Dabo: It's chaos right now. Tampering galore. Adults manipulating young men. Education is like the last thing right now.

It’s really hard to take Dabo and these other coaches seriously when they get on their high horse about education and what’s good for the kids while they make $7+ million a year off them.
Yup.

My guess is he is not liking all the leverage he and other big time program coaches have lost. Did guys like him not think this was inevitable when their salaries started shooting into the stratosphere?

They stick it to the fans and the now legal bagmen to pay exorbitant salaries to the likes of Dabo and company. The NIL policy legalizes paying for college recruits. It is all about winning the National Title at all costs.

The NCAA doesn't want to bite the hands that feeds it. In basketball, not North Carolina or Kentucky. The Gophers were right for the picking.

If they want to do something right, why don't they unvacate all the Gopher records from Bill Musselman, Jim Dutcher, and Clem Haskins Eras? https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Minnesota_Golden_Gophers_men's_basketball

North Carolina and Kentucky threw in some powerful legislators and influential people to twist their whole narratives.

There are haves and have-nots in college sports. Enforcement only applies to the down-trodden programs.

Last edited:

IRS is going to have to hire extra people to audit all the NIL agreements and businesses. I know nothing about how this works, but I imagine the parents are going to be on the hook for this if they are claiming their child on their taxes. W9 for anything over $599 I believe

IRS is going to have to hire extra people to audit all the NIL agreements and businesses. I know nothing about how this works, but I imagine the parents are going to be on the hook for this if they are claiming their child on their taxes. W9 for anything over $599 I believe
I haven't seen my tax return yet, LOL!

How can we expect the IRS to catch NIL cheaters? Like a million Chinese charging against a few allied battalions in the Korean War, good luck IRS. Oh yes. Let's pick a powerless team to set an example for the rest of college sports. Do the Gophers have any new scandals?

Just like any other big change there will be bumps and growing pains along the way. The complaints of coaches like Leach, Dabo, and Kiffin aren't completely wrong, but they also don't acknowledge the clear positives of moves like NIL, transfer portal, etc. None of us knows whether there's more or less shady sh!t going on now than there was 2 years ago, but I do have confidence the system will improve with time and bad actors will get called out from time to time.

I do know one thing: I trust Fleck to make the most of the system. The dude is a smart, savvy recruiter and program builder. We already see him doing things like:
  • Talking guys into returning for a 6th year
  • Filling immediate needs with mature, experienced college players in the portal
  • Targeting more developmental recruits -- especially high ceiling local kids who need a few years to develop and might be less likely to transfer if buried on the depth chart after year 1 or 2. Just this year you've got Gerlach, Hoskins, Alvarez, Nelson, and to a lesser extent Beers.

For God's sake, quit acting like this hasn't been the case in big time athletics for decades. This is and has been reality in college football and basketball since virtually the beginning. It's frankly hilarious that a guy like Dabo Swinney is all outraged at how dirty college football is. Quick heads up to everybody: Division I revenue sports are (and will continue to be) as corrupt and unethical as ever.
He is just pissed all his depth guys will now transfer.

I see some very “progressive” people pushing for very libertarian policy that will eventually hurt college scholarship availability at many programs - and upward mobility, IMO.
How?
That makes no sense. Still the same number of scholarships available. Sure maybe a few skilled guys play a bit more than they otherwise would have but overall it will be negligible.

To his defense he was at Alabama before Saban while they weren't as good and he built Clemson. Maybe he follows the rules.

How?
That makes no sense. Still the same number of scholarships available. Sure maybe a few skilled guys play a bit more than they otherwise would have but overall it will be negligible.

I‘m talking about the push to make players employees of the schools and the downward spiral/aftermath, Title IX implications, and so on. Yes, no school has dropped anything yet.

Unrestricted salaries and unrestricted free agency? There happens to be a name for that: It's called the free market. Supposedly, it works quite well... at least for some.

The truth is, all red-blooded, patriotic Americans love, love, love the free market — but only if it comes with certain limitations.

A big change has now occurred, and the free market has suddenly become more free.

But, somehow, when more freedom leads to people who had been at the bottom of the economic food chain getting an opportunity to make more money... well, we aren't always comfortable with that much freedom.

It's okay for the rich and powerful to buy politicians and rig the game in their own favor, in order to keep getting richer and more powerful — but maybe not so okay for people at the bottom of the ladder to move up a rung or two.

There are no “free” markets but I suppose that’s arguable and you might be able to change my mind. That’s an off topic board discussion.

Look, I’m a huge proponent of the theory of unintended consequences. There are always downstream consequences to policy changes. Fair to argue what those are, winners/losers of policy change.

It's NEVER been about the education of these young men... it's always been a out making big-time bucks

To some extent absolutely. Just as athletes play for recognition, fame, congress with their chosen sex, and yep, money. People go to school to make money too.

The argument is more about what’s fair, what promotes competition and what should be allowed/disallowed. Should we keep current chaos. I don't know. I see potential problems downstream.

None of us knows whether there's more or less shady sh!t going on now than there was 2 years ago, but I do have confidence the system will improve with time and bad actors will get called out from time to time.
The audacity of the pancake club at Texas indicates that the most egregious offenders will, in fact, not get called out. The race to bottom is on and things are moving very fast.

I think P.J. Fleck would beg to differ... I'm pretty sure education does matter to him. In fact, I don't believe he'll even try to recruit a player who's only interest in college is to play football, regardless of how many ***** are after their name... and I am more than good with that.

That's nice. I long ago accepted that college football is a scummy, win at all costs business. At that point, I began to enjoy it much more.

Well, it’s possible but what would happen if eg in the NFL there were unrestricted salaries and unrestricted free agency. I don’t know if that works. Maybe?

Should there be any restrictions on schools, players? Salary, eligibility, etc. This is the ultimate question. I see some very “progressive” people pushing for very libertarian policy that will eventually hurt college scholarship availability at many programs - and upward mobility, IMO. The current system has positives and some negatives.
Nice post. If a player and family seems to feel they were screwed over the first go around, they will definitely look closer at the programs who deliver on what the preach. I do not expect the athletes to stop dreaming about the helmet schools and committing, I do expect they will no longer put up with unfulfilled promises.

With that salary, he can't have many seasons like this year...although his buyout for the school is ridiculously high.

There are no “free” markets but I suppose that’s arguable and you might be able to change my mind. That’s an off topic board discussion.

Look, I’m a huge proponent of the theory of unintended consequences. There are always downstream consequences to policy changes. Fair to argue what those are, winners/losers of policy change.

Really? No free markets?

Can a company offer you more money than you're making now, in order to entice you to leave your current employer and come to work for them? Or does some bogus "governing body" prohibit them from doing so?

You know the answer to that.

The athletes put their bodies on the line, take the physical risks and produce the entertainment 'product' that's being sold here, in a multi-billion dollar industry. Other people are allowed to become very wealthy off of the athlete's efforts. Why should the players be the only ones whose compensation is restricted?

Really? No free markets?

Can a company offer you more money than you're making now, in order to entice you to leave your current employer and come to work for them? Or does some bogus "governing body" prohibit them from doing so?

You know the answer to that.

The athletes put their bodies on the line, take the physical risks and produce the entertainment 'product' that's being sold here, in a multi-billion dollar industry. Other people are allowed to become very wealthy off of the athlete's efforts. Why should the players be the only ones whose compensation is restricted?

There is nothing, then, preventing you, me, or anyone else from paying a football player, or starting a pro football league (except millions of dollars). The problem is creating enough interest and ad/gate/ticket/merchandise revenue to keep the doors open because nobody cares, or not enough people care.

There is an incredible amount of dumb money sloshing around looking for yield in all sorts of insanely stupid ways. Why aren’t pro football leagues popping up all over? The problem is nobody wants to watch pro players that are not associated with their favorite NFL team, or amateurs associated with their college teams. These leagues have not been good investments, except for the few skimming off the top.

Complain about people that don’t watch the channels carrying USFL, XFL, and the like. Blame the NFL and it’s players for restricting their eligibility and access.

The bottom line is people care far more about the team or the institution, or more importantly the idea of the institution, or their shared interest in a team with family and friends and the bonds that creates, than about the players. Players come and go.

Last edited:

The bottom line is people care far more about the team or the institution, or more importantly the idea of the institution, or their shared interest in a team with family and friends and the bonds that creates, than about the players. Players come and go.

So f the players you're saying....nice....

So f the players you're saying....nice....

Not at all. Tens of thousands of players have been offered incredible opportunities. A select few should be able to move up to the NFL without artificial restrictions. Your comment should be directed more at the NFL and it’s player association.

The portal madness is brand new to college football. Give it a few years and things will settle down. Right now, all of the athletes see the benefits & freedom the portal provides. The lure of NIL money to specific schools, as well. However, after some of the negatives start being reported on (stories of kids leaving schools, thinking the grass was greener only to find out it wasn't) i think things will calm down quite a bit. The only issue that will remain is the non-power 5 schools are becoming feeder programs for the big boys. I don't see how that will change. Any kid that goes to a mid-major, 1AA or D2 school and has big success is going to jump into the portal and look to catch on with a bigger school and i just don't see how to change that.

The only issue that will remain is the non-power 5 schools are becoming feeder programs for the big boys. I don't see how that will change. Any kid that goes to a mid-major, 1AA or D2 school and has big success is going to jump into the portal and look to catch on with a bigger school and i just don't see how to change that.
Unless it's a kid that really breaks through as a late bloomer superstar, I don't think this will be as prevalent as some fear. I think a lot of guys would rather shine where they are.

Unless it's a kid that really breaks through as a late bloomer superstar, I don't think this will be as prevalent as some fear. I think a lot of guys would rather shine where they are.
Maybe. I see it happening right now, but it might mellow out.

I just see the allure of playing in big stadiums on national TV with the ability to enhance your draft profile as enticements too hard to resist vs. playing Tuesday night MACtion games or worse yet, no national TV games for 1AA or D2 kids.

I'm not bothered by the portal or NIL opportunities, but this one aspect does worry me a bit.

I haven't seen my tax return yet, LOL!

How can we expect the IRS to catch NIL cheaters? Like a million Chinese charging against a few allied battalions in the Korean War, good luck IRS. Oh yes. Let's pick a powerless team to set an example for the rest of college sports. Do the Gophers have any new scandals?
Never underestimate the will of the IRS. I mean, The IRS does actually spell "theirs".

If coaches are making what they make and players can make money on the side, the only way to keep anything in check is academics. If they can do that in any meaningful way, things should calm down.

Fleck really stays out the of the politics of it and deflects questions by basically saying he adapts to the rules and hopes they declare some rules around signing and transfers. He said he likes the ability of kids signing early.

Never underestimate the will of the IRS. I mean, The IRS does actually spell "theirs".
If you have ever been audited, pay the &@?! bill. It is painful, but the least path of resistance. You feel the wrath and you will feel better afterwards to get them of your back .

If you have ever been audited, pay the &@?! bill. It is painful, but the least path of resistance. You feel the wrath and you will feel better afterwards to get them of your back .
Facts.

never been audited, but back in my drinking days, I "neglected" to file tax returns for a couple of years. and then the IRS came calling and introduced me to terms like "back taxes, interest and penalties."

Just about everyone on here is so happy that college football is becoming minor league pro football and that is fine, but remember that this is a board of college football fanatics. Many, many college fans have just said, "Why watch minor league professional football, when I could tune in to the NFL?"

It is the way it is, but don't completely discount the many that just don't recognize college football anymore. The college game needs lots of fans to survive, not just the ones that say I don't care about the rapid change away from amateurism. Maybe this bunch is thrilled with the pro feel of the game now, but look at the stands. The attendance numbers nationally aren't reflecting this belief. It is something to be concerned about.

Top Bottom