiter (HS and portal)...but he only really gets 1 year out of those elite recruits...

Penny has had a list of extremely talented 1 and done players at Memphis, some of which didn't really play for him:

-James Wiseman (NCAA banned him after a few games) 2nd pick 2020 draft
-Precious Achiuwa - another 1 and done in 2020 - 20th pick in 2020 draft 15.8pts per game
- Josh Minot, played 15 minutes a game as a freshman, 6.6pts...and then got drafted late in the 2nd round by the wolves (this had to be a surprise to Penny) 2022 draft 45th pick
-Jalen Duren (another 1 and done 13th pick in 2022 draft)
-Emoni Bates, really struggled after reclassifying, then transferred to Eastern Michigan. After 1 year at Eastern Michigan, he got drafted in the 2nd round (49th pick 2023 draft) by the Cleveland Cavs (putting up big points in the G-League) - had a nice gun charge

I enjoyed the BBQ and Blues music there, but that's about it. Team always seems in disarray despite the talent, referring to all the arguments you see on the bench.

giphy.gif

Lot of free publicity for $25 million. Perhaps 3M/Target Best Buy /Cargill/United Healthcare are paying attention.
Not likely. And super hard to quantify the value of throwing money at players you don’t even know. Major cultural difference between here and there. Fed Ex gets huge good will from the locals. Only a small group of dedicated fans will care here. I look forward to some analysis on the benefit corporations get for this kind of sponsorship. My guess is probably not much north of the Mason Dixon line.

Not likely. And super hard to quantify the value of throwing money at players you don’t even know. Major cultural difference between here and there. Fed Ex gets huge good will from the locals. Only a small group of dedicated fans will care here. I look forward to some analysis on the benefit corporations get for this kind of sponsorship. My guess is probably not much north of the Mason Dixon line.
It's not about the specific players. National social media attention, ESPN, local attention from the Star Tribune etc are worth something.

The Memphis administration is probably begging FedEx...etc.

Do you think the Minnesota administration would try to do something like that?

Top Bottom