Daily article today: Big Promises, Little Progress

No reason to click on this. It's just another article where the Daily is going after Tubby again for another mediocre Big Ten season. He's had to deal with a lot of unexpected trouble.

Only a real Tubby hater would enjoy posting or reading this. :eek:

No reason to click on this. It's just another article where the Daily is going after Tubby again for another mediocre Big Ten season. He's had to deal with a lot of unexpected trouble.

Only a real Tubby hater would enjoy posting or reading this. :eek:

Oh I see what you're trying to do here :)

if tubby ran his mouth nonstop about winning the big ten and had a new staff every year with a new offensive system he would be taking the same amount of heat

if tubby ran his mouth nonstop about winning the big ten and had a new staff every year with a new offensive system he would be taking the same amount of heat

I don't want to start this pissing match up again but why in the hell should that make a difference? Mediocre results are mediocre results.

true, but the last 2 years the basketball program has had positive progress, this year they have regressed and its disappointing no doubt, but almost all of the struggles can be attributed to the 3 suspensions and the turmoil and frustration its caused on the team. Its also hard for the media to give tubby heat after the first bump in the road especially considering his track record. The football team under brewster had the worst season in school history and this year was beyond frustrating to watch, but I think the reason brewster takes so much heat is because hes an easy target for the media because of how much he runs his mouth, I believe the talent here is vastly improved and am excited to see how it plays out on the field with the schedule we have next year. I just think thats why the media attacks brewster.

true, but the last 2 years the basketball program has had positive progress, this year they have regressed and its disappointing no doubt, but almost all of the struggles can be attributed to the 3 suspensions and the turmoil and frustration its caused on the team. Its also hard for the media to give tubby heat after the first bump in the road especially considering his track record. The football team under brewster had the worst season in school history and this year was beyond frustrating to watch, but I think the reason brewster takes so much heat is because hes an easy target for the media because of how much he runs his mouth, I believe the talent here is vastly improved and am excited to see how it plays out on the field with the schedule we have next year. I just think thats why the media attacks brewster.

Completely agree on why Brewster gets the heat while Tubby doesn't. I just think that it is fundamentally unfair.

Oh I see what you're trying to do here :)

Yeah after reading carh1981 posts, one had to assume that he would only bring an article that would slander Coach Smith. As I stated, there's no reason to even click on that kind of shoddy journalism. :)

The title is a little misleading. For the most part, I think the article is fair on Brewster.

As a whole, I think it's a really good write-up. They have a mix of responses from Maturi, current and former players, as well as some candid comments from a Junior College coach.

Amazing how quickly a thread turns into personal attacks on here.

For me, this article was more about the inability of Joel Maturi to keep his mouth shut. In one article, Maturi compared Gopher football to the Cubs, claimed that Tim Brewster was the best coach available at the time and publicly predicted a 6-6 finish for the team prior to the 2009 season. Wow. There are no other words. Just wow.

For me, this article was more about the inability of Joel Maturi to keep his mouth shut. In one article, Maturi compared Gopher football to the Cubs, claimed that Tim Brewster was the best coach available at the time and publicly predicted a 6-6 finish for the team prior to the 2009 season. Wow. There are no other words. Just wow.

As Rittenburg said when he linked to it off his blog today, these are "candid" remarks. Whatever happens in the future one thing is for sure...this man's future is not in politics.

Yeah, suprisingly enough, the article is quite fair.

Now, about the title of both the article and the post; not so much.

Interest article.

Without question Amir Pinnix is a classy guy with a big future.

In a way this article shows how petty and critical the Minnesota fan base and media can be. I have never heard anyone question recruiting costs before. Maturi was correct to hammer that nial down by mentioning football makes money.

I have no idea what Iowa spends but know that it never comes up in the discussion.

I have no idea what Iowa spends but know that it never comes up in the discussion.

I was reading something off BHGP and actually saw these numbers. Their recruiting costs dropped from the mid $300,000 to $200,000 and change this season. I'll add the citation if I can find it.

In a way this article shows how petty and critical the Minnesota fan base and media can be. I have never heard anyone question recruiting costs before. Maturi was correct to hammer that nial down by mentioning football makes money.

Seriously? The article is pretty good and fair. Is it not fair to question that the U is making a much bigger investment in recruiting and getting poor results for the investment? If we've more than doubled the recruiting budget and hired a recruiting guru, raising the issue that the results are matching the expectations is a fair and valid point. There is nothing petty or overly critical about this article. It actually stands out in the environment that is Minnesota "journalism" as an example of what it should be.

article comments

I thought it was a very fair article, and pretty much right on the money.

isnt it worse that tubby hasnt said anything about winning titles, nothing about trying to recruit the best, and having a stable core of coaches?

if you ask me tubby has failed to this point 20 times worse than brewster-difference is tubby won a title with someone else's guys so he is now untouchable!

very little difference in brew/tubby-tubby played it smart and let brew talk which has allowed tubby to sit under the radar! that and the fact brew has been 1 and done twice in post season play and tubby will be 1-3 in post season play-unless one of you try to say winning games in the nit counts as postseason play!

Iowa spent less than half what Minnesota spent this past season on recruiting. For twice the results.

Iowa spent less than half what Minnesota spent this past season on recruiting. For twice the results.

It's pretty easy to have "twice the results":rolleyes: when you have twice as many wins.

Hope this helps.

I originally said "Why don't Brewster apologists want the article read? Its fair criticism. After the dismal year the Gophers had, its refreshing."

After another read, the article actually is kind to Brewster--suggesting the 4th year might be the charm. Also, the article uses the more favorable Rivals rating saying Gophers recruiting class was 6th in BT rather than Scout's rank which is last in BT.

Top Bottom