Dain Dainja in portal. Would fill in nicely for PP!

Otis

Reaction score
This would make the loss of PP almost a happy unpleasantry. I hope he wants to come home!

Hawkins
Mitchell
Christie
Garcia
Dainja

Would be an extremely formidable lineup, hopefully with Morgan and Fox backing up front.

Last edited:

Dainja would be a huge get but feels like a pipe dream. He's had multiple opportunities to play for the Gophers if he wanted and has not even though he's a legacy. Hard to believe we meet his standards unless he is only looking for playing time and a starting spot. That we can certainly offer.

This after Underwood was complaining about the portal being open during the tournament 😬

Dainja would be a huge get but feels like a pipe dream. He's had multiple opportunities to play for the Gophers if he wanted and has not even though he's a legacy. Hard to believe we meet his standards unless he is only looking for playing time and a starting spot. That we can certainly offer.
And revenge against Illinois who criminally underplayed him during the season.

The guy is a great banger and has some nice moves under the basket. In just the few games I saw him in the BTT, it was pretty clear he played in favorable match up situations. If he has to guard someone on the perimeter, he’s toast. If he can guard someone without perimeter skills, he’s fine. To me, it looked like Illinois played him in situations he would likely to succeed. That’s good management.

Bring him in and bring Payne back. I would be dreaming of days of Courtney James and John Thomas

Don't hold your breath. We have yet to see a player under this coach who has withdrawn from the portal and returned. It's not just this coach. Players who withdraw from the portal are a very small minority and I'd guess that among players who receive a lot of attention, virtually none.

In a perfect world, the portal would be like a menu, and the price would be listed next to each item.....I mean player.

just put it in black and white - I want $500,000 in NIL, etc.

save everybody a lot of time and effort to keep them from shopping for something or someone they can't afford.

I'm only being slightly sarcastic here. that is where college hoops is at now. Why not be honest about it?

that way, if you're a good but not great player, you could advertise that you're available at a lower cost and probably get a lot of offers from schools like MN that can't match the Big Boys in spending.

What was up with his decrease in playing time and production this season? Only 10 minutes per game.
His game logs are all over the place in terms of minutes. Some games it looks like he barely touched the court and in others he was out there for 20+. Later in the season his usage definitely went up.

What was up with his decrease in playing time and production this season? Only 10 minutes per game.
I love Dain, but his game did not fit the style Illinois played this year. He clogs the lane.
No, they didn’t. Dain didn’t fit the offense or defense. He couldn’t guard in space. On offense, he clogs the lane. Illinois had Domask playing booty ball and Shannon slashing. Dain was in the way. Hawkins played center and stretched the floor. Illinois won 29 games, a Big Ten tourney title, and got to the Elite 8 playing Dain in spots where he could help.

I love Dain. He was in the wrong offense for his skills. Good kid. Good teammate. Hope he gets a big payday.

Top Bottom