D1 players from Minnesota

Pewterschmidt

Reaction score
I know the next couple of years the state of Minnesota will be producing talent that has rarely been seen around here. However, the past 4 years has just been hideous and I think it's part of the reason why we're in the position we're in (Joey King is the only Minnesota HS product on the Gophers).

Try to come up with a starting 5 taking any D1 player from Minnesota going into this season. It's pretty ugly.

My attempt:

Alec Brown - Green Bay
Siyani Chambers - Harvard
Jordair Jett - St Louis
Sam Dower - Gonzaga
Ethan Wragge - Creighton

Others considered:

Jonah Travis - Harvard
Ross Travis - Penn St
Seth Hinrichs - Lafayette
Joey King - Minnesota
Marcus Marshall - Missouri St
Kyle Washington - NC St
Marshall Bjorklund - NDSU
Kevin Noreen - West Virginia

That's not very impressive.

Good list, Pewter. Definitely not the impressive list that we've had in some recent years.

I know the next couple of years the state of Minnesota will be producing talent that has rarely been seen around here. However, the past 4 years has just been hideous and I think it's part of the reason why we're in the position we're in (Joey King is the only Minnesota HS product on the Gophers).

Your post comments on the past 4 years being hideous, but then evidences the 2013-14 season only. The issue there is you're ignoring quite a bit of talent that was playing as recently as ~6 months ago.

Muscala, Wolters, Lockett, Berggren, Emory, Bruesewitz, etc.

Who is getting older and may step up this year? We shall see, but Moats, Zierdan, Lumpkin, etc. are also with bigger programs.

I'm OK with you saying Minnesota talent making an impact in college basketball during the 2013-14 may be down... but the "past 4 years" comment seems a bit misplaced.

Your post comments on the past 4 years being hideous, but then evidences the 2013-14 season only. The issue there is you're ignoring quite a bit of talent that was playing as recently as ~6 months ago.

Muscala, Wolters, Lockett, Berggren, Emory, Bruesewitz, etc.

Who is getting older and may step up this year? We shall see, but Moats, Zierdan, Lumpkin, etc. are also with bigger programs.

I'm OK with you saying Minnesota talent making an impact in college basketball during the 2013-14 may be down... but the "past 4 years" comment seems a bit misplaced.

Past 4 HS classes. Not past 4 years in CB.

Missing Joe Coleman too. He was probably the highest profile Minnesota recruit of those years.

Missing Joe Coleman too. He was probably the highest profile Minnesota recruit of those years.

That's a big miss. Alec Brown is a borderline first round pick in '14 and Siyani Chambers is coming off an impressive year. Not to mention I expect a solid year for Travis, he's a beast.

If you stop cherry picking and next year broaden it out 6 years (including GWs guys) you have a nice group of talent coming out of the state, with a drop of in the middle.

Wisky is not anywhere in the analysis. LOVE IT! :clap:

Try to come up with a starting 5 taking any D1 player from Minnesota going into this season. It's pretty ugly.

My attempt:

Alec Brown - Green Bay
Siyani Chambers - Harvard
Jordair Jett - St Louis
Sam Dower - Gonzaga
Ethan Wragge - Creighton

Others considered:

Jonah Travis - Harvard
Ross Travis - Penn St
Seth Hinrichs - Lafayette
Joey King - Minnesota
Marcus Marshall - Missouri St
Kyle Washington - NC St
Marshall Bjorklund - NDSU
Kevin Noreen - West Virginia

That's not very impressive.

That's a big miss. Alec Brown is a borderline first round pick in '14 and Siyani Chambers is coming off an impressive year. Not to mention I expect a solid year for Travis, he's a beast.

If you stop cherry picking and next year broaden it out 6 years (including GWs guys) you have a nice group of talent coming out of the state, with a drop of in the middle.

1. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Coleman is eligible to play this year. My goal was to show what the state of Minnesota had to produce for this particular year. Even if he wer eligible, he wouldn't drastically alter the list. It's Joe Coleman.

2. Don't understand why cherry-picking applies here. My line of demarcation is very well defined. Players eligible to play D1 this year. Pretty simple. Cherry-picking would be to go back 6 years as it's much more arbitrary than the definition I'm using. My point being that teams like Minnesota can be at the mercy of the in-state talent and right now for the 2013-2014 year, there wasn't much for Minnesota to pick from (illustrated by the eligible players)

Looking at that list it seems like the starters are a lot of under the radar guys that quite frankly I would rather have than the likes of Oto, King and Mav. Your bench Washington when he re classed was a highly rated recruit. I wouldn't mind swapping Wash, Brown, Chambers for the above three. Is Noreen getting any minutes in Appellation land?

Looking at that list it seems like the starters are a lot of under the radar guys that quite frankly I would rather have than the likes of Oto, King and Mav. Your bench Washington when he re classed was a highly rated recruit. I wouldn't mind swapping Wash, Brown, Chambers for the above three. Is Noreen getting any minutes in Appellation land?

Personally the player I'd like the most on this Gopher team would be Wragge. That kid can shoot. Chambers and Brown would be the only other 2 that I would like. Brown is Colton Iverson as far as I'm concerned (couldn't thrive in the B1G IMO) and Chambers would look nice in M&G but not someone that would really missed out on IMO.

Huggins stated that Noreen is key to the WV team. He's their glue guy.

Noreen started 3/4 of the season last year. Looks like he's playin an EE type role for WV

Personally the player I'd like the most on this Gopher team would be Wragge. That kid can shoot. Chambers and Brown would be the only other 2 that I would like. Brown is Colton Iverson as far as I'm concerned (couldn't thrive in the B1G IMO) and Chambers would look nice in M&G but not someone that would really missed out on IMO.

IDK I liked Colt, he brought grit that Sampson didn't, but than again I think EE is the same guy, so don't really need two guys like that, I can see your point there. If Noreen's the glue guy, than that sounds like the type of player we definitely need at the 4 spot. Joey King made me cringe at the scrimmage, but who knows may be he was nervous, see what him and Oto bring in the regular season

Don't understand why cherry-picking applies here. My line of demarcation is very well defined. Players eligible to play D1 this year.

Charles Barkley terrible post, waste of a thread.

Minnesota will be producing talent that has rarely been seen around here. However, the past 4 years has just been hideous.

Not very clear.

Past 4 HS classes. Not past 4 years in CB.

You have two points you are making, Joe Coleman is part of this statement and the past 4 years being hideous.

the players

Brown is a reed thin 7 footer with shooting skills, Iverson was a horse with enough pro potential to get drafted. Just because Iverson wasn't used right doesnt mean he couldn't thrive in the big ten. The big ten is not better than the NBA. Brown needed a few years and he is a late bloomer he could play in the big ten, but he would need a physical player next to him.

Noreen averaged 3 pts and 4.4 reb for a bad WV team. Solid guy but no game changer.

Brown is Colton Iverson as far as I'm concerned (couldn't thrive in the B1G IMO) and Chambers would look nice in M&G but not someone that would really missed out on IMO.

My point being that teams like Minnesota can be at the mercy of the in-state talent and right now for the 2013-2014 year, there wasn't much for Minnesota to pick from (illustrated by the eligible players)

This would be a valid point if Minnesota had a rich tradition of keeping hometown talent in state... Which is far from the case, and for what its worth, isn't really the case for many state universities. The studs want to go elsewhere and the home town team usually overlooks the under the radar types because they are out looking for other states studs....

I'm a bit puzzled by the contentiousness extended towards Pewterschmidt's OP here; it seems like argument for argument's sake to say that the quality of MN preps in college BB this year matches up with the recent history of talent such as Royce White, Rodney Williams, Mbakwe, Wolters, Woodside, Hoffarber, and Nolen. There was a dry spell of top level D-1 talent over the span of the last few years in MN, simple as that.

I would also argue the point that MN hasn't kept their homegrown talent traditionally; going back to the '70s/'80s, the D-1 talent was pretty sparse, but that talent came to MN: McHale, Olberding, Breuer, Ben Coleman, Jim Peterson, as examples. Again, there was a dearth of talent when Clem was rebuilding from the Mitch Lee scandal, but Tim Hanson, Kevin Lynch, Chad Kolander, Ernest N., all were home grown products who were the top prep players being produced by the state of MN. When Clem got things cooking, he had some notable misses (Khalid El-Amin, Darius Lane, Troy Bell, Jake Sullivan), but the tale of El-Amin's decommitment from the "U" is well-known, Bell and Sullivan were looked past by Clem and I'm not sure if the same occurred with Lane, but my memory tells me Clem didn't go after him hard. However, Sam Jacobson and John Thomas were MN preps that started on the '97 team and Joel Pryzbilla was the last elite recruit that Clem brought to campus.

Monson actually did pretty good at keeping the local talent at home, for awhile-Bauer, Rickert, Hargrow, Humphries, Dan Coleman, after a brief trickle of talent (Nick Horvath, Adam Boone, Ben Johnson) in the dog days of the transition. However, as the wheels started to fall off for Monson, the likes of Cole Aldrich, Isiah Dahlman, and Jordan Taylor didn't see the "U" as a viable option; Jon Leuer was chased too late by Monson; Jared Berggren was a nice player, but not an elite recruit. When Tubby came in, he created instant excitement by getting verbals from White and Williams, which unfortunately did not come to fruition like we all hoped. The discussions about Woodside and Wolters have been repeated ad nauseum, but both were certainly viable, yet overlooked, D-1 talents during Tubby's era.

There were a lot of reasons for the malaise that affected the program while Tubby was here, but perhaps an overlooked reason is there wasn't a great base of local talent to tap into after the W+W year. While every program has to recruit nationally, if not internationally, most programs are able to secure a solid start with a home or regional base of talent. The last few years have been pretty dry in that regard for Minnesota.

One last note-by my count, Minnesota has produced six McD's All-Americans in its history-four of those six began their college careers at the "U" (Humphries, Peterson, Pryzbilla, and Rickert) with Aldrich and El-Amin having headed elsewhere.

A quick edit-I didn't include Dusty Rychart, Jeff Hagen, Bob Martin, Trevor Winter and others in this analysis, since they were not highly regarded recruits coming out of HS.

Another is Dyami Starks a Redshirt Junior at Bryant from Duluth, who was named to the Preseason All-NEC Team a few days ago.

Great points coolhand. Another thing to consider is how going straight to the NBA or the "one and dones" have changed the college landscape. The best kids are thinking NBA as high school sophmores. I recently posted how often players in the top 10 or 20 stayed in their home state and it was very low like 2 out of 10. And that usually occured when the school was a traditional power house. We can always hope to get Minnesota's best kids, but I think when those kids are top 50 to assume its a done deal based on what was done 10 + years ago is ignoring recent statistics.

I'm a bit puzzled by the contentiousness extended towards Pewterschmidt's OP here; it seems like argument for argument's sake to say that the quality of MN preps in college BB this year matches up with the recent history of talent such as Royce White, Rodney Williams, Mbakwe, Wolters, Woodside, Hoffarber, and Nolen. There was a dry spell of top level D-1 talent over the span of the last few years in MN, simple as that.

I would also argue the point that MN hasn't kept their homegrown talent traditionally; going back to the '70s/'80s, the D-1 talent was pretty sparse, but that talent came to MN: McHale, Olberding, Breuer, Ben Coleman, Jim Peterson, as examples. Again, there was a dearth of talent when Clem was rebuilding from the Mitch Lee scandal, but Tim Hanson, Kevin Lynch, Chad Kolander, Ernest N., all were home grown products who were the top prep players being produced by the state of MN. When Clem got things cooking, he had some notable misses (Khalid El-Amin, Darius Lane, Troy Bell, Jake Sullivan), but the tale of El-Amin's decommitment from the "U" is well-known, Bell and Sullivan were looked past by Clem and I'm not sure if the same occurred with Lane, but my memory tells me Clem didn't go after him hard. However, Sam Jacobson and John Thomas were MN preps that started on the '97 team and Joel Pryzbilla was the last elite recruit that Clem brought to campus.

Monson actually did pretty good at keeping the local talent at home, for awhile-Bauer, Rickert, Hargrow, Humphries, Dan Coleman, after a brief trickle of talent (Nick Horvath, Adam Boone, Ben Johnson) in the dog days of the transition. However, as the wheels started to fall off for Monson, the likes of Cole Aldrich, Isiah Dahlman, and Jordan Taylor didn't see the "U" as a viable option; Jon Leuer was chased too late by Monson; Jared Berggren was a nice player, but not an elite recruit. When Tubby came in, he created instant excitement by getting verbals from White and Williams, which unfortunately did not come to fruition like we all hoped. The discussions about Woodside and Wolters have been repeated ad nauseum, but both were certainly viable, yet overlooked, D-1 talents during Tubby's era.

There were a lot of reasons for the malaise that affected the program while Tubby was here, but perhaps an overlooked reason is there wasn't a great base of local talent to tap into after the W+W year. While every program has to recruit nationally, if not internationally, most programs are able to secure a solid start with a home or regional base of talent. The last few years have been pretty dry in that regard for Minnesota.

One last note-by my count, Minnesota has produced six McD's All-Americans in its history-four of those six began their college careers at the "U" (Humphries, Peterson, Pryzbilla, and Rickert) with Aldrich and El-Amin having headed elsewhere.

A quick edit-I didn't include Dusty Rychart, Jeff Hagen, Bob Martin, Trevor Winter and others in this analysis, since they were not highly regarded recruits coming out of HS.

I agree with this post. Teams like Minnesota are dependent to some extent on the talent in-state, which they have a built-in advantage with usually. If the talent is down, which it has been with the last four classes, then Minnesota has to go to other teams' backyards to fight for recruits. Certainly, we would expect them to still compete in those situations, but it's easier if you've got the situation we've got for 14, 15, and 16, of having big time recruits at home, who are familiar with the program.

I notice another big miss from the original post in this thread,
but I'll keep it to myself for 2 reasons.

1- I'm not sure if we are even allowed to say his name on this board.

2- I don't feel like pissing any angry posters off today.

But, I will say I told you so by March...

I do agree with CoolhandGopher's post, he included a lot of history and insight.
He also mentioned 2 of my favorite Minnesota High School players of all-time...
Moe Hargrow & Khalid.

But he failed to mention Allen Anderson as a big miss by Monson.

I notice another big miss from the original post in this thread,
but I'll keep it to myself for 2 reasons.

1- I'm not sure if we are even allowed to say his name on this board.

2- I don't feel like pissing any angry posters off today.

But, I will say I told you so by March...

I do agree with CoolhandGopher's post, he included a lot of history and insight.
He also mentioned 2 of my favorite Minnesota High School players of all-time...
Moe Hargrow & Khalid.

But he failed to mention Allen Anderson as a big miss by Monson.

http://www.sanjacsports.com/node/8713 - I wonder who???

Wasn't there another kid from Duluth that was a talked about D1/Gopher prospect. Think he graduated hs two years ago, but can't think of it.

Seem there are probably several D1 guys not listed on the original post, like Zach Stahl.

Moe! Watching Morris highlight videos, it reminded me of Moe, except Morris has some arch to his shot.

Wasn't there another kid from Duluth that was a talked about D1/Gopher prospect. Think he graduated hs two years ago, but can't think of it.

Seem there are probably several D1 guys not listed on the original post, like Zach Stahl.

Moe! Watching Morris highlight videos, it reminded me of Moe, except Morris has some arch to his shot.

Johnny Woodard is the kid from Duluth. Freshman at NDSCS JC. I'd keep an eye on him.

Haha. You are exactly right.

Except now he's in the Missouri Valley Conference- Illinois State
http://www.goredbirds.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/zach_lofton_850522.html

Zach Stahl was a miss by the also, he's very doing good at NorthEastern.
Estan Tyler is decent also, I thought I heard he was transfering from U of Missouri-KC.

The kid from Duluth you were thinkin of is Johnny Woodward. I always kinda felt like he was a project, but he does have a lot of potential. Last I heard he was at San Jac, but left due to personal reasons.

Haha. You are exactly right.

Except now he's in the Missouri Valley Conference- Illinois State
http://www.goredbirds.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/zach_lofton_850522.html

Zach Stahl was a miss by the also, he's very doing good at NorthEastern.
Estan Tyler is decent also, I thought I heard he was transfering from U of Missouri-KC.

The kid from Duluth you were thinkin of is Johnny Woodward. I always kinda felt like he was a project, but he does have a lot of potential. Last I heard he was at San Jac, but left due to personal reasons.

nm

Since he hasn't logged a single D1 stat besides JUCO as of yet, I have no merit to say he is better than anybody on the list
except Kyle Washington.

But I expect he will have a good career, possible newcomer of the year in the MVC.
By March I will have reason to say how many players on the list he is better than.

I have nothing to base my opinion on at this point, except his high school career, JUCO, HP Summer League Performance(which can be seen in the "HP Summer League thread"), and the 3 years of eligibility he has at Illinois State.

He who shall not be named is exciting to watch though. I'll be keeping an eye out.
Sorry to if I pissed off any angry posters.

Top Bottom